4.0 out of 5 stars How to resize larger!
Published on 31 Mar 2012 by Eleya

3.0 out of 5 stars Japanese ladies are SMALL!
Published on 24 Jan 2012 by Karen McDonnell

3.0 out of 5 stars Japanese ladies are SMALL!, 24 Jan 2012
This review is from: Simple Modern Sewing: 8 Basic Patterns to Create 25 Favorite Garments (Paperback)
The patterns in this book are simply fabulous - they are simple, classic and would suit anyone - tall, short, fat or thin - except the are sized for petite oriental ladies, and whilst I am not enormous - I am obviously elephantine in comparison to them. Oh and if you do have a bosom, then you will be seriously out of luck with this book. I am desperate to make anything in here - if only someone could tell me how to size up the patterns. Perhaps I should write to the publishers!

2.0 out of 5 stars Upset, 25 Dec 2011
S. Hadley (Culcheth, Cheshire England) - See all my reviews
The book itself is very nice and the patterns look very good but they are very small! The large size is bigger than a UK 12 but smaller than a UK 14. This is no good for my ample chest! I was really looking forward to making clothes as I never have before but now I can't so I don't even know how to make the patterns fit me. The book was bought as a christmas present. There is no mention about the pattern sizes in the book review.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to resize larger!, 31 Mar 2012
Bought this book in great excitement, as the shapes look fairly straightforward and therefore a good starting point. It also appealed that they were petite as I am slim. I traced the pattern and added allowances when cutting the fabric, as per instructions in the book. I made a skirt with a box pleat. Somehow the back yoke piece was 1" shorter than the back skirt panel so I cut an inch off the panel. Despite this the finished skirt is 5inches too big!! I used the large pattern, and a 6mm instead of half inch seam as several reports suggested that the patterns were small and I wanted to give myself some space for my post-baby tummy. The resulting skirt is a UK size 18. I am a 10. Now I have to find it a new home as I can't bring myself to unpick everything and redo the wretched invisible zipper.

On the plus side, I seem to have stumbled across a way to enlarge the skirt if these sizes don't do it for you!
* When tracing the pattern onto fabric, add seam allowances as directed. I calculate this provided an extra 2 inches to the total circumference.
* You could make the box pleat slightly smaller (say 4" marking instead of 4" 5/8) with corresponding adjustment to the front yoke band, or add width straight up and down at the fold when laying out pattern pieces, again with corresponding adjustment to yoke.
* Use a slightly smaller seam allowance when sewing. You only have to cut off the extra fabric from a wide one anyway. But remember to be consistent in your seam allowance! I think this may have gained me an extra inch.

This is the only pattern I have tried so far.

The book itself is beautifully presented, however, and suggests a fabric for each pattern. It is almost like a catalogue or magazine in that it has pictures of lots of other items suggesting how you might style each piece. It is good for inspiration for ways you could tweak a pattern (perhaps one you already have that you know fits?) to make something similar but slightly different. I like some of the tops, for example, but have found a very similar Simplicity paper pattern for about 3 to use so that a) I don't have to trace pattern pieces and b) the sizing is (hopefully) a bit more reliable.

Plus points: Great for ideas; nicely presented; normal models (the author's friends I think?); a value pattern book given that you would pay a lot more for 8 basic paper patterns; small number of pattern pieces per item!
Minus points: You have to trace the patterns once you have decoded them; sizing is a bit hit and miss; instructions probably not great for the first time sewer.

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 23 Jan 2012
I have just made the a line skirt from this book and it went together with no problem at all. The only thing I did different was follow the instructions for fitting the zip from a Colette tutorial rather than from the book. I found the sizing good. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is that it would have been good to have the pattern in different colours. It is a multi size overlaid pattern and I found it a bit difficult to work out the pattern pieces and see where the lines were when tracing. But I am very happy with the skirt and am looking forward to making more.

4.0 out of 5 stars My favourite sewing book, 29 May 2012
H. Cowlishaw (UK) - See all my reviews
This is probably my favourite sewing book so far.

