on 10 October 2001
May I suggest that Amazon suggest a reading order for on-line buyers new to the series - .
In the meantime - I would suggest new readers start with Dragon Flight.
Problems on planet Earth have prompted an intrepid group of settlers to travel many light years on a one way trip to colonise a distant world.
The intended lifestye of the settlers is agricultural and advanced technology will have no part to play. Accordingly the settlers (only newly accustomed to life without machines) are devastated when the organic menance on their new planet Pern makes itself known.
Dragon Flight tells the story of how Dragons are developed to help man in the fight against 'Thread'.
Anne McCaffrey creates a complex and entirely believable world against this backdrop.
I cannot reccommend this book and those which follow highly enough.
on 28 April 2003
Second book in the series of the Dragonriders of Pern. Anne McCaffrey weaves a delicate tissue of characters - both human and dragon - as she continues to build upon the social structure of the planet Pern. Dragons and their almost symbiotically linked riders, Lords and their wards, craftsmen, teacher-Harpers and the wonderfully affectionate and loyal fire lizards, each in their own way commited to defeating their deadly enemy......Thread.
Anyone who loves dragons or have ever wished to soar upon gossamer wings.........this series is for you.
Highly recommended.
on 10 December 2015
I'd heard of the Anne McCaffrey books when I'd started reading the Belgariad books by David Eddings. I'd never got around to buying them as I wasn't sure if I would like them. However, chatting to a colleague who read similar fantasy novels to me, he highly recommended them. So, they were my first purchases for my Kindle and I wasn't disappointed. I bought the whole lot. I guess it's a survival story in the future on a different planet and "there be dragons" and the dragons are bonded at birth with a rider so they communicate telepathically. I love the interaction between the dragons and their riders and the humour as well as the in-fighting amongst the clans.
on 3 February 2015
I read the Pern books in paper copy as a teenager and they are still as magical now. Having them on Kindle means I can dip in and out of this wonderful fantasy realm at the drop of a hat, wherever I am.
Anne McCaffrey is one of the best authors I have come across. In the Pern series, she has created not just a world, with all of its flora, fauna, population and cultural hierarchy, but the history of an entire civilization. Her other series are equally wonderful.
I don't have her full back catalogue in paper copy, but am definitely going to be working towards doing this on Kindle.
on 6 March 2016
The continuing story off mankind struggling to cling to a world that had become their home. Cut off from much of the technology we take so much for granted but instead using their relationship with the mighty but gentle dragons tho keep them safe.
on 11 June 2009
I bought the first book of the PERN series at Heathrow airport while waiting for my delayed flight. As usual - I buy first volume of something, then either give up on it, or keep buying more...and you should see my recent purchases of this saga :)
Nice mix of fantasy with occasional finding of "old future" technology that noone knows how to use. Something like Star Gate, just the other way around (and I'm a huge fan of that, too).
on 21 April 2014
Quite some years ago I bought all the Pern books and I still have them although they are extremely well worn which is why I am now downloading them all in ebooks although of course I will not part with the actual books just in case I lose anything. This really was a wonderful series and almost to the end you had to believe that there was a Pern and that the dragons etc really existed. Thank you Ms McCaffrey for hours of enjoyable reading.
on 15 December 2013
have read the entire Dragonrider series at least 3/4 times and are juat about to start the whole series again they are great stories with characters that you become immersed in Lessa,Flar,Robinton all of them become real in these well written stories I love them
on 16 December 2012
I had every Dragonbook in paperback and now I can have them on Kindle, with me to dip in and out of as I wish! Anne mcCaffrey has created a full, rich wonderful world. I would live there, even with its dangers. One book will not be enough. Save up and get them all!
on 5 May 2012
I am a real fan of the Pern series of books because I feel that they are aimed at both a male and female readership, as well as being imaginative and, in my humble opinion, well written. Dragonquest doesn't disappoint. Admittedly it is not my favourite of the series, but it holds its own and is well worth a read.