1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Sebastian and Abbie-Irene do World War II- kind of., 17 Aug. 2013
David Paul Jebb "trainboydave" (Craigavon, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seven for a Secret (Hardcover)
How would our history be different if magic were real? What ways would course of events diverge and bring us something new? In the case of Elizabeth Bear's New Amsterdam series, the answer appears to be a lot... and not really at all.

The First World War does not happen in this world, but what does is far worse that what we experienced in the real world. A Hitler analogue (The Prussian Chancellor) has won a European war and his forces now occupy England. The 'wampyr' Sebastian de Ulloa and his now elderly lover Abigial Irene Garrett return to London intent on battling this malign dictatorship. However, a young Jewish girl has worked her way right into the heart of this evil in order to exact the ultimate revenge...

This title in the New Amsterdam series goes to prove that no matter how much things change, things really stay the same. The way in which Bear twists our own history and creates something we at once recognise and find strange is the real success of this series. I do have to say I did not find this entry as fulfilling as the original New Amsterdam series of stories, but it is thrilling nonetheless. Perhaps my disappointment comes from loving the whole set-up, the drama the characters find themselves part of, but not seeing it through to its completion. I still give it four stars, because Bear creates people that I am invested in, people I have learned to care about.

If you find the idea of alternate history mixing with fantasy in any way interesting, you simply have to give the New Amsterdam series a go.

Seven for a Secret
Seven for a Secret by Elizabeth Bear (Hardcover - 28 Feb. 2009)
Used & New from: £3.62