on 11 January 2009
I have just received this book from Amazon and instantly fell in love with some of the designs. I don't often buy pattern books as there are so many available online but this one is a joy to own. Beautifully presented, gorgeous designs with something rather special about them. Even the ones I wouldnt personally make for myself have set off my thinking about adapting them E.g. The Wedding ensemble!

My only bugbear is that the yarns recommended are quite difficult to track down here in the Uk. It is getting easier to buy the more esoteric ones online however. Books like this are great for those who have some experience of knitting and want to make lovely garments a cut above the old-fashioned cardis and sweaters associated with the craft. The author invites us to be creative and develop the patterns for one's own taste. Buy it if like me you want your work to bear your own signature. I have already started on two projects using wool Ive been saving for a design worthy of it!
on 13 July 2009
I bought the book for one single reason: The beautiful cardigan on the cover. I do not regret my purchase but want to point out that the zipper does not look so good where it meets the collar, almost like an afterthought. Also, the cabled part of the sleeve is sown to the upper sleeve in a way which makes the sleeve sag just a little bit. Neither of these issues is visible on the cover page given how the model poses, but it's obvious from the photographs inside the book.
Ah, well...it should be possible to improve both zipper and sleeve joints with a little bit of thought and effort. I WILL have this cardigan ;-)

I also thought the design workshop was on the thin side (only 8 pages). Other than that, it's a great book. I concur with most of the five star raters on these pages. Some beautiful and unusual designs, clear instructions, nice pictures, nice quality paper, inspiring, and so on. If you like romantic knits, I certainly recommend this book.

If you prefer more subtle, classy knits, I recommend "custom knits" by Wendy Bernard instead. This book also contains more information about the technical aspects of making one's own designs.
on 28 April 2009
I recieved this book last week, and have hardly put it down since!
Such beautiful and imaginitive designs and all wearable. I don't think there is a single design that I would class as unwarable in a way-out fasion sence.
Each design is refreshing and modern, such a change from the boring 'every-day' styles most often seen in the knitting books of yesterday.
Every page brings gasps of delight. Infact I can't decide which I will start to knit first!
All instructions are clear and easy to follow with lots of additional notes, hints & tips assosiated to each design as well as several photographs and design drawings too.
I'm so pleased I now own this book, it's a 'keeper'!!!
on 9 July 2008
I bought this book just because of the reviews, I wanted something special, not the common sweater or the old cardi,and the traditional scarf,(I mean there plenty of these patterns everywhere), and I found it here.
Every pattern is fantastic, belive me,they are really works of art.
Beautiful pictures, very detailed descriptions, but most of all the author is a friendly sensitive woman with a deep love for nature, and she helps you to find out your inner inspiration throught everydays life, just watching around and paying attention to the colors of life.
I wish she writes a book about "Home knitting".I really hope.
VINE VOICEon 2 February 2010
There are three levels to this book. The first is the patterns, more of which later, the second is the idea of moving from design sketch to design; some design notes that would give you further ideas and some notes on making it your own, how to change some things and retain the concept. The third are the Design workshop ideas, four in all reflecting the four parts the book is divided in (Autumn, Winter, Spring, Summer); all asking people to look further at what inspires you. There are times though that the author comes across as a bit pretentious.

The patterns are divided by season, first being Autumn
The Indian Summer Cardigan is an interesting but boxy cardigan, wouldn't suit everyone but has potential, the leaf shapes on the tip are inerestingly contrasted by the step concept below the waist, it has the 3/4 length sleeves that many people like

The Amber Beaded Cardigan is in gold with beads, quite a nice piece with a little lace on the bottom and a contrast around the edge. The sleeves are flared and full.

Walk in the Woods Jacket. Leaves and flowers in colourwork, you either like this or hate this, again the sleeves are flared and full.

Coral Roses Jacket - long jacket with a belt and inartasia large roses along the hem with a single rose on the back. Could be interesting on the right person, the sleeves use some cablework to pull them in at the bottom and some colourwork at the bottom

Fair Isle Caplet and Gauntlets. This got the most mockery at the Friday Fiber Fun session I brought this to. It isn't pictured with outdoor wear under and I think that detracts from it's possible usefulness. Very not my sort of things

Winter has: Shimmer Lace Shrug, more a cropped cardigan really and it would be cute as either an evening-wear item or possibly a wedding wear item. nice stuff

Snowdrift Cardigan, Cabling at the cuffs and collar that's quite bulky, nice concept but I don't know that it would be all that practical.

Winter Wonderland Coat - cables on the bottom, plain top, cabled cuffs to the elbow, deep collar to show off a nice scarf, this has a lot of potential, though, you'd have to make sure that the end of the cables hit you in the right place, it would be a spectacular piece. Usefully the schematics do show the different "hit" points so pretty easy to adjust.

Evergreen Sleeve Tunic - BIG Bulky knitting for a huge jumper. Looks big on the model, not my sort of thing.

