Knitscene is the younger, hipper, prettier, and more fashion forward sister of Interweave Knitting. Being sisters from the same family, they have similar features: good pattern writing, an eye to making the best use of yarn and pattern, and nifty new techniques, but Knitscene just feels a lot younger, simple and stylish, in comparison to the stodgier, older IK...
Published on 13 Dec 2011 by jazzy pom

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware if buying for the Heather Hoodie Vest pattern
Feeling thoroughly frustrated and annoyed with this book. I bought it for the Heather Hoodie Vest pattern but having spent about 5 hours today trying to execute the first 22 rows of the cable, I'm going to rip it out and look for something else to knit with my bulky yarn.
Published on 17 Mar 2012 by black kat

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware if buying for the Heather Hoodie Vest pattern, 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Best Of Knitscene (Paperback)
There are errata on the publisher's website, but these refer to only one error - it's in the set-up row. The good folks on Ravelry helped me identify more errors in the chart key: one of the 'hold in FRONT' directions should actually read 'hold in BACK', and k3 or p3 should read k2 or p2 respectively throughout the chart.
I learned also from Ravelry that the original magazine pattern or the pdf you can buy from the site contains the first, set-up row error, but not the chart errors, so possibly that could work out a better deal.
I'm an experienced knitter but even having identified all these errors and written in my corrections, I couldn't get the cables to look like the ones in the pictures.
Maybe other patterns in the book will work out okay and I'll end up getting some sort of value out of it, but there's no excuse for the sloppiness of this particular pattern. Save your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Knitscene - a hipper, younger, prettier version of Interweave Knits, 13 Dec 2011
jazzy pom "jazzypom" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Best Of Knitscene (Paperback)

The book is a solid mix of garments and accessories (although I do prefer garments to accessories). They have the most popular patterns ever in here! Central Park Hoodie! Full disclosure: I loved that pattern so much, I ordered the back issue from Interweave Knits and paid a pretty penny in shipping fees (cost more than the magazine itself, damn it, IK) and now it's here! Included in this handsome book. In addition, there's the Riding to Avalon (the pullover on the cover), and the awesomeness with Heather Hoodie Vest! I do raise my eyebrows at the inclusion of Molly Ringwald though- really? I call shenanigans.

Like all patterns from the Interweave Knits stable, they are pretty straight forward, in that you don't find yourself going, "What does that turn of phrase mean?" All the yarns are American (I know, I know)but they can be easily subbed (e.g., for the Heather Hoodie Vest, I used Rowan cocoon as a direct sub to Brown Sheep Lamb Bulky) and the patterns are mostly dk and aran weight.

My only reason for not giving it five stars is the inclusion of Molly Ringwald- I think the yarn and the pattern aren't a good match at all.

So to sum up; a solid mix of garments and accessories, simple, but very stylish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Click., 13 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Best Of Knitscene (Paperback)
Classic patterns for a range of garments, Lovely photos and detailed explanations. Characteristically, the patterns have a unique twist on classic designs but are all so wearable....just look at the 'hoodie' on the cover to see what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 4 Oct 2012
Elaine Hand "Lel" (Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Knitscene (Paperback)
Lots of things I would knit in this, it's my favourite book to flick through. With enough time and yarn I would happily knit everything in this book.

The Best Of Knitscene
The Best Of Knitscene by Lisa Shroyer (Paperback - 26 Sep 2011)