on 3 January 2011
I really enjoyed this, as a huge fan of the original movie I have found the whole series has been badly bogged down through the years in this "Colonial Marine" setting...most of the Perry written novels in the Earth Hive era despite being very good stories..inaginative and original the whole writing style of the writers I found a touch cheesy. Rather than just the dialogue of the marines even the actual writing of the story seemed to be written by a marine..in the language he would usually talk in, I hated this style.

This book however is a total breath of fresh air..I found the writing style brilliant, it was the reason I consumed this book faster than any of the other Aliens books Ive read, The stories and characters are excellent and although they may lean a little on charachters from previous books or movies are sufficiently different enough. Just one thing that nagged me...I personally found too much effort in the explanations of the gore...its really not neccesary and at times is just cheap and stands out from the grounded plausible storytelling hurting it a little in my opinion...you will know the parts I mean when you read them..but essentially Shirley has written such a gripping story that the level of the gore is uneccesary.

If you like the franchise, and are looking for a saga save after the woeful Alien Ressurection and AvPs..this will fill your stomach and some of the void until the Ridley Scott movie starts to begin its hype train journey.
on 28 March 2010
Having read many of the Alien series it was a great change to read this "prequel". The book is based on the first ever human-alien meeting when space travel is new, "the company" has yet to come into existence and "Ripley" is many generations away.
The language is detailed without being clinical and the author goes a long way to answer several unanswered questions giving interesting views on the growth speed of Aliens and space travel.
There is such a great sense of realism to the novel with next-gen Nasa racing against the Chinese in space, that the plot really sucked me in!
I agree with other reviews that if it's action you want, titles such as Earth Hive will be much better for you, but if your open minded to the author's theories and opinions and like a slower pace sci-fi/movie book, this is money well spent.
on 15 August 2010
I'm no book reader , I get bored after a bit and go for weeks, or months without picking it back up again , by which time most of the plot has been forgotten . I'm a much rather wait for the video type bloke .I love the alien franchise , and thought i'd need a book to read on my honeymoon . So i plumped for this one , fully expecting to get part way through and give up , like usual . I had finished it after 5 days . This for me is unheard of , i could not put it down , i think its an excellent read , if you like the alien genre . It reminded me very much of the alien film , just as scary and jumpy , the characters were very well described and you quickly identified with them .It gets really gorey in places too . The end is a bit less good than the rest hence the four stars , but on the whole its a brilliant read , even for someone who gets bored or looses intrest like me .
on 12 November 2009
Very nice piece of Aliens fiction. The people in this books always seems to be on the defensive in regards to the aliens. Kind of like the 1st movie "Alien". I liked that alot. The only reason this books doesn't get a five star rating is because of the last part of the book which go a bit "over the top". No spoilers.
on 17 June 2008
good characters

good descriptive language

lots of imagination

some of the thought narration and dialouge is bad ( But hey, goes with the territory)
on 28 May 2009
I am a major fan of all Alien merchandise. This book is an excellent read and details an encounter with the Xenomorphbefore that of the first Alien film. The only thing that let this book down was that it could have had a little more action in it. Apart from tat, I'm glad I have this book!
on 13 November 2010
as good a book as you'll get in the series.imagination and terror.wouldnt be a bad idea to base a film on.great read.read it in one go.
on 29 May 2014
Enjoyed this but could we have more books about colonial marines please, good story, just adds to the alien universe
on 21 January 2015
very good quality. it arrived on time. no problems. great value for money! highly recommend it.
on 14 February 2012
Eagerly I opened this book and begun reading this instalment in the Aliens universe.
The plot begins with the discovery of an artefact orbiting a moon of Saturn, upon which a group of human explorers find a long dead race of intelligent E.T.'s and the reason they met there demise over a millennia before.

There is the usual military theme using rifles and flamethrowers to battle the usual alien infestation with nothing truly original. Characters are flat with nothing to offer in the way of an emotional attachment to the reader. If this book was any longer I almost certainly would have got bored and never reached the end. However if your just looking to pass a few hours it will suffice.

To sum up, Steel Egg was absolutely average.