4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of frilly nonsense in a sensible format
Published on 18 Jun 2009 by Mrs. P. J. Beeching

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear another knitting pattern book I dislike
I attempted to knit one item from the book simply because I had paid for it so at least wanted to knit something. However, the pattern was full of mistakes (I am not a knitting novice!). I wondered whether it might have something to do with the translation from Danish into English. At any rate, sadly did not like any of the designs. Charity shop I am afraid.
Published 9 months ago by M. C. Verrall

4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of frilly nonsense in a sensible format, 18 Jun 2009
This review is from: Feminine Knits (Paperback)
Ball of mohair in hand, dpn's in the other, I headed off for the Lace Circle Sweater, made a detour round the Flower Jacket, decided I must knit the Diagonal Lace Jacket and eyed up the Short/Long Jacket on Page 27 before casting on for the Lace Circle - all in the full knowledge that the whole time the Lace Circle is getting itself knitted, I will be plotting my next move on the Flower Jacket. Fabulous patterns - apart from the knitted skirt. Anyone who is even a shade over a size 8 should NEVER wear a knitted skirt and then only after very serious contemplation of their fashion sense - but then that's a personal opinion only.

In short, a great book, clear instructions with a good range of interesting patterns over a wide choice of yarns and even a yarn substitution section. Some of the patterns might be a bit challenging for the novice but there's still plenty for the novice to get his or her teeth into. My sort of book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What gorgeous patterns!, 3 Aug 2009
Cat Balou (International) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feminine Knits (Paperback)
I've just received the book. Leafing through it, I am enchanted by the lovely designs I find. I've already earmarked 2 cardigans and the lacy summer cardi on page 71, as those I want to knit, once my current project is finished. I know American instructions are slightly different than English ones, but having thought myself to read the English ones (I am French), American ones should be doodle. I am so excited, I can't wait to get started!

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not timeless, 20 Jan 2010
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Feminine Knits (Paperback)
Originally having appeared in Danish, this book contains twenty two acceptable designs, however I would err on the side of caution in calling them 'timeless' as stated on the jacket cover and some of them appear rather dated to me.

I like several of the designs and some could be easily adapted. Mostly lacy and yes, quite feminine and attractive. I would say these are for knitters with some experience and not for the beginner. The instructions, diagrams and photos are clear and easy to follow. Very wearable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear another knitting pattern book I dislike, 9 Mar 2014
M. C. Verrall - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: Feminine Knits (Paperback)
lovely book of knitting patterns

3.0 out of 5 stars knitting book, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Feminine Knits (Paperback)
a little disappointed by the contents would not recommended it to my friends as did not think it was as comprehensive as appeared on the site

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh no, you caught me, 29 Sep 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Feminine Knits (Paperback)
That is right; I did not buy this book for sweater patterns. The patterns are nice and with a little skill can be scalable. However, I actually bought this just for the knitting patterns themselves, not sweater patterns.

Not all books can be all things to all people and my main goal is to search for new ways to do things, new patterns and see how finished patterns mostly in scarves not sweaters can be accomplished. Skipping the page 107, you will see a lace scarf described as elegant and a study in contrasts. The book describes finished measurements needles, yarn, and gages. I already have all these and just needed the inspiration from the book. This project as with many of the book can be scalable however, I only wanted enough to do a simple test and see how it works.

As with all good technical books you will find in the back of Abbreviations, Patty do some basics in crochet embroidery knitting etc. there are affirmations on different types of yarns and yarn substitutions and it index.

I found the author, Lene Holme Sams'e to be more of the map-reader to us as fellow travelers.

Feminine Knits
Feminine Knits by Lene Holme Samoe (Paperback - 15 May 2009)