5.0 out of 5 stars Fans will not be disappointed at all, 26 Feb 2012
TG "What I Read and What I Thought" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise Part 1 (Avatar: The Last Airbender Book Four) (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of the original animated series of Avatar and was crushed when it ended, as I felt that there was still much of the story left to tell. After reading The Promise Part 1 I can happily say that, yes, it is the story I've been waiting for. The comic book continuation of the series is doing the plot threads I had hoped to see on the show and judging by this first installment, it seems to be doing them very well indeed.

The story of Aang and his friends is picked up from where we last left them, down to the minute. Zuko is the new Fire Lord and has a lot of work ahead of him, restoring peace to the Four Nations. His first decision is to remove the Fire Nation colonies from the Earth Nation and resettle the people there back into the Fire Nation. With the Avatar by his side, he hopes this will go smoothly, but it's been a hundred years; many people of the colonies have laid down roots and don't want to leave their homes. Zuko soon realises the situation is not black and white, but will Aang agree? Or will the new friends be on opposing sides again?

I am again impressed by, despite ostensibly being for children, Avatar's willingness to tackle complex issues and do so in a smart and multi-faceted way. I read this volume in one sitting, completely engaged from start to finish. Everything great about the original series is present here: the characters, the humour, the relationships, the fight scenes. I don't think fans will be disappointed at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff, 1 Jun 2012
Having just finished the series of The Last Airbender and not being quite ready to delve into Legend of Korra, I went on a hunt to find material to extend my enjoyment of the old show, and The Promise seemed to be received quite positively, so I thought I'd give this a shot.

After reading, I can say it's really great! As an avid fan at this point I was keeping my eyes and fanboy-sense peeled for anything that was out of order with the canon, or things likes characters doing/saying things they wouldn't in the show, and it was pretty tight! It was co-written by the show's creators though, so that'll be why. It definitely does the job nicely of extending the series, and so far it's set up an interesting plot - one that isn't just black and white, good and evil, which is always nice to see. As long as they stay on track and stay true to the world of the show as they have so far, this is going to end up being an awesome set of books that I look forward to reading.

The only things I'm not thrilled about is that the books are being released very slowly (luckily I chose the right time to buy this one, since book 2 is coming out this month, but after that I'll have to wait with the rest of the fandom), so the story's going to be left hanging and incomplete for long stretches of time, which is unfortunate because it's going to leave a nagging feeling in the back of my mind for months (especially after the actual ending of TLA rounded the story off so nicely). That, and Amazon's price is a little high considering how short the book is (I tried to pace myself to make it last but it's hard not to finish the whole thing in 20-30 minutes, no exaggeration).

Still, lovely art that really pops, nice writing, I look forward to more! Definitely worth a buy if you miss the TLA characters like I do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thin but good., 21 Feb 2013
Andreas Haraldsson (Sweden) - See all my reviews
I did enjoy the idea of making the serie into a paper book so some "gaps" can be felt in. But all the books are a little short i think.
I read the first one out in no time, and have the second one to, so i could get more out of it. But it did not answer the "questions" I had. It only gave new ones. But that's okay, so long they do it good and not to many sidetracks...
So the only issue was that it was to short. Would have felt better when i got it if it were a much thicker book

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised by the book, 29 May 2012
I had only just recently got into Avatar (I know, I'm really late) and I've been absolutely addicted to it. I was left feeling some what empty after I finished the series and I have been keeping up to date with Legend of Korra but it's just not the same. I decided to purchase this book as I heard it was a bridge between the two series. I have to say I absolutely enjoyed it because all the characters were as lively as ever that I could imagine how they sounded in my head. I managed to get my boyfriend to start watching the series too and he read all of this in less than an hour. He said he wished this was made into an episode.

