Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 November 2010
Are we looking at the same book??? Ever wanted to design your own knitwear? Let Shirley be your guide. I must admit that I am both a knitter and a knitwear designer. I was attracted to the fabulous design on the front cover. Let's start at the beginning, this book is beautifully produced with a spiral binding so the pages lie flat - it's well laid out and illustrated. However that's nothing without the contents doing their job. And they do. Shirley takes you from the initial research and ideas for design right through to finishing techniques. In between is everything you need to know. I was astounded by how many designs she has included - these could lead to numerous combinations for the avid designer. There are useful worksheets you could photocopy or scan and use for each design you create. She shows you how to create a schematic - something I have not seen in any other book. Learn about yarn and its construction, selecting a patten stitch and combining stitches. Get the maths right and discover what you need to know about fit. The basic pattens can easily be adapted. I love the choice of necklines and sleeves - giving you alternatives that you can expand. I think the projects are great too. I would recommend this to any budding knitwear designer and to anyone who is interested in what lies behind making good knitting patterns. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 20 December 2010
Fantastic book, I wasn't very interested in the patterns mostly, but the tutorials are absolutely fab. If ever you have found a pattern you like, but want to knit it in a different yarn, then this is the book. The tutorials are easy to use and lead you through to design your own knitwear. I love it.
on 29 August 2010
this is an excellent book for anyone who wants to design or adjust a knitting pattern so that it fits each individual

the lessons and advice are clearly set out and explained so that you can be sure that what you knit will fit the person

for whom you are knitting this is an essential buy for any knitter who want to make perfectly fitted garments

each section is fully explained and it is reasonably priced
on 8 June 2014
I am rather beginner in knitting and I knit just scarfs because form is rather difficult for me but I am great at patterns and this book helped me a lot with the form. You can easily measure the body and the whole process gets a fresh start and steady flow without it making you feel overwhelmed. The content is very thorough and covers what you need if you plan too first your first garmets. Enjoy knitting!
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2011
What a brilliant book! I love the spiral binding so I can lay it flat on a page to work through a topic as I knit or sketch. A fantastic resource for anyone wanting to design knitwear either for themselves (to get an accurate fit) or for others. Lots of advice on subjects such as ease, measuring, necklines, waist shaping, garment lengths, sleeve types, fitting, seaming, construction methods, finishing details, adding patterns etc. If you want to make knits that fit or even to adapt a pattern you've already bought then buy this book.
on 14 March 2015
There is loads to learn from this book, but it really only covers adult female figures. It would be appropriate for either knitters or sewers, as it really covers pattern making in great detail. Well worth space on your shelf, but as I say limited in subject matter.
on 20 July 2010
I found this disappointing, for several reasons. The designing instructions are extremely detailed - I think unnecessarily so. Cheryl Brunette's "Sweaters 101" is much better, I think, because she gives you basic principles and one clear example for each design. Paden's version of the way to calculate the sleeve-head for a set-in sleeve is a bit more approachable, but I haven't tried it, so can't say whether it works, whereas I know Brunette's does. Interestingly, Paden makes a great deal of use of Brunette's "More or less" formula - acknowledged, of course, but it's clearer in the original! Paden does rather talk down to her readers, walking us through simple calculations in detail: this might possibly be helpful for someone who had never tried to do any calculating for him/herself. One idea of hers that I have never seen anywhere else is to have more, rather than fewer, stitches in the ribbing than in the main body of the garment. I haven't tried this, and suppose it would work for someone who didn't want the ribbed edges to pull in, but in that case, why rib at all? Paden gives a lot of detail on how to make different shapes of collar, sleeve, etc., and tells you how to design knitted skirts and dresses (no-nos, as far as I'm concerned). She expresses no opinion of particular shapes (e.g. wide square necklines, which seldom work), but simply tells you how to do them. If you are a complete beginner at work-it-out-yourself I think this book would be oppressively detailed, and if you have some experience it is irritatingly simple in places, but is a fairly comprehensive reference. Someone else has pointed out that there is no mention of top-down, and a strong tendency to assume that you will be working the whole garment in separate pieces to be sewn together - possibly because the book applies equally to machine knitting (though this isn't claimed). Quite a lot of space is devoted to detailed patterns for extremely elaborate garments such as the one on the cover.
on 7 March 2016
The book's title a comprehensive guide says it all. Packed with information and well illustrated it reads well and the patterns seem easy to understand. For fashion that is allways in style, this book is a delight.
on 1 May 2015
Very informative book. So glad I bought it as it explains so well how to customise patterns which is something I was unable to do. Very happy with this purchase which I will refer to time and again.
on 15 April 2013
Great reference book for designing your own knitwear. Written clearly, easy to understand with plenty of information for new and experienced knitwear designers.