4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and stylish designs, but may need modification.
Published on 28 Dec 2011 by E.Powell

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I would have waited for the "Look inside"
There is no pattern insert included in this book. Some of the styles are more contrived than clever. If I would have waited until I could see inside this book I would not have bought it.
Published on 26 Dec 2011 by Georgina Sands

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and stylish designs, but may need modification., 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: I Am Cute Dresses: 25 Simple Designs (Paperback)
I can appreciate the reactions of all the reviewers here - this is a book to cause strong reactions. It is a pity there is no 'Look Inside' feature. If you are considering purchase, be aware these are indeed simple styles, making them easy to draft and to make up, and to modify to suit yourself. But they are all fairly loose, often with front and back bodice the same, no dart shaping, no curved armholes, rather like Muji clothing meets Very Easy Vogue. They suit being made up in natural fibres, but will often suit a bold print or stripe as well as a plain fabric. There are not 25 different designs here, more like two-thirds that number, plus close variations.
I hope that helps you decide if the book might work for you!
I was intrigued, and have already made a couple of toiles (trial garments in muslin to check the shape and fit). The drafting was straightforward, though presented in a way new to me - as combined diagrams to construct the pattern and fabric cutting layouts. You need to concentrate, and look out for odd inaccuracies which I suspect are the result of converting cm/inches. The patterns I tried made up accurately, and the sizing was what I expected. I definitely think they have potential for simple summer tops, tunics and dresses, but I do plan to modify them to achieve a look and fit that suits my style.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and wearable, 6 Sep 2011
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I Am Cute Dresses: 25 Simple Designs (Paperback)
I love most of the designs in this book. I like Japanese styling. However, I found the patterns not the easiest to follow, a little more instruction would have been better for me. I would say that this is not a beginner's book. You would need some pattern construction knowledge. I would have appreciated larger layouts, although you could enlarge these on a photocopier. The instructions are well drawn and the photography is excellent. The patterns are one size fits all, 35-36 inch bust and up to 39 inch hips. They should not be too difficult to make for a larger size, although this styling is perfect for slim girls - think Japanese. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I would have waited for the "Look inside", 26 Dec 2011
Georgina Sands (Stockholm, Sweden) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and creative, 19 Nov 2011
This review is from: I Am Cute Dresses: 25 Simple Designs (Paperback)
I was a bit shocked at first by the small patterns out-lines in this book, but once I got the hang of them, found translating them straight on to fabric a liberation. I have had to adapt the patterns to my size 16 frame. I did this by adding a width and a few more ruffles and pleats. In keeping with the spirit of the patterns, I found it easy to drop necklines or raise hemlines and found myself enjoying making adaptations these to suit my shape. The style of the dresses will suit people with 'arty' taste- I enjoy Noa Noa, Gudren Sodjen, White Stuff Tunics, etc to give you some idea of the style. There is a classic cross-over dress and a couple of very smart, almost Jackie K 1960's tunics. I do love this book; for me it makes sewing a fun creative experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: I Am Cute Dresses: 25 Simple Designs (Paperback)
Really interesting range of designs, combining really simple shapes and forms to make adaptable, interesting clothing items that you'll never find in a high street shop. Construction methods are kept simple and unfussy and the end result is architectural, clean lines that can be adapted to personal tastes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, if you are looking for pretty, unsophisticated patterns, 25 July 2012
Elizabeth S. Wells (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I Am Cute Dresses: 25 Simple Designs (Paperback)
Good patterns, easily adjustable for our larger western sizes. I have several designs from this book that I will use. I have already used a pattern from a similar book, which bore sizing up very well, and I produced a comfortable pair of trousers that I wear and wear.Simple Modern Sewing: 8 Basic Patterns to Create 25 Favorite Garments

5.0 out of 5 stars craft books, 26 Nov 2011
This review is from: I Am Cute Dresses: 25 Simple Designs (Paperback)
Have just taken up crafting on a larger scale and this caught my eye, a colleague at work has just borrowed it and I hope she will be buying one herself soon. Full of do-able ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am cute Dresses, 22 Nov 2011
I Am Cute Dresses: 25 Simple Designs to Sew

This book is everything I imagined - it is true the sizing is small but any dressmaker worth their salt can size up and adapt. Fantastic designs - haven't had time to make anything yet but this is already one of my favourite books ever!

1.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not what I would want, 18 Oct 2011
P. D. Home - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Cute Dresses: 25 Simple Designs (Paperback)
I sent for this on the off chance that there was something better inside than I could see on the cover - all the patterns are fairly shapeless bags (the vast majority without sleeves) and as I'm not a shapeless bag I don't think I'll be making any of them! There isn't enough information as to how to alter the sizing and even if you did it would still be a smaller or larger shapeless bag - not dresses for real women. Anyone looking for this type of book needs to buy Sew Serendipity: Fresh and Pretty Sewing Designs to Make and Wear the author of Sew Serendipity could teach this one a thing or two - disappointing

ARRAY(0xab69fc3c)

I Am Cute Dresses: 25 Simple Designs
I Am Cute Dresses: 25 Simple Designs by Sato Watanbe (Paperback - 10 Aug 2011)
11.55