5.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone, 16 Sept. 2007
H. B. Hosegoood (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Favorite Socks (Spiral-bound)
Whether you already enjoy knitting socks or want to start now, I would recommend this book. It includes patterns for just about every type of sock: short, long and in between; walking styles and pretty styles; textured designs, colour patterns and fairly plain, adaptable designs; there are socks knitted from the top down, socks knitted from the toe up and even one pair that you can knit either way. Precilla's Dream Socks even has instructions for different gauges which means that you can knit yourself a pair using whatever yarn you happen to have or like. As it says on the cover, there are 25 designs and there are 13 designers to ensure a good range of styles. The instructions are comprehensive so you don't need to know much about knitting to get started, and there are further details at the back about casting on, working in the round, grafting, decreasing and increasing. The photography is clear, so you can see the details clearly. All in all, I'd say that this was the only socks book you'd ever need - not that I am likely to stop here!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have, 14 Sept. 2009
Trine Larsen "floderten" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Favorite Socks (Spiral-bound)
In short, this is one of those "must-have" books on sock knitting. It's full of interesting patterns for different gauges (I really like this), it incorporates different techniques such as lace, cables and colourwork, there's a small story for each pattern and: it's spiral bound. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to copy my patterns so that I don't bend the book too much while knitting. This one stays flat and open, just like many of Ann Budd's books.

So far I've made 3 or 4 patterns from this book, and I look forward to knitting more. If only I had more hands and more time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a sweet shop of lovely patterns, 20 May 2009
This review is from: Favorite Socks (Spiral-bound)
This is a delicious book, with many patterns I want to knit! Having already finished the 'Embossed Leaves' socks, with instructions so easy and clear I could almost knit them with my eyes closed, I am ready to get on with the cover socks. The instructions for various casting on methods is really useful, so I've learned something new here as well. A book to treasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely socks, 14 April 2011
Lola Rose (Edinburgh, Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Favorite Socks (Spiral-bound)
I have been knitting socks for some considerable time but have always used the same pattern. Saw this book and thought I would branch out...and I'm SO glad I did....there are some beautiful socks in this book. My favourite pattern being the one on the cover and if socks can be elegant these are those socks....they are a thing of beauty. I'd never knit using a chart before but it makes it soooo easy, and this book has the easiest description of the Kitchener stitch that I've ever come across. If you are new to knitting this may not be the book for you BUT if you are already a reasonable knitter and want to try socks give this book a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book!, 5 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Favorite Socks (Spiral-bound)
Favourite Socks is absolutely a must-have book for both beginner and experienced sock knitters. The techniques are clearly explained and for every sock you knit you can easily learn a new technique (intarsia knitting, lace knitting, top down sock patterns, bottom up sock pattern and so on). These is also a clear table with all socks sizes for baby, woman and man and last but not least the book is bound with a spiral which allows you to have the book lay flat while you are knitting ...this means that you won't have to costantly flick through the pages to follow the pattern!

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitting socks the American way, 17 July 2012
This review is from: Favorite Socks (Spiral-bound)
I think this must be one of the most helpful books around to enable someone to adjust to the American way of knitting. There is a very helpful couple of pages at the end of the book, to help you interpret the 'americanisms'. Needle sizes are given in mm as well as the American manner. As to the wool... a trip to my local wool shop supplied me with a suitable sock yarn that knitted to the tension given in the pattern. Not all patterns require 5 needles - some use 4, as we are used to. Most patterns are from the top down, but there is one that can be knitted either that way or from the toe up. The book is spiral bound, which I have found helpful.

In addition, I have found it has given a new dimension to my knitting, showing me techniques I have not used previously, and which I shall certainly adopt in the future.

Anyway, one sock completed and - and it fits! - the second well on the way. Can't wait to have the pair!

5.0 out of 5 stars Will be my favourite patterns, 26 Nov. 2010
Jax (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Favorite Socks (Spiral-bound)
What a lovely book, I shall knit almost all of these socks. Lovely patterns, clearly written and beautifully photographed. Wish I had decided to buy this when it first came to my attention months ago. Still just drooling, knitting to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of lovely sock patterns, 1 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Favorite Socks (Spiral-bound)
Good instructions for novice sock knitters and useful information for the more experienced. Lovely patterns starting with the easier ones to the more complicated.

5.0 out of 5 stars :-), 2 April 2013
This review is from: Favorite Socks (Spiral-bound)
Fantastisk bog - rigtig mange dejlige opskrifter, som jeg med garanti skal få meget glæde af til familie og venner :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sock Makers delight., 20 Aug. 2013
Mrs. S. A. Engh "Sapphire" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Favorite Socks (Spiral-bound)
Love this book and have already started working my way through the patterns. The patterns are explained very well, even for a beginner and there are loads of extra tips for all. Would recommend this book to anyone who knits socks regularly as the variety of different styles available is enormous. As an added advantage the book stands or fold in half easily.

Favorite Socks
Favorite Socks by Ann Merrow (Spiral-bound - 1 Feb. 2007)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available