I've taken a star off because I was disappointed at how short this was for the price. I'm suppose to pay £6-7 for each part that I could read in half an hour. I know this is fully coloured as opposed to black and white manga but I feel that the content didn't warrant the price. However, I'm still a sucker and I'll be eagerly awaiting the next instalment since it does take roughly 6 months for each part to be released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really worth the money, 19 May 2014
great read excellent graphics wish I'd known about it sooner . I'm not even bothered that I had to buy

4.0 out of 5 stars After the war ends, 22 Feb 2014
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
"Avatar: The Last Airbender" ended with peace being reestablished between the four elemental nations -- but there were still some dangling threads. "The Promise Part 1 (Avatar: The Last Airbender Book Four)" picks up where the series left off, and addresses the problems of restoring the Fire Nation to how it should be -- especially when not everyone agrees what that is.

Now that there is peace between the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom, Zuko implements the "Harmony Restoration Movement" (named by Sokka) -- the Fire Nation will relocate colonists who have been living in the Earth kingdom for the past century. And while everyone is celebrating, Zuko also extracts a promise from Aang: if he ever becomes like his father, he wants Aang to kill him.

But after an assassination attempt, Zuko unexpectedly withdraws the Harmony Restoration Movement. It turns out to be a little more complicated than Zuko expected -- the Fire Nation citizens there have intermarried with the Earth Kingdom people, and don't want to be uprooted from their homes. Now not only must Aang and Zuko deal with colonials who don't want to leave, but also with "freedom fighters" who want the Fire Nation gone.

"The Promise Part 1 (Avatar: The Last Airbender Book Four)" is a story that I would love to see translated into an animated movie -- there's a feeling of warm, comfy familiarity in seeing all our old characters reunited again. It springs pretty seamlessly from the end of the TV series, showing where the characters have gone since and the troubles of a post-war world.

The primary problem is the story is very short, so sometimes it feels like the characters are flipping between emotions too fast -- Aang literally goes from zero to Avatar State and almost kills Zuko. Too fast!

However, it's otherwise a very solid story, with fire/ice battles and some fun comic relief from Sokka (the "oogies" he gets whenever he sees Aang and Katara kissing). And it revolves around a situation with no easy answers. Aang believes that the four nations must be distinct and some Earth people are violently opposed to the Fire Nation, but Zuko doesn't want to wreck the lives of the people who have become rooted in the Earth Kingdom. There's no "win" scenario.

Despite being the Fire Lord, Zuko is still morose and introverted -- partly because of his worries about becoming like his father, and partly because of his inexperience at ruling an entire nation. He simply doesn't know what to do, and it's eating him up. For some reason he doesn't go to Iroh for advice even though the old guy has never let him down before.

We also get some developments for other characters -- Aang and Katara are enjoying their new romance, although the "sweetie" thing is a bit cloying. But they get some nice moments here (Katara commanding a guard to not set her boyfriend on fire), and Toph is a pretty hard-nosed metalbending teacher.

"The Promise Part 1 (Avatar: The Last Airbender Book Four)" ends on a slight cliffhanger, leaving us wondering what will happen next for Zuko and Aang. It's going to be a long wait for the next part.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 4 Nov 2013
I'm a huge fan of avatar the series and was really upset when it ended. When I found this series I was really pleased and have to say that this first instalment comic is really good and funny. It explains a lot. The only down side is that the comic is not as long as I would have hoped... and a little expensive for the amount there is. But if your a fan I have to say you should get it, I think it is going to be worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, very pleased, 19 Sep 2013
This was a birthday present for a 9 year old avid fan of the series. It did not disappoint. It builds on the connection between aang and Korra

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill!, 22 July 2013
Great booklet.

Daughter enjoyed from cover to cover.

She wants to read the whole series!!!

Well recommended.

Waiting for more

5.0 out of 5 stars The Promise, 24 May 2012
CGEire (Republic Of Ireland) - See all my reviews
I'm a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and I'm extremely happy with the way The Promise seems to be shaping up.
First of all, the art style is fantastic, and very true to the original series. And Second of all, the story has started off very well. Can't wait for Part Two.
A must-buy for any A: TLA fan.

Avatar: The Last  Airbender - The Promise Part 1 (Avatar: The Last Airbender Book Four)