on 5 December 2010
I was given this book as a child and now that I am a grandparent have bought it so that we can read it to our grandchildren. It deals with what are timeless elements in early childhood which would otherwise never be mentioned or ignored in the rush to the electronic distractions that have taken over 'modern' life.
This particular edition is beautifully produced and illustrated
David Allan
on 19 December 2012
This was such a constant companion in my childhood and having loved these poems by RLS I moved on to his prose works and I have to say they are now very much old friends revisited regularly. Thank goodness that Stevenson is now regathering recognition in his native City to the extent that there is an "RLS Day". The Child's Garden has a deceptively simple quality - innocence, certainly, but underlying those real virtues lies the nascent mind of a great writer and observer of life, someone who has first hand experience of sustained illness (for example) but retains wonderful optimism:
Sing a song of seasons!
Something bright in all!
Flowers in the summer,
Fires in the fall!
on 14 March 2011
This book of Child's Garden of Verse is brilliantly written and has charming coloured illustrations throughout the book making the poems attractive visually.
I bought this book as my daughter had to learn Where Go The Boats for School, and it brought back my childhood memories.

This book will defiantly be a book to treasure and will be read for many years to come, with something to delight and inspire every child. I glad we have it in our home !
on 24 July 2012
My mother used to read these poems to me, and when my granddaughter was born, I wanted her to have a decent copy of the book. This is a nice big book, large format, heavy paper, with rich colors and lovely artwork - no cheap supermarket copy here. You may find these poems a little obscure, old-fashioned, but my memories are fond, and I've been reading this to my granddaughter for a couple years. She's only 5 today and she loves it too.
on 20 April 2012
All the poems I wanted, but not the edition shown in the picture. No colour pictures, just small line drawings. Lovely line drawings but not suitable for what I wanted. Disappointed.
on 17 June 2013
Brian WIldsmith's illustrations are beautiful and a perfect accompaniment to the verses. There are few genuinely inspiring and lovely books of poetry for children with accompanying pictures. I still remember Wildsmith's beautiful world of colour form my childhood and was pleased to be able to share it with my son in this book.
on 29 December 2010
I had this book as a child, but not this edition. The poems are lovely and timeless and I love to read them to my little girl (4 and a half). She likes the pictures, but I must say the illustrations are not nearly as nice in the edition I had (couldnt find a copy of the one I had on amazon or amazon marketplace). The illustrations are line drawings, old fashioned and charming, but the book I had before had coloured drawings which spread across the whole page and gave a small child a lot to look at whilst hearing the poems.
The poems are obviously just as lovely and I would say are suitable for about 4 year olds upwards.
on 13 February 2015
This is the classic children's poetry book. There are just so many well-known poems in this book. The poems are simple enough for a four-year-old to understand. There is a poem for every season of the year and all the important events of a small child's day - winter, summer, spring, autumn bonfires, getting up, imaginative play, being sick in bed, etc. Lovely charming illustrations by Jessie Orton Jones
on 1 March 2013
This is a beautifully illustrated version of a book of poetry contaning poems I remeber from when I was a child.
on 2 April 2014
I think I may have made my remarks about this in the wrong place. This book is much loved in my family and has been for years. I gave it as a baby gift and already it is being much enjoyed by parents and grandparents. Every child have this book.