5.0 out of 5 stars Art Cloth
Published on 20 Aug 2010 by Lizzy

3.0 out of 5 stars Art Cloth - book for anyone interested in textile art
Can't say this wowed me too much. This was my fault I think as the techniques were all familiar. I am always on the lookout for books with new techniques in them. I thought the book was well written and illustrated and would be ideal for a beginner in textile art.
Published 20 months ago by Min Lang

5.0 out of 5 stars Art Cloth, 20 Aug 2010
This review is from: Art Cloth (Paperback)
An excellent reference book for the beginner or the more experienced to dyeing and printing. Every page is well laid out, informative, and easy to follow, plus there are plenty of colour images on each page. I purchased this book after seeing Jane Dunnewold on a 'Quilting Arts' programme on the web, otherwise, as you cannot read inside this book first before buying, I probably would not have bought it. So glad I did. The book covers everything you need to know, from your workspace, tools and materials; adding colour; discharge; making stamps and stencils; screening printing; foiling and lots more.

4.0 out of 5 stars good value for money, 7 Sep 2010
This review is from: Art Cloth (Paperback)
This is a book about processes rather than projects and as such is an excellent book for learning the "how to" of surface design. It covers dyes, printing, stamping and foiling. It has a comprehensive coverage of dying and discharging colour and for someone like me, who thought they had a good knowledge, is able to impart new things. It is well laid out with step by step points and plenty of illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 10 Aug 2010
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Art Cloth (Paperback)
At the high end of the market for a paperback but worth every penny. I also have Complex Cloth by this author and suggested an update for it in my review. This is that update and a very desirable book it is. This has to be the finest guide to printing on cloth. Beautifully produced and illustrated and easy to follow. From making samples to complete art cloths, this book will guide you through the processes involved from preparing cloth, dyeing, over-dyeing, writing on cloth and embellishing and so much more. A firm favourite. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.

5.0 out of 5 stars ultimate guide to applying pattern and colour to fabric, 21 Feb 2011
A. L. Mcleod "Anna McLeod" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Art Cloth (Paperback)
As a previous reviewer has said this is a book about processes rather than lots of pretty pictures and projects. It has just about every process there is to enable the reader to apply colour and pattern to fabric: dyeing, printing, stamping, painting etc etc. all laid out in clear and easy to follow instructions with the ins and outs of all the different colouring materials on the market, including the pros and cons of each. If you only buy one book on this subject make it this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars For beginners, 6 Nov 2011
This review is from: Art Cloth (Paperback)
I have been a fan of Jane Dunnewolds since I got my copy of Complex Cloth years ago. I had the impression that this would be a follow up to that book, but it isn't.
This book is for the beginner, someone who hasn't done any or very much dyeing and patterning of cloth. It's a very good book for students as it goes through everything in lots of detail, but if you already have books on dyeing, stamping and other decorative fabric methods, then you will be disappointed.
I gave the book four stars because, of it's type it is very good - just not for the intermediate or advanced fabric artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 1 Sep 2010
Mrs. Lorna J. Rand (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Art Cloth (Paperback)
Like Jane's other book - Clear and easy to follow instructions with many great ideas on ways to experiment in your own work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 5 Dec 2010
This review is from: Art Cloth (Paperback)
I've been promising myself this book for ages. Why did I wait so long! The first time I opened it I found the answer to a current problem. Excellent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Art Cloth - book for anyone interested in textile art, 6 Dec 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Words abd Pictures, 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: Art Cloth (Paperback)
Like a good review this book is detailed for specific methods of surface design.You can work through the book or jump into one chapter/method you would like to try, all chapters have good photographs and lists of requiements and who would'nt look good wearing whats in the photogaraph on page 10!Over all a very good usable book.
Janette

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good first impression from publisher, 17 July 2012
This review is from: Art Cloth (Paperback)
I might have been interested in this book, if I could have seen a greater variety of pages; apart from the cover illustration all the others were about materials to use.

The book might be excellent, this Amazon preview is unhelpful!

Art Cloth
Art Cloth by Jane Dunnewold (Paperback - 1 Jun 2010)
19.99