5.0 out of 5 stars Life sucks less with life sucks
As a poor shmuck with a love for comics I face a common dilemma, one you all are no doubt used to: what do I spend my hard earned cash on? With great titles coming out on a monthly (or so) basis, and years of back catalogue of comic greats to buy your way through, each purchase can cause quite a bit of indecision.

I think you'll know where I'm going with this...
Published on 14 July 2008 by George Barnes

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun But Somewhat Shallow
Published on 5 May 2010 by A. Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Life sucks less with life sucks, 14 July 2008
George Barnes (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life Sucks (Paperback)

I think you'll know where I'm going with this (five stars), but I'm going to say it anyway, if not only to drive home the fact that this is a great little book.

Not for a long time have I read a book that revels in the medium of comics such as this. Where some comics rely on the medium for effect, it seems to me that the creators of this book are genuinely having fun with the parameters that comics demand. (Just one panel of the look on Lord Radu's face was enough to leave me in stitches).

Each of the characters is well defined and developed over the course of the story. You'll find yourself really caring for for even Lord Radu. The dialogue is sharp, witty, and overall, very, very funny.

And last but not least, the artwork is a dream. Pleece manages to convey emotions with a mix of subtlety and fun. The dark black and red backgrounds that provide the backdrop for a lot of the book are excellently juxtaposed with the bright colourful characters.

So I implore you; if you're stuck on that decision of what to spend your dough on this week, make it easy on yourself, buy this!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun But Somewhat Shallow, 5 May 2010
A. Ross (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Life Sucks (Paperback)
I grabbed this from the library when I was looking for something I could start and finish during my 45-minute lunch break, and it pretty much hit the spot. Don't get me wrong, it's not the kind of amazing graphic novel you go out and buy as a birthday gift for your hipster friends, it's more of a fluffy sugary treat, quick and fairly fun. The story is probably best described as Clerks meets '80s John Hughes teen flicks -- with vampires. Basically, the authors are taking the popular image of vampires as sexy eternal lords who live well, and satirizing it with a cast of scrub vampires whose finances revolve around convenience stores and coffee shops, and generally look like shlubs.

Dave is one such shlub, a relatively newly minted vampire relegated to working the night shift at his vampire lord's Los Angeles convenience store. In a direct nod to Clerks, his best friend works next door at a copy shop (the 2008 version of a video store). Dave is pretty lame vampire, unwilling to drink real human blood, and thus perpetually run down due to his subsistence plasma diet. Naturally enough, he has a crush on a beautiful (non-vampire) goth chick whom he sees around. Also naturally enough, just as he gears himself up to approach her, a rival emerges in the form of a more traditionally virile and ruthless vampire (here in the form of handsome, macho surfer dude).

This love plotline goes pretty much as expected, although the writers do a nice trying to show how the goth chick's fantasy of being a vampire clashes with the reality as experienced by Dave and others. There are some pretty good gags, and nice deadpan humor (like Dave's roommate, a regular slightly nerdy human who seems entirely unfazed by Dave's transformation and vampire friends.), but ultimately, the characters are all "types" rather than fully realized people, and as such, sometime act in ways that don't really make sense, simply to drive the plot forward. It also doesn't help that the ending is poorly handled, with a major resolution taking place off-page and the whole thing kind of just petering out (perhaps in a nod to real life?). On the whole, a diverting enough read but not a book to go out of your way for, unless you're a vampire fanperson and want to see a different take.

Oh yes, I should note that as with everything this publisher puts out, the artwork is above average and the colorwork and production is top notch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 10 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Life Sucks (Paperback)
I've been looking for this for a while, and my progress was hindered at first because I vaguely remembered reading it but forgot the name of the book! So funny, and intriguing, and the vibe of a sarcastic social commentary. I would recommend it to anyone!

Life Sucks
Life Sucks by Jessica Abel (Hardcover - 6 Jun. 2008)
Used & New from: £0.48