Jam

3.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the jampocalypse! A good second novel
Published on 23 Oct 2012 by Shel

4.0 out of 5 stars The Apocalypse smells of Strawberry, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Jam (Mass Market Paperback)
'Jam' reads like an hilarious cross between a zombie apocalypse story, The Blob and a slacker comedy. If you've ever read or watched any of Ben Croshaws internet material or his first novel 'Mogworld' you know what to expect. Black humour and an atmosphere of cynicism that hangs in the air like a toxic vapor. Fortunately it all works really really well (for the most part). This book is funny, has likable (or very deliberately annoying) characters, insane cults of bag wearing hipsters and obviously the whole 'death of the world by strawberry jam' thing. If you've ever enjoyed books like 'Red Dwarf' or 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' then this will be right up your ally.

Unfortunately it isn't all perfect. I was ready to give this a full five stars right up until the very ending. The last few chapters manage to solve a couple of plot threads that didn't really need answering, but leave a few you would like to see closure on dangling. The pace also becomes a bit too frantic, the lead monster gets to re-appear with no good reason, and the tired old 'Eeeeeevil Americans' plot gets dragged out (some of the logic is also a little questionable). Its not nearly enough to ruin the book, but it leaves it a little bit flat.

Still this is a solid book, you'll have a blast reading it and it has a ton of funny moments and memorable characters. Hopefully Croshaws next book will be earn the full five stars this one was close to getting.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Not Doing Another Bloody Jam Pun, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Jam (Mass Market Paperback)
I have just finished Yahtzee Croshaw's book, Jam, and I can honestly say that it is one of the best books that I have read for a very long time, even amidst a lot of Terry Pratchett. I didn't eat jam at all during my time reading it. It is a survival-horror about a thick layer of jam that attacks the Australian city of Brisbane, and four every-man characters who have to deal with it, along with other problems that arise in their fellow survivors.

The pacing is just fantastic. Literally every time my dad told me to stop reading and go to bed, something massive had just happened in the story. The plot was easy to follow, but not simplistic and doddery, which are the kind of plot problems that are addressed in Croshaw's reviews, but incidentally, for people who are fans of Zero Punctuation, I would say that it is not as farcical as them, but it would be very difficult to transplant all of the review humour into this book, and it definitely wouldn't feel right either, as, realistically, the jam is still very dangerous. Don't worry though, there's still a generous helping of laughs.

One of the main reasons why me (and my dad) love this book so much is because of the ordinary-ness of the characters. The fact that they are not humongous action-hero-mary-sues is actually what makes them such a breath of fresh air in a genre otherwise dominated by them in every form of media. I felt great to know that there were main characters in a book who aren't really good at much, like me, but are still not dead. The systematic smashing of clichés was also warmly accepted (NO stupid, over-dominating romance sub-plot that makes the story stop every 5 seconds! Thank the lord!)

Lots of people say that the first-person narrator is flat, and I'm not saying that he isn't, but this is an intentional decision, as you can see from how the other characters talk to him. I personally really liked him, and the "flatness" helped me to sort of project myself onto him and engage myself even more with the story than if it been told from a third-person POV, or even from the perspective of a character with more depth. I feel sort of bad for making good out of a flat character, something which is frowned upon in literary circles, or whatever they're called, but these are exactly my opinions, and I think that it works really well.

I do agree with others that the ending needed a bit more oomph, and it would have been nice to see a little more character development in some characters, but those are really my only criticisms.

In conclusion, if you like dramatic characters, oozing with pages and pages of pained backstory and traumatic childhoods, then this is probably not for you, but if you prefer just getting on with a good story, are not intensely bothered about character depth, and like the sound of plenty of Charlie Brooker-esque satire to go along with it, then you should definitely pick up this book, as it certainly needs more recognition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and very funny! All hail Crazy Bob!, 3 Oct 2014
This review is from: Jam (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Yahtzee Croshaw's adventure games so I thought I'd give his books a go. After thoroughly enjoying Mogworld I moved on to Jam.

