5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Book!, 24 Jan 2011
MusingCrow "ZQuilts" (Friday Harbor, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stamped Metal Jewelry: with DVD Techniques & Designs for Making Custom Jewelry (Paperback)
My most recent interest has been metal. I love embossing metal foil and, I suppose, stamping metal was a logical progression. I want to learn some wire wrapping techniques (thanks to a necklace that I fell in love with on a jaunt to Roslyn, Washington last Fall). I am fighting to restrain myself from becoming enamored with jewelry making, but I wanted a book that would teach me a bit about the ins and outs of stamping metal to use in my mixed media work. I happened upon the most excellent website called Beaducation. Lisa Niven Kelly is the owner of the site and I found that she had recently published this little treasure of a book called "Stamped Metal Jewelry". You know I had to have it!

This book is exactly what I needed. It comes completed with a nifty instructional DVD. The book covers all of the basics about tools, gauges of metal and metal wire, dapping, riveting, applying patinas, hole punching and drilling, oxidizing, annealing and polishing metals. That's just the beginning! The projects in the book follow a logical progression - an easy introduction to the basics and then moving on to more involved concepts. The book is very well illustrated with clear, concise photographs and written instruction that follows along with the photos. I dislike books that have photo instruction separated from the written instructions - making you flip back and forth to correlate the written instructions with the photographs. This book is really well done in that area. The projects are not only instructive but they are also things that you will enjoy making and wearing. The author does suggest that your first attempts at stamping be done on less expensive metals like copper before moving on to precious metal work. That is good advice because there is, most definitely, a bit of "stamping" curve to learn - since things like pressure, tilt (no!) and hammer weight can all affect the quality of your finished impression.

This is one of those ah-ha! kind of books that would be a really good addition to the library of any artistically minded person - because who knows where this path could lead you! I love this book - and Lisa's website is one of the best I have ever been on. No matter what your artistic medium is you should do yourself a favor and check it out !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for both theory and ideas, 17 Jun 2011
Kristin "I read so I don't kill people!" (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
A nicely laid out book, with a great round up of tools and techniques. This book really encourages you to be adventurous and branch out into metal stamping. I havent needed any other book on this at all. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 26 Mar 2014
This book is just a real inspiration..it is brief and to the point. just add imagination. Very easy to follow, and easy jewellery to make, but looks really classy. Its what is selling now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Book, 19 Aug 2013
This is an easy to read book with easy to follow instructions for anyone interested in stamping their jewellery. A few really interesting projects but others that are a bit too 'modern' for my own taste. Would recommend this book to beginners in metal stamping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good instruction and projects to attempt a new craft, 1 Jun 2013
Always admired the personalised nature of stamped jewellery. This book and DVD made the process simple and has got me working on personal items for friends and family. Easy to follow instruction and a good how to book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 9 April 2013
Found this to be a great introduction to metal stamping. Nice clear pictures and instructions and lots of ideas. The web-links seem to be more for the american market, but overall would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of ideas for personalised jewellery, 25 Feb 2013
This is one of my favourite jewellery making books. Full of great ideas, I would definitely recommend this book for making personalised jewellery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information, 18 July 2012
The book is full of great information and useful pictures. Lots of detail about what you need for specific tasks. I learned a lot. There's more to this craft than you'd imagine, so buy this book to get you started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 2 Jun 2011
I ordered this book yesterday and it arrived today! Great seller.

The book comes with a DVD which is great because it gives you a visual idea of how to stamp. The projects are great, you can't see much in the inside view feature, but there are pictures of all the tools you can get, basic instructions for making jewellery, and then different projects.

Usually I find craft books can be a a let down when getting to these projects, there is a stamped ladder bracelet, which is beautiful, a silver framed gem pendant, which again is lovely and easily adaptable to your own needs. Charm bracelets, rings and earrings too. I am impressed.

(The only thing is that in the UK these projects will be difficult to carry out as most of these tools and supplies come from the USA, we don't seem to have the same sources in the UK for making this style of jewellery. But you can find them if you really look hard. But that's nothing to do with the book!)

I will use this book as a reference when making jewellery all the time - the tools listing gives you tips on using them, there are parts about riveting, annealing, safety advice and so on... It really is a very useful book. As soon as I get my hands on a bunch of tools and silver I'll be crafting like crazy!

A great price too - most places sell this for double the price, it was a great deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent metal working book, 16 May 2011
I bought this book, as an experienced beader wanting to branch out into metalwork & stamping. It is a lovely book, with gorgeous illustrations & inspirational projects. It covers the tools, materials & techniques you need & then gives lots of great projects. Everything is done step by step, with an illustration for each step. I thought it well written & the projects easy to follow. There is a DVD included, so you can see the steps demonstrated too. It is a book I have dipped into time & time again. I think it is one of the best craft books out there.

ARRAY(0x1087b2ac)