Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 December 2011
This is a very well written gay romance. The author has set the story in a small town in California (known colloquially as St Nacho's). I have now read three books set there and I would strongly encourage people to read them in chronological order as major characters in the earlier books become minor charcters later and vice versa. This is the first one in the series. I really enjoyed this book and found it difficult to put down. It is essentially a gay romance centred around two guys but it is more than that. It covers the problems of dealing with the aftermath of a major trauma and the feelings of guilt. It also covers living with deafness. I would definitely encourage you to read this book and then I strongly suspect like me you will be hooked and avidly read all the books in the series.
on 14 October 2010
I wasn't sure what to expect from this. I read 'Crossing Borders' so I guess I was expecting something similar to that. This is a completely different book. Told in the first person, Cooper's life is complicated. He's not so much running away from life as not sure where's he's going, and St Nacho's takes him in and lets him see who he could be.

I adored the fact that Shawn was deaf and throughout the book it wasn't a big deal but it was part of it. There was no easy lip-reading or forgetting and that made it all real.

A very touching book, I found myself extremely involved in it. I was unsure how it was going to reach anything resembling a happy ever after. And of course, I wanted to know what happened to Jordie which is fortunate since I've just downloaded book 2 which is his story.

I definitely recommend it as an engaging, involving read with some hot sex scenes but to be honest this one wasn't so much about the sex as it was the people. An excellent read.
on 18 August 2013
St Nacho's is a small seaside town on the California coast, and a refuge for people who have had issues in their lives, especially young gay men.
In this first book, of four so far, Cooper, a talented violinist, finds himself in St Nacho's while running away from his past mistakes and misdeeds. He falls deeply for the gorgeous Shawn but is pulled back to his former best friend and lover, Jordan, with whom he shares a terrible burden of guilt.
The book has credible, and in every way attractive, central characters and the author inspires in the reader huge empathy with them. It is helped by the fact that Cooper and Shawn are both sexual magnets and the sexual relationship and the love between them are at once sweet and sizzling.
on 23 October 2012
Great story - characters were well defined and the first page grabbed me and drew me in (Cooper riding into town on his Harley). St Nacho's sounds like a fine place to live.
When the story began to include Stan, a preacher character who appears mid way through when Cooper's friend Jordan needs help, I started to lose interest a little. Stan is superfluous and annoying and doesn't add anything to the storyline other than some pretty boring pages. However, once back to Cooper & Shawn, the tale picks up nicely again. I really wanted a happy ending for these two.
I've since read book two in this little series - Physical Therapy, which turns out to be Jordan's story - so, obviously, book one (this one) got me interested enough in the seaside town & its inhabitants to go back for more.
on 13 February 2013
I loved this book. LOVED IT!! Very witty in places and as always from Maxfield a HOT (m/m romance) sexy read. Loved the relationship between Coop and Shawn, will defo read it again and again. can't wait to read the next book in the series!

If you like Cameron Dane you'll like ZA Maxfield too!
on 4 June 2016
A decent romance involving someone with communication issues and others with guilt. Nothing new in terms of insights but a worthwhile read.
on 5 April 2014
This was a really interesting and erotic book. I was hooked on reading it that I read it in a day of receiving it.
on 1 November 2012
This is an excellent book from start to finish It was hard to put down because the story was so good and Shawn and Cooper are such a lovely couple filled with love for each other I was not sure about the book before I read it ,but I prefer the series in books rather than the short stories so I bought the whole series of St Nacho stories and am very glad that I did ,they are all excellent
on 6 May 2016