Croshaw has the remarkable ability to create completely unlikeable and annoying characters who you really don't care about, yet at the same time you can't wait to find out what happens next to them.

This book is extremely funny and in many places had me literally laughing out loud.

I only have a couple of issues with this book. The main character isn't too bright, which is fine, yet for plot reasons (as this is written from his POV) he has some moments of brilliance that are completely out of character.

My other issue is the ending. It all seemed rather rushed compared to the pace of the rest of the book, giving you the feeling that the author had to cut some of the story out and paste in an alternative ending. The whole reason for the Jam happening was a bit of a let down in terms of 'the big reveal' but I'm guessing that was deliberate.

Overall, an entertaining read that is slightly let down by some out of character actions and a slightly flat ending. Looking forward to Croshaw's next book - part of me hopes it's a sequel to this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the jampocalypse! A good second novel, 23 Oct 2012
Shel (North East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jam (Mass Market Paperback)
Zero Punctuation's Yahtzee (I wonder if he's sick of being introduced with that association yet) returns to print form with a worthy follow up to [the now out of print ?!] Mogworld. This time around it's set in Brisbane, Australia during a apocalypse of jam. Without going too much into the plot (I wouldn't want to spoil a smudge of it) the story contains the expected spattering of the usual apocalyptic tropes, warring factions, ragtag group of survivors (one of which makes an appearance in Yahtzee's début book) all of which feature a spin you've come to expect from Mr Crowshaw which, to be honest, isn't always a good thing. I know it's a novel set during an "jampocalypse" but the mood wanders just a bit too much on the side of slapstick for my liking which stopped me caring too much about any of the characters that get devoured by the flesh hungry jam. Yes I know the premise is all a bit silly but none of the characters act anything close to normal people so it all feels a bit like reading a cartoon and not like the disaster parody that Yahtzee was probably aiming for here. That said it's a good read and offers plenty of laugh out loud moments, of which I'll end with my favourite:

"This is how I would die. Strangled by an attractive, semi-naked woman inside a fridge with a giant tarantula in the middle of the sea of carnivorous jam. As I blacked out, all I could think of was fortune-teller I'd spoken to a few years ago, and how full of s%*t she'd turned out to be."

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, witty and surprising. Highly recommended, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Jam (Kindle Edition)
Jam is most definitely one of the best books I've read in some time. It's humor is laugh out loud funny, such clever use of wit that makes it a delight to read.
I would compare Yahtzee's comedic sense to that of Douglas Adams' in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (but with jam instead of space and stuff).

I would recommend this for anyone looking for a light and witty read.

5 Stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as his first book., 25 Feb 2014
C. Walker (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jam (Mass Market Paperback)
Despite loving his first book, I didn't quite enjoy this as much.
It is well written, has an excellent sense of humour and great character plot.
But I just didn't enjoy the subject as much as I expected.

Just a reflection on me really, I'm sure others will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING. GOING FOR A 2ND RUN., 5 Sep 2014
This review is from: Jam (Mass Market Paperback)
I had the Audio book. Great for traveling and when I was in bed. This story is an origional idea that had hardly any potential but I was proved wrong.

I really enjoyed this book. So detailed it was hard to hit pause. I am also going to buy the book.

If you want a comical story not about zombies then i recomend this highly.

SPOILER ALERT

The story has points that you wont understand like why the Bryer center doesnt get "Jammed" only to find a chapter later it was due to the way everything was run. The detail is so well done even down to the bow being made of old wood and knickers.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantasy, realism, and jam, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Jam (Kindle Edition)
amazingly realistic sounding idea of how civilisation would collapse in post apolalyptic circumstances! And yeah, lots and lots of jam!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Mogworld is better, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Jam (Kindle Edition)
A good number of laughs in here, but it is not as captivating as his previous book. Still worth a read though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Jam (Mass Market Paperback)
Great book, a good read.

Jam
Jam by Yahtzee Croshaw (Mass Market Paperback - 23 Oct 2012)