5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful
As ever, the most inspirational knitting patterns are always to be found in books, and this is certainly no exception!
I absolutely love the fact that many of the projects are much more designer looking, sometimes in a subtle way, sometimes more obviously. Photography beautiful.

There are some absolutely stunning patterns in here, LOVE the Holey Top - a...
Published 19 months ago by J. Penman

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Cover, expected more!!
Published 21 months ago by Perthshire Girl

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Cover, expected more!!, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool (Paperback)
I agree with the previous review. I expected so much from this book based on the lovely cover. The photography is beautiful but the garments to knit are a wee bit disapointing. There are probably 3 maybe 4 that I will want to knit, the cover one being one of them. The instructions look clear enough, there are charts and written instructions. I haven't started any yet so I cannot say how accurate they are. Patterns include jumpers, cardigans, dresses and various accessories. All patterns are knitted in Marks and Kattens Eco Wool, each pattern states the thickness of the wool required so substituting isn't a problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars a lovely book but..., 10 April 2013
This review is from: Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool (Paperback)
This is a lovely book full of lovely patterns, HOWEVER, there is something very strange going on with the tension guides, which makes it rather difficult to know how the garments will turn out. There are several garments all using the same yarn and the same size needles, but the tension guide for each one is different. Well that just doesn't work. The tension should be the same if the yarn and needles are the same. This is why I've only given 3 stars for this book. All I can suggest is that you choose a yarn which knits up to the tension given, and hope for the best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointed, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool (Paperback)
I don't know why I buy pattern books, particularly without seeing their content fully, because I'm always disappointed. There's really only two patterns I like the look of and plan on making in this book, both on the cover and one of which I'll be altering to be more suitable for me. But the cover is pretty inspiring nonetheless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many errors - more time unpicking than actually knittine!, 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool (Paperback)
I ordered this book 6 months ago and yes the patterns are beautiful and very inspirational HOWEVER I am currenlty knitting the raglan sweater with pockets and OMG - the instructions are so wrong I have spent more time pulling it back and reknitting than any other jumper I have made.

The back ribbing is incorrect, as is the length you need to knit so it marries up with your front piece and I have now discovered the shaping neck is incorrect after BO15 leaving 28 stitches on each side is wrong and I had to unpick the BO as it should actually read BO5!

There are other patterns I would love to knit up in the book but after my experience of this one I think it will be going on the book shelf to be looked at but never used! Such a shame as it is beautiful but way too many errors for me

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful, 7 Feb 2013
J. Penman (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool (Paperback)

There are some absolutely stunning patterns in here, LOVE the Holey Top - a soft, loose sweater with a real designer edge, incredibly appealing and wearable, the Pleated cap, gloves, neckwarmer, the Cabled Cardigan and the Sweater with Relief Stitch Borders is a lovely slouchy, cosy, unusual comfort blanket with sleeves!

If you are looking for patterns of garments that could have come from your local high end boutique then there are certainly a few in here, and you get to choose the colour and, of course, have all the fun and excitement of creating it yourself!

The big question is how many knitting projects can a girl have on the go at once !.......now off to get several sets of 'pointy sticks' out, look through my stash AND have a trip to my local wool shop ( huge fun) and make a start, whoo oooo :))

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of my favourites, 18 Jan 2014
Lestellie (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool (Paperback)
There are a lot of patterns in the book but to be honest if I'd been able to view them in advance I wouldn't have bought the book as they're a bit too plain for my liking.
I had a flick though it and it's now at the back of the craft shelf!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many errors, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool (Paperback)
Patterns look lovely - and also simple. And they would be too - but such a lot of errors. I am knitting one now ('sweater with relief stitch borders') with pencil in hand correcting all the errors as I go. Such a lot of bother. This sweater would be easy for a beginner except for having to correct the errors.
ALSO the 'Abbreviation' section only covers a minority of the abbreviations used (American). I had to hunt the internet for an explanation of the abbrevations used in the pattern.
In the 'techniques' section there is one page on simple crochet. No explanation whatsoever on how to make a 'bobble' as used in this pattern. It's been several years since I've knitted a bobble and it seems my memory doesn't go that far back. It would have been very nice to have the explanation of the method in this book - instead of having to hunt through other books (and, again, the internet) to renew my memory re bobbles.
I can recommend that this book should be thrown out of the nearest window. Not done that yet myself - but I may well do so if I find any more errors. :o(
I have noticed that the people giving this book 5 stars in their reviews haven't actually tried to knit the patterns!
UPDATE. This may well be 'out of the window' time!
It says "beg at right of Patt 4 chart". Pardon? Where is the Patt 4 chart? There are Patt 1, 2 and 3 charts. But no Patt 4.
This book must be the worst knitting book ever for errors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought it!, 30 Nov 2012
This review is from: Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool (Paperback)
I loved the book from the first time I received it couple days ago and could finally go throught it. The patterns are not usual stuff you can find everywhere else. I love cardigans, sweaters, accessories. Few dresses and skirt pattern I could not find anywhere.

I went through few patterns and instructions are clear and easy to follow, I am going to do several. Only will substitue the yarn, but it's easy, because it is always written what kind of yarn it is made of.

I can see it is not for everyone but don't see anything eccentric in it. They are wearable knits. Look at the cover it is exactly what you get.

2.0 out of 5 stars shades of winter, 8 Jan 2014
H. Norris - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool (Paperback)
I returned this book as it was not as expected. The wool was unavailable in GB and the European sites were not available in English. The yarn was only available from the USA/Canada

5.0 out of 5 stars nice projects that are just a little bit quirky, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool (Paperback)
Lovely book, nice projects that are just a little bit quirky.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool
Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool by Ingalill Johansson (Paperback - 30 Mar 2013)
16.99