5.0 out of 5 stars Sock Heaven!
Published on 29 Sept. 2010 by Mrs. P. J. Beeching

3.0 out of 5 stars good book
Good book in general but focusses a little too much on colour work. I have not yet knitted any of the patterns, but I am sure I will do shortly.
Published 18 months ago by Isabella Haynes

5.0 out of 5 stars Sock Heaven!, 29 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Around The World In Knitted Socks (Paperback)
I've become a Groupie where Ms. van der Linden's patterns are concerned because I love the different and beautiful ways she arrives at what is basically a sock shape. When I spotted this book printed in English, I pounced on it with glee and it doesn't disappoint. Every pattern in it is something I want to knit and that's a rare thing for any Knitter to say. I'm at the toe end of the first pattern in the book, 'Alpine Glow', with its diamond 'clocks' and neat diagonal panels of travelling stitches tripping round the ankle and across the foot, and have chosen several more patterns lined up ready to attack. All I'll say is that if you want a sock book with patterns in solid or stranded colourwork to tempt, tantalise and give you the A+ satisfaction value, this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sock it to me, 21 Oct. 2010
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Around The World In Knitted Socks (Paperback)
At last a sock knitting book I love. These are socks to wear, not hide under your trouser legs. Fabulous designs where often the underside of the sock is as important as the upper. This book is a delight from heel to toe. There's only a couple of patterns I wasn't fond of, the rest I adore. Here's to knitting a pair of socks a fortnight, this book will keep me going all year! I love the theme, the socks, the instructions and techniques. This book first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.

5.0 out of 5 stars sock bible, 9 Jan. 2012
Willem Verstraeten (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Around The World In Knitted Socks (Paperback)
Just bought this book and love it. The patterns are dazzling and you get to learn a lot of different techniques (ajour, double stranded, cables,...) on a small scale. Good explanations of the techniques, with photographs. And many different ways of shaping the socks: different types of heel and toes, and toe up and cuff down socks. I already bought yarn to get started on the 'scent of lavender' lace socks. Now I just have to find out if the patterns are well written (read them through,and they seem comprehensive enough, but you never really know until you've knit from them, do you?)

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book and you will never want to buy shop socks again!, 30 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Around The World In Knitted Socks (Paperback)
Let me start by saying that so far I have knitted 2 pairs of socks and am part way through a third pair. I'm an experienced knitter although these are my first socks.

On the upside - stunning designs which do reflect the country that they are associated with. You'll really want to get going! I highly recommend this book.

The reason for only giving 4 stars is that on the downside - I haven't found the patterns the clearest to follow and I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner. The glossary is limited and I have found missing abbreviations which isn't very helpful. Where techniques are explained, the explanations are usually very good with clear photos to follow. I would also suggest to use the recommended yarn (Regia) as it is good quality, washes well and feels great. If you are going to invest all that time and effort in knitting socks, you deserve decent yarn :). You can get Regia for around £4 for 50g and are likely to need 2-4 balls per sock (depends on pattern/colours).

As other reviewers have mentioned, the sizing is limited and as the socks are quite patterned, they cannot easily be adapted to significantly smaller/larger sizes. All patterns are aimed at women and there are no men's or children's patterns.

Do watch the patterns carefully when knitting socks as the yarn is fine, the needles are small and unpicking is a nightmare!

I found that using 2 x 40cm circular needles is much easier than 4 double pointed ones although you do have to watch the pattern a bit more as it assumes 4 double pointed ones. It also means that there is less chance of the little "gap" that you sometimes get from double pointed needles where its hard to keep even tension where the needles change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 24 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Around The World In Knitted Socks (Paperback)
The most inspiring knitting book I've seen. Love the pictures and the selections that's been made, how the socks look so typical for each country. You can guess where they are from simply by looking at the pattern (is it detailed, dark colored, multicolored? etc.) and that it has a short explanation for the link between the pattern and the culture. The descriptions are detailed and easy to follow even for someone who has never knitted socks before!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sock book ever, so far...., 11 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Around The World In Knitted Socks (Paperback)
Ordered this book from an Amazon Market Place seller, so a real bargain. I just love it and want to knit 24 out of the 26 designs in the book. Can't wait to get started. The patterns seem clear although some are quite demanding. The photography is beautiful and clearly shows all the aspects of the garment. A must have for any intermediate or experienced sock knitter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great inspiring designs, 29 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Around The World In Knitted Socks (Paperback)
Fabulous book with wonderful inspiring patterns.. have made up two of them and found it was quite easy to follow the patterns and the finished socks were brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars :-), 2 April 2013
This review is from: Around The World In Knitted Socks (Paperback)
Ja så er der udfordringer på programmet ..... men heldigvis er der mange diagrammer, det gør det en smule lettere at kæmpe sig gennem en udenlandsk opskrift :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars good book, 6 Jan. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Around the world in knitted socks, 7 May 2012
This review is from: Around The World In Knitted Socks (Paperback)
A great book full of fabulous patterns making it difficult to choose! I knotted a pair right away and they were a perfect fit.

Around The World In Knitted Socks
Around The World In Knitted Socks by Stephanie Van Der Linden (Paperback - 17 Aug. 2010)
Used & New from: £13.04