Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 2 November 2011
I've only had this a week or so and am making my third hat from the book. All quick and easy knits, one or two require cabling skills or other techniques all of which are well described in the book so you should be able to follow it.

One pattern (Ripple Hat) I think has errors, it tells the user to knit 44 rows of pattern, when to get the required length it should be 4 repeats of a 20 row pattern plus 4 rows, meaning you need to knit 84 rows to get to the 7 to 8 inch hat height you need before adding gathers/smocking (which reduces the height of the hat to 4.5/5inches before the crown shaping). A minor point, everything else looks fine from what I've read and I do love the designs.

If you like knitting hats or quick gifts, this is a great book. Check the publishers site for errata, the part I mentioned isn't on there yet but I have notified them of the issue so it should be there soon. I've made the Wanderer Cap, the Ripple Hat and the Plait Beanie, next is the cover design with those lovely swirl patterns.

I will be making several more of the patterns for Christmas gifts and Winter wear. If it's not in your stocking this year, treat yourself.
on 30 June 2012
This is a really great book if you are looking for some slightly more unusual hats to make. The patterns are not all-out-wacky, but chic and clever twists on originals that will really make people look twice.

For example, one of my favourites is the Ripple Hat by Melissa Wehrle which is made of a delicate, fuzzy, mohair and silk blend (Rowan Kidsilk) - it has a lightly textured pattern and is embellished with two lace bows. Also lovely is the Layered Cloche by Laura Irwin, which is cute in its asymmetry. The Glashutte Hat by Kate Gagnon Osborn is the perfect winter hat, snug and delicately cabled with a popm pom on top.

The rest of the 25 patterns include beanies, berets and toques quirked up with an unusual bit of cabling, lace pattern, buttons or ear flaps / straps / extra bits. There's only two patterns which include intarsia - one male and one female - which I think good, because it's quite an advanced skill, and the two are gorgeous enough to leave you not wanting more.

It is an American book, so some of the cable and lace patterns have charts to follow - in some instances, they also write out the instructions simultaneously, but others it just says 'follow the chart', so you have to be confident in this. I was worried that the American-ness of the book may also make finding the yarns difficult, but a lot are available over here and details are provided so you can find something similar.

The diagrams and instructions for skills required at the end are thorough and well laid out. A great book if you're looking for something a litte bit different.
on 26 November 2012
"Weekend hats" has a very good variety of designs in different weights of wool and there are several here I would try. I am half-way through my first ever hat (Leaves Long Beanie) and finding it getting easier. I am not an experienced knitter but wanted to try something more challenging on a small scale so that I don't get discouraged. I like the idea of short weekend projects - ideal for a winter evening in. A lot of the patterns use lace or cable stitches with charts (- so far, so good). Only a couple use complex coloured patterns. That's OK because I can't do those yet!

I'm not sure why one reviewer was bothered by using circular needles. It seems straightforward and the knitting doesn't fall off easily, and surely it's fun to learn a different method. I've just ordered a set of circular bamboo needles on Amazon for a few pounds which I think will cover most of the sizes I need for the other designs in this book.

One criticism is that most of the hats seem to be in a small size - even the men's. Only found two so far to fit me without adjustment, but I'm knitting this one for a petite family member and when I start on one for myself I'll just try a larger needle and keep measuring.
on 30 September 2012
Be careful before you buy. These are beautiful, fashionable hats but they are all knit on circular needles.
This may not be a problem for some but if you have not used circular needles before they are rather tricky to
get used to. I managed to convert one pattern to be able to knit it on straight needles and it has turned out
really lovely but some patterns are just too involved. If I had known beforehand then I would not have chosen
this particular book.
on 16 July 2014
You know how it is when you buy a cookery book, which you never actually use, well you won't have this problem with this book.

I've knitted loads of patterns from, some of them more than once. Even people who think that knitting is boring actually take time to look at the hat pictures. The yarns that they suggest are expensive, but because they include the thickness of wool (for example double knit (DK) thickness is size 3) it makes it easier to find a cheaper alternative.

But beware - would need to be a fairly advanced knitter to follow these patterns and most (if not all) of the patterns require circular knitting skills.
on 5 February 2012
If you are into knitting this book is full of attractive and wearable designs with clear patterns. The whole thing results in very is satisfying products. I would recommend any looking for useful items to buy it!

My wife knitted a number and has impressed at the good comments made about the hats.
on 12 June 2013
Great book with clear pics and detailed instructions. The choice of hats is great. Some books have alot of patterns that you wouldn't dream of knitting in a month of Sundays with only one or two good ones. This book is choc-a-block with goodies. Definitely recommended.
on 25 August 2015
Istarted by picking out the hats I really wanted to knit - you know, the patterns you actually buy a book for - and after knitting several of the same decided to branch out into some of the ones that I had discarded as possibilities. I was pleasantly surprised. All patterns are fun, well-written and design-wise have a bit of pizzazz sometimes lacking in run of the mill beanies and other toppers. I would definitely recommend this book to learners and advanced knitters alike. There is something here for everyone.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 27 October 2011
My initial reaction was 'I'd rather wear a tea cosy'. Perhaps I'm not the knitted hat person I thought I was. However, this book is good on techniques if not on design. I like the Cable Toque, Ogee Beanie (although the lack of rib worries me - will this keep its shape?), the fair-isle Chroma Cap is very wearable and the prize is clearly taken by Kristen Tendyke for her fabulous Shore Hat - the best design by far in the book. It's not the best hat book I've seen, but there are twenty five designs so I'm sure you'll find something you like. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 1 May 2013
A beautiful book, with a selection of very interesting hats to make. The yarn is not always easy to get hold of, and can be quite pricey. However, to make a hat in a very good yarn and give it to someone you care about is worth the extra money.