5.0 out of 5 stars Revealed
Published 10 months ago by Shinigami Sam

3.0 out of 5 stars Huh
Published on 14 Oct 2010 by Chaletfan

3.0 out of 5 stars Huh, 14 Oct 2010
This review is from: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 Volume 7: Twilight (Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Dark Horse)) (Paperback)
Okay I'm a little baffled by this one. I'll not give the front spread away but it seems hugely disjointed from the images that closed the previous tpb. I honestly thought I'd missed a volume. I'm going to have to read it several times to make sense. And the cover gives away the whole Twilight thing just a tad so BOO ON YOU DARK HORSE. And there's a goddamn ton of exposition here which isn't easy reading on first glance.

I'm in this for the long haul cos I do love BtVS and I'll buy the next tpb. But this volume just smacks of a little too panicked 'wait, we need to make it all make sense now'. Disappointing. And somebody drew Faith with the worst outfit ever which is rubbish. Girl would never wear a top that bad.

Xander good. Willow good. And there was less Riley which was even better. Kennedy is starting to steal the show a little bit for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars truly disappointing plot and story fail great graphics, 21 Oct 2010
MINOR SPOILERS BELOW

This was a pretty poor read, only saved from a zero-star status by the presence of some strong art (Jeanty, Owens, Madsen, I love your style - even when the subject matter is idiotic) and the fact that you can't leave less than a one-star review.

Despite my misgivings, I was willing to push on and see if the plot that had begun to go badly awry in TBP 6 could be leading to something interesting and emotive, or at the very least salvage the characters and story line that years and years have gone into building up. Sadly, this was emphatically not the case. Stale writing, smug self-referentials, and a pretty stunning lack of substance and credence in the plot dragged the book down badly. This despite the much-announced arrival of Angel in Season 8, and the revelations of the real meaning of Twilight.

Even the fact that Joss Whedon wrote the intro chapter doesn't save this, and honestly I found even his contribution ('Turbulence') to be anti-climactic. The dialogue was sharper, but the focus was entirely off. If 60 pages of the TBP focus on Angel and Buffy, 40 before them focus on a completely ill-timed and irrelevant love rhombus between Dawn, Xander, Superpowers and Buffy. The relationships between characters has been a great source of interest, humour and pathos in the comic series... but when more pages, words and effort are devoted to dealing with a jarring romance subplot than to finding a suitably clever or heroic defeat for the three giant monster goddesses that just killed hundreds of people... the flow of the story just falls apart.

Speaking of the flow of the story, the exposition-heavy nature of the story's main dramatic scenes was badly handled indeed. Most tellingly, in the long-term: the stuff that is expounded upon has never even been mentioned by anyone or anything in any of the comics before now, mythology-wise I'm afraid the whole thing comes across as ridiculous even when the writer clumsily tries to use Giles's Watcher status to ret-con it all into the arc and the backstory of the entire Slayer legacy. But also, in the short-term: everybody spontaneously gets their powers back/gets to be invulnerable/gets healed/gets ignored/gets left in Tibet etc - with no effort made to explore how or why this is going on, all just to set up the big finale scene.

And thanks to all of that, there wasn't a single page or even a single panel of this collection that raised a smile, gasp or laugh from me. The closest I got to believing there were actual characters and people behind the unsurprising dialogue and cliche situations involved Warren and Andrew, Xander's penultimate line, and a sliver at the end of the horribly over-extended scene with Buffy and Angel. It's not because I'm cold-hearted or anything, either. I've laughed and gasped and been saddened by many a venture over the course of Season 8, but not these past issues. No way.

So there's no way I'll be buying the TBP 8 of Season 8 unless somebody convinces me that a grown-up has control of the plot, no matter who is putting their graphic art skills to it.

2.0 out of 5 stars A shocker, 16 Oct 2010
Christian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
What on earth? The series has been getting bigger and grander in scale and now takes a turn which really pushes credibility to beyond its logical conclusion.

True the unmasking of Twilight was signposted in the choice of words of the character, however the exposition that results just makes less sense. For all of the increasing in powers that Buffy has some of the actions of the key characters seems so far out of character.

