Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 January 2012
If only ... this book had an index! I spend ages trawling back and forth through the chapters looking for a particular technique. Once I get there, it's explained really well, with clear diagrams.
If only ... the DVD had been made by a knitter! What a great opportunity lost. All too often the "over the shoulder" shot (excellent)was replaced by a "face on" view. That's no use if you want to see what's happening from the knitter's point of view. I was so distracted by the lighting reflected in Ann's spectacles that I missed some of the relevant information! I know, that's a piddling criticism, but valid to me.
All that aside, the book is well written, has excellent diagrams and instructions and I immediately got out the needles to make the intriguing Half Stranded Socks.
on 2 November 2013
Lovely book but completely spoilt for me as of the 17 designs only 5 have any size variable options for foot circumference. As I sadly have fat hobbit feet and the book offers no suggestions for working out how to increase a pattern that means I am stuck. Very disappointed as there are some lovely socks in this book but I expect when I pay for a pattern to be getting the clever brain work from the designer that enables various sizes to be made from the same pattern. Still at least I now know what to check.for before I buy again.
on 22 February 2013
But I am so sad I can't watch the DVD as it is an American book the DVD wont play in my DVD or my computer. Obviously you need a all region DVD player to play it :(

The book though is delicious & I look forward to knitting the socks once I have mastered her beginners book "Getting Started Knitting Socks"

UPDATE
Found I can watch on my new computer :) :) :)
on 5 January 2012
Having already purchased Ann Budd's book for sock knitting for beginners, I eagerly awaited the arrival of this book. It did not disappoint and I highly recommend it for anybody who is ready to move on from basic socks to something more adventurous. It includes the basics, of course, as a reminder, but also includes information on top down and toe-up knitting, various advanced techniques, different heels, and a nice selection of projects to try out new-found skills. It's a lovely book even if you just want to pick it up and browse, but Ann Budd is so inspiring. I haven't looked at the accompanying DVD but I'm sure it'll be as clear as any YouTube video you can come across.
on 5 August 2013
This book is excellent. It covers all forms of socks toe up and top down. It covers several ways to cast on and off and shows all of the different toe and heel configurations. Using this book you should have no problems following patterns or creating your own. I even found new information in this book so I think experienced knitters would enjoy it as well. There are loads of patterns and good advice on getting the best look from your knitting.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 8 August 2011
This is one of those books that make your mouth water. It ticks all the boxes, the book looks good, has excellent production, layout, photos and clear instructions with charts as well as the bonus of a DVD. Most of all it has great designs that will make your toes tingle with delight. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 4 November 2013
Bought for my niece (16) who has discovered she can knit the most wonderful socks - thought this would be good for her
on 31 January 2014
I'm new to sock making and have found this book a delight to use. The dvd enclosed is also helpful. There's a variety of patterns and techniques plus lots of tips. Even if you end up not making any the patterns in the book, which would be surprising, there is enough knitting technique information to make it a worthwhile purchase.
on 27 May 2012
Great book for beginners and experienced sock knitters. Loads of great ideas and advice. Fantastic new patterns and ideas from top designers.
on 20 February 2013
A really lovely book. I plan to knit all of them! Its a compilation from various designers so there are differences in the construction, so not only are you getting a lovely new pair of socks, you are learning new techniques too! If you get this book you will be a master sock knitter!! There is a DVD supplied with the book so you can visually learn too, well worth the money. It is really hard to choose books as there are so many out there but I am so pleased I bought this particular book, ticks all the boxes for me!!