As described, there are 8 patterns with modifications to create the full 25 garments. The style is quite simplistic and clean with a lot of neutral cotton and linen fabrics being used, very much a Japanese aesthetic that I like. I think if you are more experienced and/or the style is not to your taste you will find this book quite boring - if you're looking for close-fitted garments turn away now! However if you want comfortable clothing then you are probably looking in the right place.
Personally I have modified some of the patterns when I want to give them some shape (adding ties to the A line dress, for example) so if you feel this way too I would advise you to look at the patterns as more like basic blocks for you to build your understanding of patterns and sewing upon. I find that the range of patterns and the simple modifications between each are really helpful in showing how clothes can be constructed from the simplest of shapes and built up to create more complex designs.

Some of the patterns can be hard to understand, I have the wrap style skirt in mind as it is quite hard to work out how it all comes together from the images. Some of the information has been lost in translation and I think the instructions are sometimes too brief but so far they are relatively easy to understand. I have also have had trouble sometimes distinguishing the patterns from eachother on the pattern sheets but with a little patience (and a highlighter!) I can work it out.

Some people have mentioned sizing as an issue, for the record I am a UK size 12 with quite generous curves and I tend to fit a small in these patterns, I haven't had any trouble so far as I think the loose fit is quite forgiving, however I am just one example out of many. With their simple shapes I don't think they would be too hard to modify.

In a nutshell, if you are looking to build confidence in sewing and want some low-risk, basic patterns to try out then give this book a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars smart casual full size patterns, 29 Nov 2011
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
No wonder this book is gathering likes on Amazon. 8 simple patterns are included to make a wardrobe of 25 wearable garments. The full size patterns come in four sizes - what a bonus this is. You'll need to trace the patterns if you wish to re-use them, or to use more than one pattern. The Japanese style is smart casual and can easily be worn by a wide age range from 20-80. I like the wraparound dress and tops, the button tunic, the simple dresses, pants, skirts, scrunchies and shirt coat with pocket. The instructions may look a little confusing at first - persevere, you have full size patterns to trace, layout of fabric, quantity of fabric and construction steps. I love it. Here's to my new wardrobe. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's yarnsandfabrics blog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 9 Dec 2012
Really interesting range of designs, combining really simple shapes and forms to make adaptable, interesting clothing items that you'll never find in a high street shop. Construction methods are kept simple and unfussy and the end result is architectural, clean lines that can be adapted to personal tastes.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 16 Feb 2014
I am a fairly novice sewer and have made a few simple things previously such as pajamas. I got this book as Christmas gift and so far have made one top from this book. I like the fact that there are variations on each pattern, tracing the patterns isn't a issue to me as I tend to trace patterns any way so that I can make in a different size if need be. With regards to the sizing, I originally made the top in the large size as I'd read the reviews on here, however it was enormous so I had to unpick all my sewing and start again! I made the small size in the end and I'm a size 12. The pattern was simple to follow and I'm pleased with result (in the end!)

4.0 out of 5 stars A really practical dressmaking book, 26 April 2012
Elizabeth S. Wells (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I am delighted with this book, with the proviso, that it should be realised that "small - medium - large" in this book, relate to petite Japanese sizing. However, the patterns are so carefully put together, that anyone will be able to size them up to fit. Within this book are so many really useful patterns, each with several style ways - I can see myself using them for years to come, ringing the changes. I am glad to have this book to hand, with the proviso, as mentioned above.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a relatively thin, relatively experienced sewer, 4 May 2013
I was very pleased to receive this book as a present and it is beautifully laid out. The large size as mentioned by others is roughly between a UK 12 and 14 so if you are bigger than that you would need to re-size the patterns. Each garment is made of just a few pieces but you have to trace them off a pattern paper that has so many different patterns on it that it is very easy to get lost. All are in black so trying to work out which is which isn't easy. Having said that I've just completed my first make from the book (the top on the cover) and I'm very pleased with how it has turned out. This really isn't a book for a beginner - you'd be better off with a simple pattern from one of the main pattern manufacturers - but if you are relatively confident then there are some nice ideas here.

Simple Modern Sewing: 8 Basic Patterns to Create 25 Favorite Garments
Simple Modern Sewing: 8 Basic Patterns to Create 25 Favorite Garments by Shufu To Seikatsu (Paperback - 25 Oct 2011)
14.39