5.0 out of 5 stars Review 1
This product arrived here on time, was as described and has been good to read about the continuing fight against the Aliens! :)
Published on 15 April 2012 by DaveyRavey

1.0 out of 5 stars Hammering a nail in the coffin-lid of a great franchise
Firstly,

I've just finished this book 5 minutes ago; it's late at night, yet I am so incensed at the horrific writing that I feel I must comment. If this review prevents JUST ONE more aliens fan from buying this book then I'll be happy.

Published on 20 Nov. 2006 by Mr. M. D. Anderton

1.0 out of 5 stars Hammering a nail in the coffin-lid of a great franchise, 20 Nov. 2006
Mr. M. D. Anderton (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Firstly,

The author has clearly not watched an aliens film, as this book tarnishes the aliens franchise on several levels. Other reviewers on amazon.com have gone into depth about the author's use of a first-person perspective, which is limiting, lazy, and makes it read like a high school level story. I won't dwell on that too much.

What did make my blood boil is that this woman has taken a horrifying creature that stalks people through darkened corridors and relies on stealth and efficient biomechanical biology, and turned it into a comical species that for some reason rolls around forests like a wagon wheel. When opposing factions of aliens fight each other they repeatedly transform into `battleballs' (a term that she repeatedly uses) which then roll around fields like Andy Capp and his wife with her rolling pin, with clouds of cartoon dust flying around them. Terrible.

The facehuggers in this book have decided that they should all leave the safety of their eggs and gather together in their hundreds and rampage around fields and forests in a herd, and in the latter parts of the book, inflate themselves like balloons and fly off in a flock. Shocking. If my girlfriend hadn't been sleeping next to me I would have roared and thrown the book across the room.

Any people who consider themselves a fan of the alien franchise would be well advised to steer clear of this book, as it will anger you as it did me. It shows a complete lack of even cursory respect for the original intellectual property or even more recent source material. If, however, you like battleballs, flying facehuggers, rolling aliens, predictable plot devices, and complete lack of literary skill then this book comes highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ahhhhhh, flying swarms of face-huggers !! Yeah, right !, 20 Jan. 2010
Mr. R. Coleman (Marlow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aliens: DNA War (Aliens (Dark Horse)) (Paperback)
Firstly I have to say that I invested my money in this book after reading Carey's quite enjoyable Aliens novel Cauldron, so therefore set about reading this with some relish to get my Aliens fixation sated. And I can honestly say that for the first 100 or 120 pages of this story I felt that once again Carey was beginning to set up quite a good tale with a few interesting characters, even if it was written in the horrible first person narration - which I hate as 99.9% of the time our hero will probably live and save the day at the end of the book ! Missing personnel, strange deaths and strained family relationships moving it along quite nicely.

HOWEVER, then the author starts to completely change what we all feel we know - and love - about our cute little Alien adversaries and many people reading the book may well feel that Carey is tarnishing the Alien name with the liberties she is taking - especially with the evolvement of the Alien species - and this in my own humble opinion starts to reduce the enjoyment of the story.

Please don't get me wrong, the novel is still quite enjoyable, but I feel for anything an author creates or does should really have some kind of explanation. I am not sure that I could take the idea of roving masses of face huggers, that evolve into flying beast and then swarm into the sky - surely the beautiful vista mentioned in this book would have been swarmed with Aliens if that were the case. The whole idea of the Aliens changing their pattern of behaviour and stop attacking humans and defend them against face-huggers, whilst simultaneously allowing themselves to be smacked in the head ! There is also a huge battle at the climax of this book concerning rival Alien swarms, but the researchers watching the Aliens do not have a clue as to the differences and it is left up to the visiting medic to point it out - not very observant considering the length of time they had been on the planet. The book needed a queen or two !

Lastly, with regards to the PP robots sent to kill the planet foreign visitors - I may be wrong here, but in the movies that Aliens tend to take on some of the properties and characteristics of the host - thinking Alien 3 and AVP2 here. So surely that would mean that they take on some of the DNA of the host organism., which would therefore make them invulnerable to the PP's. Or am I missing the point.

At the end of the day, if you're like me you'll buy this book to fill the gap that is missing in your Aliens collection, but it certainly is not the best in the series, and credit to the author for trying something new - even if in my own opinion it did not work. So 3 out of 5 - actually wanted to give it 3.5 as it's not as bad as a 3 but not quite as good as a 4 !!

3.0 out of 5 stars i enjoyed this one, 22 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Aliens: DNA War (Aliens (Dark Horse)) (Paperback)
this one is good, i found it easy to read and just enough alien to keep me reading.
i enjoyed the technology of the curtain and the death scene we all have been waiting for.
good overall, but not much of this book will be remembered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review 1, 15 April 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, with some nice new concepts, 1 Nov. 2008
Leon Harris (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aliens: DNA War (Aliens (Dark Horse)) (Paperback)
I admit the book has a few odd ideas presented to us. Flying facehuggers, "rolling" aliens but none of which are too outlandish or dragged out to such a level that distracts from what is a very good story. It brings us a a few new and unexplored areas of the alien universe, The characters for the most part are believable and the story explains a couple things we may have wondered about. It also presents some new technology, that fits well within an alien story. A book that's very much about human survival, instinct and our selfishness. It's not prefect but I highly recommend this book to anyone who's not a hardcore purist and wants something meaningful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Aliens : DNA War, 24 July 2008
This review is from: Aliens: DNA War (Aliens (Dark Horse)) (Paperback)
I bought this book in thinking that it would be an interesting and worthwhile addition to my collection of Aliens and Predator comics and graphic novels but alas, from the very beginning of the book I was disappointed by the poor use of the english language and the terrible character descriptions. Why would you name a character 'Gaylord' in a serious novel about horrifying and unstoppable, carnal creatures which eat your flesh and lay eggs in your stomach.
I feel the book would best be described as a mess.

5.0 out of 5 stars everybody wants to write aliens, 21 Oct. 2010
henry radzki (HYDE, Cheshire, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aliens: DNA War (Aliens (Dark Horse)) (Paperback)
SUDDENLY EVERYONE IS WRITING ALIENS BUT DIANE CARYS ARE THE ONLY GOOD NOVELS BECAUSE NEW WRITERS DONT GET A PUBLISHER AND RUSHED TITLES ARE PUBLISHED BECAUSE DARK HORSE CAN PUBLISH WHO THEY WANT YOU CAN WRITE TO THEM BUT DONT EXPECT A REPLY I HAVE WRITTEN TWO STORIES FOR ALIENS THAT WILL NEVER BE PUBLISHED BECAUSE TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE WRITING ALIENS NOVELS IM SURE YOULL AGREE

5.0 out of 5 stars Aliens:DNA war, 20 July 2011
This review is from: Aliens: DNA War (Aliens (Dark Horse)) (Paperback)
It came quickly in the mail. It had minor damage on the back cover but still in good condition A++Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars A good addition to the series, 24 Jun. 2006
K. Lanchester (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aliens: DNA War (Aliens (Dark Horse)) (Paperback)
I've been a big reader of aliens and predators books for over 10 years now. After the disapointing Predator: Forever Midnight my confidence was shaken, but this book does not disapoint. The characters, plot and dialogue are all top notch. I would definetly recommend this book.

Aliens: DNA War (Aliens (Dark Horse))
Aliens: DNA War (Aliens (Dark Horse)) by Diane Carey (Paperback - 30 May 2006)
Used & New from: £19.38