4.0 out of 5 stars I just got this
I just got this today. I havent finished it yet but I'm already captivated. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest. I really hope the ending wont be a let down.
Published on 18 Dec. 2012 by Gemma

1.0 out of 5 stars Predator fans, avoid this book.
The Predator movies, comics and books have, over the course of nearly 20 years, established a unique and much-loved race of monsters. Sadly, that backstory is completely ignored by this book.

Published on 17 Jun. 2006 by reed264

1.0 out of 5 stars Predator fans, avoid this book., 17 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Predator: Forever Midnight (Mass Market Paperback)

I'm not familiar with John Shirley's own books. Here, Shirley writes a decent 1950s/60s pulp SF story, with very heavy nods to Larry Niven's Kzinti stories. If it were a standalone novel, with its own aliens, it would merit 2 stars - a mediocre time-filler but certainly not great.

The problem is that he's working with a very well-established setting, which he completely ignores. If you're expecting the lethal, quasi-mystical warriors of the movies, forget it; the aliens in this book are stupid, fawning, temperamental creatures, who are wiped out in droves by human tricks. This seriously damages any sense of menace that might otherwise have been generated. Shirley has basically used the Predator logo to get readers to buy the book, then ignored the very things that created the fanbase in the first place.

In summary, if you're a fan of John Shirley this is an OK read. If you're a fan of the Predator series, AVOID.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book I have ever read!, 22 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Predator: Forever Midnight (Mass Market Paperback)
I pre-ordered this book about 4 months before it was published and I couldn't wait to get hold of it. The first few pages were very hopeful. I was almost trembling when I read them. Unfortunately it quickly degenerated into the most ill-thought out nonsense I've ever read. As a comedy, it could almost work, but as a tie in to my favoutire movie franchise I couldn't help but feel insulted, particularly as it's author professes to be a fan.

Highlights include the predators trying to gun down unarmed women and children; using mind control devices to turn humans into hunting dogs and later to turn them into radio-controlled toys for predator kids; predators spouting such compliments to each other as 'may a cool breeze blow across your reproductive organs, oh Devastator of Destinies'; two predators getting stoned aboard ship while their mind-controlled human pet plots to blow them up; and so many other insults to the franchise that I've thankfully forgotten half of them.

Please, I implore you; if you are a fan of the franchise, or even if you have an iota of respect for it, DO NOT READ THIS BOOK!

1.0 out of 5 stars Predator: Forget Everything, 24 Jun. 2006
K. Lanchester (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Predator: Forever Midnight (Mass Market Paperback)
I have been a fan of everything aliens vs predator for over 10 years now. After the disapointing AvP film I felt I really needed something to rekindle my interests. So I bought this and Aliens: DNA War. Let me say now, I hate this book. The author seems like the most ignorant person on Earth. There is an awful lot of canon in the AvP universe, but he seems to ignore it, re-defining the predators as how he sees fit. For example in the first predator film and most of the books, predators won't attack the unarmed. Here? Fair game, slaughter anything.

The writing style seems childish, as if the writer just found a thesaurus and went crazy with the big words when describing something. The characters are extremely weakly defined, you feel nothing for them and their actions are completly random.

Do yourself a favour, get one of the older AvP books, Predator: Concrete Jungle is one of the best. Just don't get this.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd wouldn't pick it up even to throw it away., 26 Sept. 2009
Mr. Paul Potter (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Predator: Forever Midnight (Mass Market Paperback)
I was so exstatic to find a new Predator novel on the book shelves, and being a die-hard Predator fan bought it without question. I can honestly say I have never given up on a book, but this really begged me to throw it away.
The writer forgets or just ignores all of the Predator mythology that has come before. Renaming the species, making them brawling barbarians who enslave, and whilst pits them against interesting species which could of made something out of a disaster... It all comes back to HISH! They are not Hish, they are Yautja, they may be barbaric but they have a code of conduct, and a brain. If I could bring myself to pick it up again it would be to throw it away, instead it gathers dust on my shelf.
I wouldn't advise Predator fans to read it no matter how bad your hunger for Predator material. It will anger and infuriate you. And those new to predator lore, I still wouldn't recommend it. Its an insult to the species.

3.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative sometimes, but mostly cliches and routine, 11 July 2012
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Predator: Forever Midnight (Mass Market Paperback)
Whoa! There are a lot of 'worst book ever' reviews for this pulp novel.

The Predator books have always (and still) stuck to the same old formula of being introduced to a big bunch of characters and having them killed one by one in gruesome ways. It's not particularly interesting to read it desperately needs a new spin to keep in interesting, or at least bearable.

John Shirley fails to make Forever Midnight fresh and exciting but at least gives us enough imagination to keep us going until the finish.

The distant jungle planet of Midnight is surrounded by suns that keep it daytime forever (so why is it called 'Midnight', surely 'Midday' would make more sense) and is home to colonists from Earth. One group of them scientists, the other the offspring of Predator prey-to-be from centuries ago.

When the Predators attack a spaceship, it crash-lands on Midnight and the crew must fight there way to safety through 3000 miles of jungle with the help of a colonist girl and a lizard-man called Rattle.

There's no great art to this book and nothing much outside of stalk 'n' slash, so if you have some time to kill and you need a pulp fix or if you are Predator fan then give it a go. But I should warn you that Shirley is completely disrespectful to the long-establish Predator mythology to the point where this shouldn't even be considered canon.

4.0 out of 5 stars I just got this, 18 Dec. 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars predator forever midnight, 19 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Predator: Forever Midnight (Mass Market Paperback)
Even though i had read reviews on this book,i thought i would give it a chance.
Absolute rubbish.The writer has an amazing imagination but has gone to far with this story.I am struggling to finish this book, and i dont know if i ever will.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book ever, 24 May 2007
Andrew Ohare - See all my reviews
This review is from: Predator: Forever Midnight (Mass Market Paperback)
Do not buy this book, im still struggling to finsh it.

It feels like there is no relation to the predators at all.The characters just dont grip you and you dont feel any emotion towrds them

The Concrete Jungle series were the best. Avoid!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 4 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Predator: Forever Midnight (Mass Market Paperback)
OK but others in series better

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Predator: Forever Midnight (Mass Market Paperback)
Love the Predator franchise.

Predator: Forever Midnight
Predator: Forever Midnight by John Shirley (Mass Market Paperback - 23 May 2006)