Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 October 2007
This excellent book has some absolutely beautiful patterns, ranging from a tiny wire-knitted cuff, to a stunning full-length dress and stole, but the best thing of all (for us non Kate Moss types) is that almost all the patterns are given in sizes up to a 50in. bust. It makes a refreshing change to find this in a standard (as in *not* branded for "Big Girls") pattern book. But the good stuff doesn't end there! As well as comprehensive pattern instructions, there is a very useful section at the back which contains tips for lace knitting and designing lace patterns, and also a section which shows you how to rectify lace mistakes; invaluable for those who are starting out in lace knitting.

The patterns themselves are of varying degrees of difficulty, as one would expect, and there really is something for everyone. If you only ever buy one pattern book for knitting lace, make it this one, as it has the most useful information I have ever seen in 40+ years of knitting.
11 comment|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is another good book from Interweave. It includes 21 designs as follows: three cardigans (the one on the cover, another one worked in garter stitch with a lacy border along the front edges and at the cuffs, and a 1930s style lacy cable design in two lengths); four summer tops (a very pretty lace-edged 'corset', a pretty tank top with a leaf design that you would have to wear over something else, a little vest with shoestring straps and a lingerie dress that looks like a ballet dress); a jumper with stocking stitch body and lacy sleeves that has an elegant lacy design at the front neck; two shrugs both very lacy; an impressive sleeveless ankle-length dress with a high neck that comes with a matching shawl; an unusual stretchy skirt with the bottom half lacy and the top half solid; a shawl with a scallop design; some socks with a tulip design; fingerless gloves; cuffs (I can't quite appreciate these); lacy cap; legwarmers; a wimple (neck warmer/headcover); a beaded bracelet and an elegant summer hat designed by Annie Modesitt. I can't said I'd want to make all of these because I don't, but I love the corset, designed by Michele Rose Orne, plus the hat, some of the tops and the shawl. Interweave instructions are reliable and there are lots of photographs of each design so you get a good idea what you are about to knit. If you are interested in getting to grips with lace knitting I would recommend this book.
on 5 February 2010
I am a keen knitter and particularly enjoy lace knitting. I was very disappointed with this book because in my opinion, the majority of the designs are not really geared to anyone over the age of 25 - and are certainly not designed for anyone with any curves. There are some pretty garments and some nice gift ideas, lacy collars and cuffs for example, but nothing that really made me want to reach for my needles.
on 27 January 2010
One of the best books on lace knitting that I have seen

But I don't think this is the best book for beginners (for that I would recommend the 'book on CD', 'Knitting Shetland Lace' by Elizabeth Lovick)

Otherwise I agree with all that is said above. 'Lace style'gives 12 books in the Bibliography and I have 10 of them plus some not mentioned - the 2 I don't have are from Barbara Walker and are out of print and expensive. But this one and Susan Lewiss's Workbook would be competing for my one lace book on a desert island.

In particular, she provides concise and clear instructions and explanations for basic procedures and 'The interplay of yarnovers and decreases'

Additionally, several techniques used in the patterns are useful and interesting and the use of a couple of complementary stitches in a design is stimulating

Buy it if you have some experience and want to learn more or if you are a beginner, buy it and leave the patterns till later but use the technique sections to speed your learning.

Happy lace knitting

Elizabeth
on 21 January 2009
I have just recenlty bought this book after reading other reviews! I am so impressed, starting with the layout, the descriptive pictures of articles and stitches, the variety of projects, but most importantly they are projects I'm likely to knit. I am delighted with the range of sizes too :-) I am not willowy or slender, yet the designs would still be suitable. Also, I was thinking that today I might not feel like tackling a large project and start on something small, but next week I can get right into it and start the dress! Yes, thank you people for your reviews because I am glad I purchased it.
on 16 December 2009
I purchased this book because it promised practical advice for beginners. Designs are lovely and very inspirational and instructions seem very clear. I have not made anything yet but patterns are very well explained and tips-and-notes helpful in general. I only wish we Italians could find such books in our language !
on 24 March 2010
This is a lovely book full of inticate lace patterns, but targeted for an intermediate audience. I enjoyed every one of these patterns and am knitting my way through the book
on 23 December 2014
Love this book as described good value for money satisfied!
on 18 August 2010
There are some really nice patterns in this book but beware it is written for American knitting which is very different to UK and difficult to understand if you have no prior knowledge of USA pattern codes.
on 17 July 2015
More shelf worn than excpected