Which all leaves with a really disatisfied feeling. Logically the series should have an ending which reveals a greater power behind this, however I sense that Series 8 now has proven that the show ended when it should have done. Really disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 24 Oct 2010
I love Buffy and I'm a completist so I'll be buying the final book in season 8 anyway, but this - the penultimate book - was just plain awful. A massive disappointment in terms of revelations and explanations, a lot of fake, gimmicky dialogue and that old cliché of just bringing back old characters to cover up the deficiencies in plot reared its ugly head way too many times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Twilight unmasked! Buffy undressed!, 12 May 2014
No More Mr. Mice Guy (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The stories running through Dark Horse Comics’ Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 issues #31-35 are collected, along with the Willow one-shot ‘Goddesses and Monsters’, as Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 Volume 7: Twilight (Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Dark Horse)).

This volume has the usual excellent scripting and artwork that this series has enjoyed. However… Buffy has acquired superpowers – and the opening panel to issue #32 just shows a pair of hands loading a revolver and a voice from off-panel saying “This is stupid.” I laughed out loud at it. The powers come in handy for disposing of the rampaging goddesses from the previous volume, but it does take us out of the Buffyverse proper, and Joss Whedon even apologises for it at the end of the next volume – though it did get him a job directing that superhero film, so we can’t complain too much. Also, Twilight is unmasked, and he and Buffy consummate the Universe’s long running plan to usher in the next step in evolution, and other big stuff like that. However… to do so will require the abandonment of her friends and family. I use the word ‘consummate’ in its literal sense, as there is a lot of n*k*d s*x involving Buffy, Twilight, and conveniently placed scenery. The scenery doesn’t take part, you understand, it is just there for suggestive purposes.

So, depending on your flexibility on what is and isn’t allowed in the Buffyverse, this could be a very entertaining climax to the Twilight storyline, or the violation of everything that you hold dear about this particular comic-book franchise. I found it highly entertaining, if a bit silly in places (and not the geeking out over superpowers either, just some of the philosophy behind stuff – but I felt the same about a lot of the Angel TV series, and that didn’t stop me from just enjoying the story).

Oh, and while it is a climax to the twilight storyline, there is still another major threat unleashed as a result of it, that requires an even bigger finale to the season in the next volume.

The Willow one-shot ‘Goddesses and Monsters’ is an entertaining story that gives us a look into what Willow got up to before the beginning of season eight, as she goes on her quest to discover her magical abilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revealed, 8 Oct 2013
One of the better GN of season 8. We find out more about twilight and where this season has been going. Takes an interesting direction & uses comic medium to its full. There is no way this could have worked on tv, the world was changed after s7 and its an interesting that they used a comic to bring Buffy back and explore this, instead of making it just a tv show in comic form as it where. Looking forward to the finale!

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 1 Jan 2013
Nice continuation of the tv series, and great illustration, but I am a bit disappointed with the story. It's a bit difficult to read at times, but otherwise ok.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Joss Whedon :(, 11 Sep 2011
I'm not one to normally write a review, but I was so very disappointing by this volume I thought it might just be necessary. I am a huge Buffy fan and initially thought the comic series was a great addition. The first four/five volumes were page turners and I was impressed how true to the show's style they seemed to be (if not a bit season four-ish at times).

MINOR SPOILER ALERT

However ... This volume (and to a certain extent, volume 6) literally destroyed the Buffy 'world' for me. First off, it didn't even make sense, it felt like they desperately needed the story to culminate, so they shoddily pieced together this volume, the 'answers' to the happenings within the story are amazingly weak and not at all like the intelligent writing seen in the prior volumes nor the show, for instance the identity of twilight and the explanation behind it. Aside from this massive oversight, my main critique is that it seems to loose its legitimacy. Buffy becomes this stereotypical superhero, that is so far removed from the cover art. Buffy flying - I could forgive. Buffy screwing her was through space and time - I can not.

If that wasn't enough there are also minor niggles I have with the character's relationships, that I can't help but feel wouldn't have work in the show - namely the relationship we discover Xander's in.

Having read 7, I will have to buy and read the final 8th, but unfortunately i'm not holding out much hope. Which is a really shame, especially as the series started out so promising. I might just have to pretend they didn't happen ... especially considering how this volume ended ... was that a space ship? I mean really! (although I'm wasn't a 100% sure it was), all in all, after finishing it all I could think was; 'Oh no Joss Whedon!'

