on 17 November 2010
I bought this book purely on the many good reviews on Amazon, in the hope that I would find some great designs. I was extremely disappointed however, that the styles in the books are excessively fussy and lacey, they do not have the French chic of simple good taste. Most patterns are over complex and some are plain daft - viz the skirt that is like a tea towel to be worn over another garment and the weird bolero thing that looks unfinished and does up by lacing (not great if you have any kind of bust and are not size 0 nor under 20). The rather odd styles do not merit the level of complexity and effort involved in creating them. I don't understand the rave reviews, but I guess if you are into making very complex knitwear in all over lace designs then this book is for you. In my opinion, if you are looking for cool, stylish, chic knits that emulate the French knack of dressing simply with je ne sais quoi, then this book will fall very short.
VINE VOICEon 17 November 2009
I was so looking forward to this book but I think my grave error was not knowing enough about the author's style beforehand. There isn't one project in the book I'd make, because they're all of a floaty, hippie, vaguely mysterious type of clothing. It's a pity that the author didn't see fit to include something that didn't have acres of lacework in it, but if that's what got her the book deal, fair do. If you're thinking of getting this, make sure you check out what sort of patterns she's done before, so you can get an idea of what sort of things are going to be in the book.
A really misleading title - not one of these projects looks like they'd be worn by a French woman or, indeed, girl. Disappointing.
on 29 September 2009
Loved the book - have lined up several projects to make, and liked the fact that creativity with yarn choices and substitutions were encouraged. HOWEVER...!! Make sure you have ample yarn beforehand, and can obtain more if necessary. I knitted the Viola cardigan in a colour that was discontinued half way through my project. Having bought the correct amount - and knitted to the correct tension - it became obvious that I was going to run out. Feeling sure that I couldn't be more than one hank out, I tracked down the discontinued colour on-line - and paid postage to get it. Annoying therefore, to discover that I was going to need another one, AND to have to pay postage twice over. Even then, I was splicing scraps to complete the last few rows. LOVE the finished cardigan, however, and will be making more from this book - having made sure that my yarn stash is well-stocked in advance!
on 26 March 2013
Really lovely book full of gorgeous patterns to choose from. I bought this book to knit the shrug, Veronique but I am really pleased with the other patterns. Can;'t wait to get started. Also, received in excellent condition.
on 7 April 2010
There are perhaps only two items in this book I would not make!!

Seamless construction.............my idea of heaven!!

Easy to follow instructions and advice on how to translate other patterns into a seamless knit!!

Word to the wise, check out the erratta at her website before starting anything as there are (only) a couple of mistakes with some projects (lets face it, most knitting books have some corrections published at some point!!)

I would recommend this book without hesitation!!
on 11 September 2013
a beautiful book with some stunning patterns. So absolutely feminine !!! I've spun the yarn....just need to purchase the circular needles necessary to start the patterns.....
on 18 May 2012
This is a wonderful book with a variety of seamless knitting techniques. I have made 3 items from it and they turned out well.
I found a copy in the library and even though I was a beginner, I was easily able to knit a lovely girly tunic style garment. Now that I am more experienced, it has a great variety of seamless methods, finishing techniques and feminine details. So I had to own a copy, my first knitting book!
Highly recommend it. Personally the jacket on the front is my least favourite. The garments would suit ages 20-70years.
on 30 December 2014
Cute patterns
on 17 April 2012
A beautiful inspiring book of classy knits. A feast for the eyes and a delight To try. I recommend thus book to anyone who wants out of the ordinary class.
on 11 November 2011
This little book is full of great idea - great value for money! It arrived within 24 hours which was a big bonus.