Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 August 2009
Nicholas Valenti and Sean O'Brien are partners in the local Police Department and have been inseperable since meeting at the academy. Dubbed the Mick and the Spic - one ethnic group away from a really good joke, their close physical and emotional bonds have elicited homophobic debates and remarks form their squad despite the fact they are relentlessly heterosexual.

However, since Sean was attacked six months previously, Nick has been having increasing feelings about Sean that make him more than a little uncomfortable and when the opportunity is presented to them to go undercover at a notorious gay resort because of their bond, the two really begin to discover how close that bond really is.

I loved this book. It doesn't pretend to be what it's not but the characters are well-written and avoid being stereo-typical - I actually liked both of them. It's unashamedly romantic and although the sub-plot is barely there and does at times seem a little contrived, it's still a lovely and light-hearted read. A keeper.
on 7 October 2009
This book offers pure escapism. It is perfect if your looking for something very light and fluffy with no need for real commitment to either the characters or the story itself. I read it between a series of other fairly heavy books and it took me no more then a couple of hours to finish, perfect for what I was looking for.
on 11 June 2010
I agree with the reviewer who wrote that if your priority isn't a complex, long story and you would instead like to read about hot gay sex, then this is definitely the book for you.

Just wish the characters hadn't constantly called one another "babe" - it had me gritting my teeth with irritation by the end.
on 4 March 2010
If you read slash fiction on the internet and like it, then you will absolutely love "The Assignment". You can tell that it's written by a woman, and there's some really poor looking plot holes, but if your priority isn't a complex, long story and would instead like to read about hot gay sex, then this is the book for you.

It stole my heart, for the two male characters are so comfortable with each other even before starting any kind of sexual relationship that I truly wouldn't have minded if the whole book had been about the friendship between them.

Not only is it hot, but there's also some really funny and witty dialog and overall writing that got me constantly cracking up.
on 8 September 2009
I loved this book. I liked the characters and I liked the storyline, despite the fact that the storyline itself was completely unbelievable. I thought the sex scenes were well written and not dead like many books of this genre can be, and I liked the way the characters reacted with each other too. Worth a read.
on 27 September 2010
I like this one, its a good bit of escapism and an easy read. I also like the way the protector turns out to be the one that needs protecting some times too!
On a serious note is does deal with domestic violence - the kid's father is a tyrant who seems to like beating up his son on a regular basis and it adds a lot of angst to the story. I like the way the author has added the kid's own problems, stemming from his confusion about his feelings for his abuser. The man who has hurt him is his father, he's been brought up to think that his father is always right (as most of us have been), and that its his father's job to protect him. The struggle he has making himself get away from that relationship is well written and properly explored.
And you also find out what other uses a toaster has!
on 6 May 2010
The characters in this story are great, the plot is passing fair and the erotic elements are believable and not at all over-worked. I really enjoyed it, though I like 'Slave Boy' by the same authoress even more.Slave Boy
on 13 January 2015
Like many GFY stories this is highly implausible, but it was none the less a very enjoyable read and well written. I thought the MCs were hot together and we ended up with a nice HEA. Yeah sure its not gonna make you have any life changing epiphanies but sometimes this is exactly what I'm looking for in my m/m romantic FICTION ! I do agree with another reviewer in that one of my pet hates is the overuse of any word, "Babe" could've been used less maybe along with "sea-green eyes" and "reddish-blonde hair", other than that I really enjoyed this one.
on 2 December 2010
As wonderful as any short story could be, no, there isn't much of a plot, but still the character interaction flows well.
And the love scenes really draw you in.
on 11 October 2013
Delivery was fast and really enjoyed the book. Found it a bit slow at first, made me not want to pick the book back up, but glad I carried on reading.