Whisper Cuff Cardigan - torn on this one, large collaring with cables and sleeves with some inset details make it look interesting but I'm not sure that it would stay on well.

Frost Flower cuff Pullover. Interesting lazy daisy stitch embroidery with beading jazzes up this moss stitch jumper, the raglan sleeves with the cabling are also an interesting touch. The beads are sewn in afterwards so you could leave it out or substitute. The bead placement and embroidery are shown as concept rather than clearly worked out.

Spring has: the lily of the valley shrug, shaping created by the stitching, edging added, this isn't a bad design

Seed-Stitch Poet Jacket is a cardigan with an attached scarf with lacework, quite nice looking piece and could work well to dress up a summer dress for a spring or autumn wedding.

The Victorian Lace Blouse also provoked some discussion. It's quite fussy in places but I could see myself getting rid of the flouncing and knitting it as an under-shirt for some of the corsets I own. Underwear as outerwear and it would need careful planning when wearing as the lace needs camisole or such under it.

The Vintage Linterie Top is not the best, the contrast piece underbust doesn't quite work for me, that could be just the photos. Not a bad piece, again could be useful as a corset underwear.

Summer has the Tiny Twists Camisole, interesting detail for the strap, not so sure about the body of the piece, still if that's what you enjoy...

Ribbed Halter - if you like halter tops this might be the piece for you. Made from the centre out it would be easily adjustable for most bodies.

Papillion Cardigan a short-sleeved cardigan with lace skirt andd contrast trip on the edge and cuffs.

Wedding Ensemble is a two-piece garment with a short sleeved top with lace caps and hem and a tiered skirt. I like the top but the skirt is too fussy for my taste.

I do own a copy, if you're looking to start adjusting and designing it's a good book to kickstart ideas. It also helps that some of the patterns are quite pretty. The design notes and make it your own along with the well-drawn schematics make many of the patterns very adaptable, a feature not enough books have.
on 15 January 2010
I haven't actually knitted anything from this book yet (just arrived) but flicking through there are a couple of things I can't wait to start. Sadly the rest are a tiny bit old fashioned for me (not fond of leaves and flowers adorning my cardi's and sweaters).

The cardi on the front is one I'd definately like to tackle, as are some of the plainer items. The book itself is satisfyingly glossy and readable.
on 16 February 2015
I was hugely disappointed by this book. I thought from the description that it would provide me with some really different, more modern designs, but I was so disappointed at the content of the book and the so called 'inspiring' designs. Out of the whole book there were only possibly two I would bother to call different and would have a go at making. Maybe this is why they didn't have the 'look inside' facility!
Don't bother!
on 26 October 2012
I don't often buy pattern books because I so rarely like the majority of patterns in the book, but 'Inspired to Knit' is the exception. It is beautifully laid out, with just the right amount of text. It contains stunning pictures infused with the atmosphere and natural beauty of the author's home in Maine, New England. Everything about this book says 'quality', as fans of Interweave Press have come to appreciate.

It is divided into sections by the theme of the four seasons. "To me, the knitter's year begins in autumn", writes Michele Rose Orne, before giving her reader some breath-taking patterns for autumn cardigans in hues of gold and orangey browns. Out of the projects for each season, there are guaranteed to be one or two that you will want to knit. The stand-out projects for me are 'Shimmer Lace Shrug', 'Winter Wonderland Coat' (which has a popular following on Ravelry.com), 'Whisper Cuff Cardigan', 'Victorian Lace Blouse' and 'Wedding Ensemble'. There are just so many projects the reader will feel excited about knitting, and styles for every level of experience.

But the reader is not only given lots of patterns, she is also encouraged to start designing. In a series of 'design workshops' Michele Rose Orne leads the reader through her own creative process as a designer: "Most of my ideas come from nature, fashion, history, and art. I love to collect natural objects, pieces of vintage textiles, and loads of books ... I take walks in the woods and along the beach. I do all of this to gain inspiration." She recommends the reader to do the same: "Go outside and take a really close look at nature. Stroll along a beach and collect shells, rocks, sea glass, and driftwood. Take a walk in a forest, field, or garden and pay attention to the leaves, flowers, moss, and bark." Orne offers advice about choosing a colour palette, how to make a "creative swatch" where you can test your ideas out in yarn, and how to make a working pattern. This is all followed up with a good bibliography to help the knitter taking her first steps into the world of knitwear design.

I am so glad I bought this book and it will definitely be one of the most treasured and well-used in my knitting library. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book in particular, and Interweave Press in general, to other knitters.
on 30 November 2010
I was bought this book as a christmas present last year and I have knitted a few of the designs. I even adapted the poncho pattern to a cape this year. If you have some experience of knitting this book is ideal for you. There are some lovely patterns but with it being American you will have to change the type of wool you use.
on 23 August 2012
Several projects to do here. the one on the cover, which is actually the best design In the book is going to get started soon.