on 3 November 2000
"The tendency in legalistic religion is to mistrust God, to mistrust others, and consequently to mistrust ourselves. Allow me to become personal for a moment. Do you really believe that the Father of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is gracious, that he cares about you? Do you really believe that he is always, unfailingly, present to you as companion and support? Do you really believe that God is love?"
With these words Brennan Manning challenges us to ask ourselves if we really believe. Are we willing to cast aside our action steps, our striving human effort, and make room for the God who is present, gracious, and who does care for us? Read this book and find out why you should.
on 15 December 2004
This book by Brennan Manning is absolutely inspired! The book is about how much God loves us - 'warts and all'. It teaches us to accept His grace and to understand that we are worthy of His love and that we have His understanding and acceptance even though we may be spiritual 'ragamuffins'! This book really opened my eyes to the awesome power of God's love and mercy. It has also encouraged me to draw closer to God and appreciate the wonderful life He has given me.
This is a must read book for Christians and for those considering becoming Christians. I have purchased several copies to give away to friends, and all who have read it have told me how much it has positively affected them.
VINE VOICEon 16 September 2005
Hold this book in your hand, and you hold dynamite that is ready to blow apart your misconceptions about God and His "furious love" for you. The constant offer of acceptance, love and forgiveness is explored in great simplicity and yet depth. I was stunned and awed by what I read. This really is good news. As a total ragamuffin who has found the message of this book to be lifechanging, I heartily commend it to you. That God really is this good, this kind and this passionate about us - I stand amazed and thankful. Buy this and read it, and buy another one to give away. You will be glad you did :)))
on 25 March 2009
Just as in Jesus' time, many religious sorts today live by the letter of the law, rather than the Spirit - rendering Jesus' message largely ineffective.
Manning reminds us that Jesus set us free from living our lives according to a bunch of rules, - he paid the price for our sins; past, present and future so that we could live under the perfect law of freedom.

With scripture, anecdotes and personal stories he exposes the lies and tactics that we use on ourselves, or that are foisted on us by others that ultimately serve to manipulate us, or bring us back into that position where we live by the letter of the law rather than by the Spirit.

And most of all Manning helps us to see ourselves through God's eyes and understand the immense and unfathomable love that he has for each of us. And in doing so we no longer need to "act" righteous, but instead can admit our faults and struggles comfortable in the knowledge that Jesus' loves ragamuffins and that the goal of Christianity isn't to put on a facade of righteousness, but to acknowledge our struggles and truly understand and appreciate exactly why Jesus died for us. (And he points out that ironically, when churchgoers hide their shortcomings they actually create an atmosphere in which those most in need of Jesus - those with big problems - feel out-of-place).

This book is a must for those who struggle or have always recognized (or at least suspected) that many of those spit-and-polished people at church have more problems then they let on. And for those who are tired of kicking themselves and are ready to embrace Jesus' love and finally declare once and for all that there is no condemnation in Christ.

It should also be noted that Manning in no way encourages sin, but shows that accepting God's free gift without question is the first step toward living the best life that we can and facing our struggles without guilt and self-loathing.

And excellent book!
on 17 November 2010
The Ragamuffin Gospel deserves 5 stars as a book, but the AUTHENTIC CLASSICS edition is full of typos and so badly laid out that it is difficult to read (for example 'ran' instead of 'can', whiskey served with IRE rather than ICE). I returned it and got the MULTNOMAH edition - what a difference! Clearly laid out and no typos. Please do buy this book but make sure you get an edition worthy of the text!
on 27 September 2013
In A Ragamuffin Gospel, Manning speaks of God's amazing grace, of how God loves us based on His standards not our own, about how Christianity is a grace-laden mystery. Manning's theme is that we underestimate grace, we fail to understand that God loves us no matter what. It's a ragamuffin gospel, "written for the bedraggled, beat-up and burnt-out", for those who are weary and discouraged.

Manning's message hasn't been universally accepted. Many churches preach what has been called a "Jesus-plus" gospel: to be a proper Christian, you have to have Jesus and tithe your 10%. To be a proper Christian, you have to have Jesus and attend church three nights a week and twice on Sunday. To be a proper Christian, you have to have Jesus and pray for an hour a day.

This is a church that preaches the grace of Jesus but doesn't always practice it, and it's bringing Christians under condemnation for never being good enough. That's what Manning is saying: we will never be good enough on our own, but we are all good enough in Jesus. All we need is to accept God's grace. It's not that tithing, attending church or praying are bad--they're not--but they don't affect our salvation. God loves us unconditionally, and can't love us any more or any less.

And that's the Ragamuffin gospel. Jesus, and his grace extended to me and you. It's not what you do; it's Who you know. Recommended.

Thanks to Blogging for Books for providing a free ebook for review.
on 29 September 2008
This book has transformed my understanding of God and His love for me, and my relationship to/with Him. Probably the best book I have read (apart from the Bible), it speaks in a straight forward, compassionate and passionate way: one humble, redeemed ragamuffin trying to communicate the marvellous truth he has understood to others. Wonderful!
on 8 October 2013
This is the most amazing book, I felt lifted and exhilarated by the vastness of God,s love as described by Brennan Manning. As I come towards the end of this book, I am getting a new direction for my life. I have recommended it to many people who are struggling with guilt and feeling distanced from God. I strongly recommend you read it too!
on 29 May 2010
THIS BOOK WILL TRANSFORM YOUR MIND TO KNOW THE REAL TRUE GOD AND THE REAL SELF KNOWING THAT WE ARE LOVED SO UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY AS WE ARE YOU WILL BE FREED FROM ANXIETY AND RELIGIOSITY TO BE THE CHILD GOD LOVES SO COMPLETELY I READ THIS BOOK THROUGH TEARS OF PURE JOY AND KNOW ITS A MUST FOR EVERYONE THE BIBLE ITSELF BECOMES THE LOVE LETTER FROM GOD IT WAS MEANT TO BE THROUGH THE REVELATION OF THIS RAGAMUFFIN STATE OF OURS PREPARE TO BE BLESSED EXTREMELY BLESSED BY WHAT YOU READ HERE
on 11 January 2014
We love max lucado and joseph prince. Brennan brought a completely different viewpoint to God's Grace, but tied all the different strands of Grace together beautifully.