4.0 out of 5 stars best pattern I have seen, 20 Jun. 2010
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Power Cables: The Ultimate Guide to Knitting Inventive Cables (Paperback)
I remember Lily Chin as a rising star in the last wave of designer knitting in the late 80's, early 90's. Add to that my love of cables - all-consuming, so I was eager to have this book. As a knitwear designer myself, texture is all important. This book has excellent instructions, many cable stitches - some of which would have been better left out perhaps. There are 15 original patterns, but not that original and is someone colour blind or is it me? I love the hoodie, the stoles (there are two amongst the 15 patterns) but the pink and green colourway, the blue and yellow bag-ouch. However, before you start thinking this sounds awful - go and buy it because it has the best knitting pattern I have ever seen - a five-way cabled shrug that I cannot wait to knit, in fact I am going to be knitting this design in one yarn or another for the rest of my life. You might think from its title that it has five cables, no - it can be worn in five ways - how cool is that? This book also gives you lots of cable stitches to play with all on your own. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.

4.0 out of 5 stars Power Cables: The Ultimate Guide to Knitting Inventive Cables, 7 Feb. 2012
Great book for the beginner and more experienced knitters too. The book could be improved with the addition of a cable stitch library but there's lots of good ideas and a few good patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power Cables, 8 July 2011
Excellent book, the Five-Way cabled shrug is the best knitting clothing pattern I have ever seen, its beautiful and can be worn in five different ways. This book shows many ways of doing cable even without a cable needle, patterns that look like cables but are not. I am knitting the cabled scarf for a friend, which is in chunky, but because I don't really like chunky I'm using aran instead and have adjusted the pattern by repeating part of the whole pattern given. This scarf is so neat. I think this book might be good for a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power cables, 25 Mar. 2011
V. A. Ballard "val ballard" (England) - See all my reviews
Beautifully presented book. Lots of coloured photographs and a good section at the front explaining the principles of cabling. The author has developed her own way of cabling that enables a reversible 'fabric' to be produced.It may be some years before I get my head round the complicated stuff but I shall enjoy trying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cables de-mystified, 19 Mar. 2011
This book gives a great insight into cabling, showing the different effects that can be achieved such as double sided cabling. Includes patterns to illustrate all the techniques. A really useful book for thos who want to explore cabling more.

5.0 out of 5 stars power cables, 18 Dec. 2010
not for a total beginner I don't think- but a very useful and simple book which actually made me think about making my own cable designs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Book, 22 Feb. 2013
Thanks for a brilliant book well worth the cash paid as I like to make my own patterns and this helps to spice them up

5.0 out of 5 stars s, 20 Sept. 2014
Sc c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c word word word word word word wo one two thre

4.0 out of 5 stars Good instructions, 17 April 2013
I can only pass on my wife's comments as this was a gift for her.
A very good book with clear and concise instructions.

Power Cables: The Ultimate Guide to Knitting Inventive Cables