5.0 out of 5 stars a splendid intro
This is an excellent book to give to a non-catholic friend or poorly instructed Catholic. If read it will give them a coherent understanding of the Catholic position. Hahn's lively style and the succinct length of the book simply add to it's effectiveness.
Published on 31 Dec 2008 by Robert Ian Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting but uneven
interesting attempt at answering important questions but main criticism is uneven cover of themes especially towards the latter half of book
Published 15 months ago by P. MANGION

5.0 out of 5 stars a splendid intro, 31 Dec 2008
Robert Ian Williams "Robert Williams" (Bangor is y Coed, Wales) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr.Scott Hahn in brilliant form!, 23 April 2009
Excellent book from Scott and one that all serious Catholics should have in their collection.
`Reasons to Believe` provides sound theology at a level all can understand quite easily and enable the reader to give sound replies to those age old questions from non-Catholics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-reading it, 27 Jan 2013
I am a fan of Scott Hahn. His writing is clear and easily accessible, because he is used to speaking to "beginners" in the academic field. I am re-reading the book in order to assimilate more. It has greatly enriched me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-structured and Well-researched, 22 Oct 2009
Though this book is organised and sensible, it is quite ordinary as a book which defends a certain religion, that's why I do not intend to give it 5 stars. I was brought up as a Conservative Christian Protestant, but I see myself more like a Liberal Christian Protestant. 2 of my best friends are Catholic, they are really helpful and one of them even saved my life out there. My encounters with them made me feel the warmth of Jesus, their kindness and brilliance simply reflect the impact of Christ's way upon their lives. I love them! I am even considering to convert into a Catholic, but unfortunately, my mom won't allow me to. She doesn't even allow me to be a Liberal Protestant rather than a Conservative Protestant. Oh my, she is such a fundamentalist, but not in a nice way, you know. I am a literalist too, but I really take the words of the Son for real. I know that I wasn't kidding when I said that I would do what He did when my time comes as I break free from the chains of my family, as Jesus did. He travelled, away from Joseph and Mary, into the crowds and lived out His true purpose which the Father gave Him. He submitted to the will of the Father in Heavens. My friends did not recommend this book to me, but in fact, this book FOUND ME!!! I cannot believe my luck!!! This cannot be mere coincidence, but I came across this book and bought it straight away. I have also noticed that this same author has been writing other books to defend and promote Catholicism. Yet, I cannot help but think that writing books specifically for this purpose is just a bit... You know. Just like how Richard Dawkins and the other secularists wrote books specifically to attack and attempt to banish religion from the world. Many of them even went beyond that and attempted to destroy spirituality and faith as well. Even though I know that Scott and C.S. Lewis wrote in a less offensive manner, they wrote books which deal with sensitive topics. That's why I am somewhat cautious when reading this, but then this book is still worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting but uneven, 9 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Scott Hahn's book - good as always, 15 Aug 2012
Although each of the subjects touched in the book is really much wider then only 1 chapter, even if we'll take the Bible only. So it's not really complete - that's why only 4 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars reasons to believe, 3 Feb 2009
Deirdre F. Chislett (salisbury wiltshire england) - See all my reviews
absolutely readable and no long convaluted sentences.Pass it on to someone who wants to know if God is found using logic.

3.0 out of 5 stars I just didn't "get it", 8 Dec 2008
I am a Catholic, and I was newly converted when I bought this book on the advice of friends. To be honest, I didn't feel that it gave me or my husband any reasons to believe. I read it, thought "was that it?" and put it on the shelf. It has stayed there, and not been re-read. I have not invested in Mr Hahn's other books for fear of being disappointed again. I know for many many peope this book has been so helpful, but for me it was very general and didn't really live out the promise of the title as I personally did not feel any more equipped to understand, explain or defend the Church than I did before reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars More a reference book than answer book.., 6 July 2012
I bought this book and was hoping to find the answers I was looking for. More or less so that I could fight to defend my Catholic faith. Scott is obviously a very intelliget man. Nonetheless, this book left me bewildered. it seems more of a book that you read then you have to refer to the bible for the complete answers. I took some snippets from it but not a lot. I was disappointed to say the least. Too complicated and you would really need to have a bible at hand to get the complete picture. In saying that I will probably buy some more of his writings. Hopefully they wont be as much a struggle as this one was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasons To Believe, Scott Hahn, 5 July 2009
A. K. Whitehead (Pontefract, England) - See all my reviews
Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain and Defend the Catholic Faith
Excellent book. Clearly, persuasively and very effectively written. Look forward to reading others by this author

Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith