5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Patchwork: 25 Irresistable Zakka Projects to Sew
Published on 13 July 2010 by Melissa

2.0 out of 5 stars Very little patchwork
I Love Patchwork: 25 Irresistible Zakka Projects to Sew
Published on 17 Jan 2010 by Mrs. Denny S. Abeykoon

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Patchwork: 25 Irresistable Zakka Projects to Sew, 13 July 2010
This review is from: I Love Patchwork: 21 Irresistible Zakka Projects to Sew (Paperback)
I really like this book. The projects are a bit different to those seen in most other modern sewing books and there's some nice original ideas in there along with the standard kitchen towels and things. The selection of fabrics is a little different but I like the use of linen - very modern & contemporary. The projects are relatively easy but this is a bonus if you are short on time, less likelihood of another UFO (unfinished object). Lots of the items are also suitable to give as presents. Admittedly not all projects involve patchwork but I don't see this as a negative.

There's a high proportion of projects I want to make in this book compared to many I've bought recently. I have already made the blossom pincushions (for myself and as a present) and plan to do the little lamb softie, pencil case, sewing machine cover and button calendar soon. The appliquéd pillow is also a nice idea. I'd definitely recommend this book if you are interested in making some useful items for around the home either for yourself or as gifts. If you are interested in traditional patchwork then other books may be more appropriate.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very little patchwork, 17 Jan 2010
Mrs. Denny S. Abeykoon "Genuine reviews from ... (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I Love Patchwork: 25 Irresistible Zakka Projects to Sew
This book should be called I Love Sewing. This is because a lot of the projects are sewn items that contain either small amounts appliqued patches, or no patchwork at all. The only ones I would call patchwork are the lapquilt, the sheep toys skirt & the baby's ball. Also, all of the projects are part made in a hideous natural coloured brown linen, which is ok if you like that kind of thing, but I prefer colour. If I make anything in hte book, I'd use colourful fabrics, & I'd recomend it to sewers not patchworkers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as promising as it looks, 14 Jan 2010
I checked out the author's blog before I bought the book and liked the things she had shown there. However, I was a little disappointed by the book because I had expected something else.

To start with, the cover of the book only refers to 21 projects. Still, I don't think that's the author's fault but amazon's. From the 21 projects of the book I plan to make about five. The others are either just too simple for my taste (e.g. making kitchen towels out of linen fabric and applicating some fabric squares or making placemats out of linen fabric with a patchwork border) or not my style (sewing a patchwork ball, making a stuffed animal). But I really like the sewing machine cover and the cosmetics pouch.

The projects are all made out of linen in the style that is shown on the cover. The author uses a lot of natural linen. Therefore, the entire book has a little "eco" look. The section about material and sewing techniques is really well written and easy too understand. Even for me as a non-English native (I'm German) this section and the instructions to each project are easy to follow and have no flaws.

I think that this book is for the beginner or intermediate sewer. If you are into linen and you need some ideas using the patchwork to get started sewing, I would recommend you this book. If you are an advanced sewer and need inspiration I think it will suffice to look at the blog.

5.0 out of 5 stars great patchwork, 3 Jan 2010
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I love this book - full of great contemporary patchwork to enhance your home. Yes it does make you want to start the projects straight away. Great sense of use of different fabrics and wonderful style. Easy to follow instructions. I love the covered boxes.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Love Patchwork, 27 Sep 2010
Lots of projects but unfortunately not quite what I was looking for. Not my ideal for patchwork, sorry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't go past the second date, 31 Oct 2013
I had high hopes for I Love Patchwork. The front page looks bright and cheerful, but apart from the coaster set there are only a couple of projects not incorporating "the beige". I'm aware of Rashida's love for linen, but apparently there can be a bit too much of it.

The projects are "cute", but out of 21 projects I would make only five. This is a matter of personal style, which I won't remove stars for.

What makes it a three-star book for me is the lack of photos or drawings. Challenging techniques are mostly described in words and for me this is related to cookbooks without photos; it's not fun. I'm a visual learner and the structure of the book doesn't accomodate that at all. As I see it, if it's intended for intermediate sewers, techniques wouldn't be described, so something is missing out of my point of view. I appreciate the numbering of steps, though, because it makes it easier to keep track where I'm at in the pattern.

As another reviewer said, this doesn't feel like a patchwork book to me, but rather it should be marketed as a book on sewing. For instance the way to make half-square triangles is to cut a square in two, then piece two half squares together; ah the joy of bias edges.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, 29 Jan 2010
Great book love the ideas, quite good instructions for beginners and more experienced. Beautiful pictures the author obviously has a great passion for her subject.

ARRAY(0xac23f514)

I Love Patchwork: 21 Irresistible Zakka Projects to Sew
I Love Patchwork: 21 Irresistible Zakka Projects to Sew by Rashida Coleman-Hale (Paperback - 25 Nov 2009)
15.47