Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 October 2010
This book has some lovely patterns in it and I have already purchased yarn for 2 of them.

One of them is currently being done as a CAL via Lion Brand Yarns, also on Ravelry - so I am going to go along with that - sharing ideas, questions and answers, and just being nosey is great fun while crocheting such a project. Plus you get to pick Miss Omdahls brains.

The designs in the book vary from being easy and practical to harder and just for special occasions. There are hats and cardigans and shawls, and tops....... lovely book. I like the fact that the yarn can be changed easily by making note of the qualities required - so you don't need to get the exact yarn used in the book, but can purchase an alternative.
on 5 September 2012
I have brought this book in an effort to get away from "old fashioned" clothes which I see in most crotchet books. The items are interesting and make you want to get going with your hook. What I found very disappointing was the number of errors in the written patterns. I eventually went to the publishers web site and found a list of (too) many corrections. So yes this book is lovely but the publisher should be ashamed at the number of errors. Wait for the reprint.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 1 October 2010
I could say Wow and leave it at that, or I could say double wow. This book is So Fine in so many ways - fine yarns, fine design. It really is what is claims - modern and fashionable crochet. Kristen is magic with a crochet hook. I want to make and wear nearly all of these patterns. I've never seen crochet look so good. It's one of the best books I have seen this year. I'm not sure my crochet skills are hot enough to handle this - I have never actually made a garment - so I am going to kick off with one of the many scarves and then a hat and build up my confidence to tackle one of the designs like the one on the front cover. It's official I like every patten in this book and would recommend it to everyone. You might have to substitute yarns for the UK. Instructions look clear and the photography is very good. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 23 July 2010
I can't wait to start a lot of the items in this book. There are so many that I like that it will be hard to choose. I just hope that my crocheting skills are a match for these lovely designs. I have ordered laceweight for the cover jacket and a shawl. Although a lot of the designs are in laceweight they use a larger hook such as a 4mm so even though the wool is fine the hooks are not.
I am very excited about this book as it's unusual for me to buy a book and like almost everything in it. The book contains detailed instructions for the projects and charts for those who prefer to use them. The designs are so gorgeous I love just browsing the book.
on 30 November 2010
I was antisipating a relly good chochet book before it arrived and i was not disapointed. the designs are lovely and the paterns are easy to follow. I am still learning the art of crochet so some paterns are a bit dificult to work out but this book is easy to follow with super paterns
on 9 September 2013
I was pretty excited about this book when it arrived, but you need to be aware that the written pattern instructions do contain errors. I was able to work round these using the stitch diagrams instead of the written instructions to guide me when constructing garment panels. BUT because there aren't stitch diagrams to illustrate the joining instructions I've then had to make up what looked OK to me to get the garment together as the written instructions didn't quite work

I've found her other book Endless Crochet to be accurate so I was surprised to find so many mistakes. I've nearly fiished working one garment so far (the cover illustration cardigan) and have found at least 4 mistakes in that pattern (I stopped reading the pattern when I realised the diagram was better so possibly there could be more.)

Still, I like the concept of fine yarns to get better garment feel and drape and it has introduced me to new yarns I hadn't found previously. So I will be making more things from the book - I think I should be able to work out what to do - I like a challenge!
on 18 February 2011
When I purchase a pattern book I fully expect to only want to create a small number of patterns from it, however with this book I am spoilt for choice. There are so many beautiful designs, I think this one will keep me busy for quite a while and I am sure I will be going back to it for years.

I have started on one of the designs, the instructions are very clear & the stitch diagrams are really very very helpful - other crochet authors should take note.

If you want some really beautiful, wearable designs and great ideas for gifts you need to buy this book.
on 14 September 2011
My view of this book differs from those that have been written so far. Inside you will find a lot of shawls, scarves, hats and stoles and one bag. i find that there is already an over-abundance of patterns for these items available, so I am less interested in seeing more.

There is a relatively small number of garments, and as you would expect from the title, the yarns required are mostly on the fine side. The construction techniques are mostly based on lace stitches, so one's work would grow relatively quickly. There is also a hairpin lace tunic.
on 30 April 2012
I bought this book as I was looking to crochet something fine and stunning. Looking through there are some lovely patterns and I found it hard to choose which one I wanted to do, but after looking at the actual pattern I realised that it was not so easy. It uses American terms and has diagrams which are not clear.
I've had this book for about a month and haven't made anything yet, I feel I need to sit down and write out the pattern in English first. If you are an experienced crocheter, which I am, then maybe use this book for ideas.
on 13 September 2015
I bought this book purely to make the cardi on the cover. I had read all the previous reviews and they are very true - the written instructions are very difficult to follow and at times incorrect so follow the diagrammes. The one real problem I had was how to join the fronts to the back and I did have to resort to searching crochet forums on the internet until I found someone who had written it all out in plain English. I have now got as far as the edging and I have to say am really pleased with how the garment is turning out but beware this is not a pattern for the feint hearted or for a beginner and sometimes you have to be prepared just to follow the instructions but be prepared to unpick if necessary. Shall be trying some others in the book at some stage and hoping they are slightly easier!