5.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing story as it is harsh, 6 Aug. 2009
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 0:14 Mins

I bought the book because a caption on the back cover caught my attention. "I take out one of my cameras. I choose a 20mm lens, a very wide angle, and shoot from the ground. To let people know where I died."

Well, that and because the book was selling for only £6 on Amazon UK.

In July 1986, French photojournalist Didier Lefèvre took on an assignment to document the efforts of Doctors Without Borders in war-torn Afghanistan. The story is told with photographs comic-book style, with the illustrations of Emmanuel Guibert filling in the blanks and dialogues throughout, based off the notes taken.

What we have here is a story that's incredibly absorbing and powerful. Through the photos and narration, we're immediately transported to Afghanistan, just right beside Didier Lefèvre. The feeling is no different when you're in a different country, experiencing a different culture and way of life. We get to see what he sees, hear what he hears. We walk along the same hazardous mountain paths, always on the lookout for Russian helicopters. And we try to find meaning into the work done by Doctors Without Borders, be it bandaging a poor boy's burnt foot or cutting out the dead cornea of a soldier.

This is a difficult book to read, in the sense that you're confronted with the realities of war. Just behind the front line of war, we're with the doctors, looking at how these people cope with the war and their lives. There will be many moments to set you thinking about what these people are fighting for. Many times you'll want to leave Afghanistan, something we can just do by putting down the book, but not easily too as we're drawn to find out how the journey ends.

The Photographer is a very raw and powerful account of the journey Didier Lefèvre went through, as well as the work of Doctors Without Borders. The story is as absorbing as it is harsh at the same time.

5-stars for bringing me to a place I'll not want to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the comic book., 15 April 2011
J. M. Salinas (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Photographer (Paperback)
The Photographer tells the story of a group of French doctors belonging to Doctors Without Borders (Medicins Sans Frontiers) and their travails in war torn Afghanistan in the second half of the 1980s. A greatly detailed documentary of the dedication and work that these true heroes of modern times carried out in those lands.
And perhaps documentary is the right word for this work. The Photographer is like no other realistic comic book in the sense that it is more a story told through the photographs of Didier Lefevre (The Photographer) with bits of comic book style strips filling in the blanks of the story.

So you don't get a war comic book in the vein of the works of Joe Sacco, where there is a chance for the author to have embellished or exaggerated the truth. In here, every caption of the comic book is backed by the huge photographic evidence collected by Lefevre. The squallid conditions in which the doctors had to operate, the gruesome injuries suffered by the Afghans, the barren mountainous landscapes, every single detail is depicted in detail through photograph after photograph.

The Photographer works to perfection as a blend of comic book and journalistic reportage. It is a shame that this work was published after Lefevre's death and that the main author of this fantastic piece of work did not live to see its publication and success. The Photographer excels precisely at what good comic books should do: approximate to the layman difficult and thorny issues with an accessible presentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing must buy!!!!, 2 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Photographer (Paperback)
This book is amazing, original, fascinating and so powerful.... I first read these books in French and in 3 different volumes. This version amalgamates all three volumes into one and the translation is really good. Regardless of all this, this is a a work of art and of passion that tells itself visually. It records a moment in time and place that really happened, through Didier Lefevre's photographs and Emmanuel Guibert's drawings. Didier, the photographer follows the journey of doctors (medecins sans frontiere) through war torn Afghanistan in the mid 80's. The great courage and devotion of the people who chose to be involved in this place in this time comes through with great strength and positivity. The world that they all encountered and learned to negotiate, the type of people it drew opens minds to different cultures and adventures that we don't normally get to witness. It's a great journey. The journey that lead Emmanuel Guibert to put together this book after Didier died (much later in Paris of a heart attack) is also moving.

This book became my favourite birthday & chistmas gift. You can't go wrong with this. It's for everybody!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The photographer, 9 Aug. 2010
K. Rugg "chaperon rouge" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Photographer (Paperback)
I brought this book as a gift for a teenage nephew as I am on a mission to open their eyes to the world beyond football and high street musical.
I felt the graphic novel format would make it more accessible. After leafing through it I decided to keep it but it has taken me a few weeks to get it down off the shelve and read it.
I suppose the subject felt too hard. It has kept me enthralled for a week.
This is not cosy comfortable reading, while you are in the book you really feel what the characters are going through.
I am rarely emotionally moved by my reading choices but this book really did that without being sentimental.
It is a masterpiece which gives us a different angle on Afghanistan in fact it makes it three dimensional.
The story will grab you and never let go even though you are shouting to get off because it is so disturbing and you really feel the pain.
The artwork serves the story to perfection it conveys the mood in an economical, stripped down and stunning way.

I think all my friends will be getting this for their birthdays.

I really wish I could give it more stars.
Chaperon Rouge

5.0 out of 5 stars A great graphic novel, 21 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Photographer (Paperback)
This is the story of a photographer who was in Afghanistan during the war with the Soviet Union. It mixes graphic and actual photos to tell a very interesting story and describe the situation then and there. Highly recommended to those interest in the history of the region, quality graphic novel lovers and photoreportage enthusiasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story-telling art by Emmanuel Guibert and great documentary coverage ..., 23 April 2015
J. E. D. Falby (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Photographer (Paperback)
This book is the first Graphic Novel that I have seen combining art and photos.
Great story-telling art by Emmanuel Guibert and great documentary coverage by the
photographer. A wonderful read - and a trail;-blazer for a new sort of Graphic Novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice edition, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Photographer (Paperback)
I bought for my boyfriend, nice edition, fast delivery.
Nothing else I can say about the book but He was delighted

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Photographer (Paperback)
Superior story, brilliant book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Mar. 2015
Wonderful story of journey

The Photographer
The Photographer by Emmanuel Guibert (Paperback - 5 Jun. 2009)