1.0 out of 5 stars Hideous penultimate volume, 9 May 2011
Mr. N. Shaikh - See all my reviews
I've really enjoyed Season 8. What a shame that it has turned into this mess.

In the previous volume, Buffy led her friends and the Slayer army into a disaster. Many of the slayers are dead or without their enhanced abilities. Buffy on the other hand has never been stronger - to the extent of being Superwoman.

In the middle of this she is confronted by Twilight himself, who is now prepared to reveal exactly who he is and why he has been doing what he's doing.

Unfortunately the identity of who the Big Bad actually was - a key plot point for this season - was stupidly revealed by both the original comic and this collection. So there you go, Twilight Ruined. It doesn't even make sense, and a whole host of mumbo jumbo mixed with ridiculous superpowered sex scenes made me cringe; idiotic quipping at inappropriate moments made me cringe even further.

One more volume to go - I don't see how season 8 can be rescued, sadly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Baffling at times..., 25 Dec 2010
This book contains the 4 parter arc 'Twilight' and the Willow one-shot 'Goddesses and Monsters'.

'Twilight' picks up where Retreat left off; Buffy suddenly has superpowers, as in flight, super speed, stronger than ever, Superman kind of power. Lives have been lost and the enemy is approaching, Twilight steps forward to reveal his identity, whilst the balance of the Universe starts to show serious consequences for the actions Buffy did at the end of season 7...

I'll first cover the good; Xander's and Buffy's conversation over Dawn is sweet and very Joss Whedon, you can see his sense of humour with a strong sense of humanity shine here. Also the panels where Xander tries to uncover all of Buffy's new powers is fun, his geekier side (which we've haven't really seen in a good while) gives us a humourous reminder of how silly this is all getting and the old Xander we know and love. The script is great in places when it makes nice references to previous episodes ("Ben is Glory?") and pop culture (Captain America anyone?) Plus the art is nice as ever, with the cover for the individual volumes gorgeous (a given I know but still).

The bad however is what most people are bringing up and marking the volume down for. Yes the cover does give it away, despite the fact that Twilight's identity was leaked a good while back, but it would've been nice to still have some sense of mystery. Next is the exposition heavy dialogue; a lot of ground is covered here and is a lot to take in; particularly as it mostly takes place in-between sexual content (more on than in a bit). If you think about it, it does make sense as Buffy giving all potentials slayer powers have tipped the balance of power considerably, and consequences are expected. But still it doesn't excuse that a lot is thrown at you at once and a most of it relies of a big 'legend' from a long time ago that one of the main characters knew about all along yet failed to make ANY mention or hint of it during the entire canon of Buffy or Angel! It's a lot to chew and we're expected to be very lenient, something I think a fair amount of Buffy fans are running out on over the course of this comic book series.

And now the sexual content; I'm no prude but a lot of the scenes either made me cringe or laugh out loud. Considering that in Buffy the hottest we ever got was when Buffy was with Spike, and even then we mostly got collapsing buildings and curves of Sarah's body. Here, however, we start with major close ups before seeing the full outline of Boy A and Girl B getting it on across the universe. Flying over mountains whilst moaning with pleasure...in other stories such as True Blood we wouldn't batter an eyelid, but within Buffy it is a big smack in the face and a bit too graphic, seriously it's not the kind of comic you would want to read on the bus where other human beings can see. Also there's about half a dozen swear words tossed in for good measure...great...

'Goddesses and Monsters' is a quick read that takes place before season 8 happens; we look at Willow's magical journey to control her powers and her first meeting with the serpent demon, Saga Vasuki. Karl Moline returns for the art which I was glad to see as her style grew on me during 'Time of Your Life', plus her designs for the various Goddesses are cool too. We don't really learn much for this one shot although we do get nice hints of Willow's future, that's she's due to become something greater than she is now, hinting towards the Dark Willow character I'm a fan of.

'Twilight' is a big push on the plot front, as well as pushing the barriers of reality and expectations we've come to have of our favourite Slayer. This volume is not for the faint hearted, there are nice scenes here and there, and I'm hoping it'll all come together in the end, but right now I'm still baffled by the content...read at your own risk.