4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, and evidence based
Thoroughly impressed. It makes a nice change to see personality tests coming from an organisation with access to really significant data. I found the summary of my strengths really useful with a number of good ideas of new things I could get involved in.

Published on 18 Jan. 2010 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be better
Published on 31 Oct. 2010 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, and evidence based, 18 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Strengthsfinder 2.0: A New and Upgraded Edition of the Online Test from Gallup's Now Discover Your Strengths (Hardcover)

The book itself is really a glorified set of log in details for the website which hosts the test itself. Once you have logged on and done the test, you have access to all the information online and the book becomes somewhat redundant.

*Do not buy a second hand copy* as the chances are that the log in details won't work (having been used already).

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 31 Oct. 2010
You buy the book and get a code to access a website. On the website you can enter your code to do a 177 question 'quiz'. You are only able to do this the once and then it's fixed. This even though the book itself says 'if you take the same version of StrengthsFinder again a few months later, it is not unusual for a couple of your top five themes to change.' So, you cannot then look at how strong each of your 'themes' is and cannot see how you might change over time after trying to apply some of the suggestions offered.

The book itself does give a description of the 34 themes, but the website doesn't really offer much extra. You can look at your results (but never retake the test) and look at the 10 ideas of action (which are in the book anyway). I was hoping for a lot more to be available on the website. More ideas, more questions to ask yourself, more ways to actually *use* the ideas and suggestions given.

Strikes me that this is little more a promotional tool to then pay huge amounts of money for further consultation.

Overall, not a complete waste of time, but I'm not sure it's entirely worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little more than a code!, 13 Sept. 2009
Gavin Leonard (China) - See all my reviews
Having read some of the only a code reviews I have to disagree. I definitely feel that you need to read the book "first, break all the rules" to fully appreciate the ideas behind the test. The test itself is extremely accurate and there is a section which gives ideas on how you can become a more productive manager and to fully work on your strengths or "talents" as they like to call them. For those who feel that they haven't given enough of what to do with the information, Gallup have recently published "12: The Elements of Great Managing", this book is full of working examples of how the 12 question survey of gallups can be implemented.

In all I'd say that the book is worth it's cost (JUST ABOUT FOR THE TEST) but if you are looking for a deep insight stick with first break all the rules. If you are a person who needs step by step instruction on how to implement everything then couple it with the book 12. If you are already a capable manager... my advice: Simply do the test, read the results and then take the advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars must read if you don't know your strengths, 28 Nov. 2009
the book's value is in it's password that lets you give the personality test that the Galup's institute has developed. It tells you which are your top 5 strength areas among 37 themes. I did the test, and was more than impressed. The test was so accurate that I was puzzled. Everything was true about me, especially the first 2 areas.

I bought this book 1 year ago. This book gave me guidelines for making choices regarding my career. so if you are not sure of your best area, and what you can excel at definitely buy this book and try the test.

I am buying 2 more for 2 friends :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 25 Oct. 2011
I have just completed the online test, and initially was surprised at my top 5 strengths. However, on reading the book, I can honestly say it was incredibly accurate! A really great business tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful easy read, 23 July 2009
F. Coelho (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This has been a useful little book. It takes a positive approach on one's capacity rather than focusing on what your're lacking. That is refreshing. The online test was good although the time limit became a little irritating as I was not alone in the room and missed several questions because I was interrupted. Lock yourself away before starting the test!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Mirror, mirror on the wall....", 4 April 2007
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
You will probably find no head-snapping revelations in this book if you have already read Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman's First, Break All the Rules and/or Buckingham and Donald O. Clifton's Now, Discover Your Strengths (especially the latter). Nor does Tom Rath claim to offer any. Rather, this is a new and upgraded edition of the Gallup organization's previous online test (StrengthsFinder 1.0) that enables those who take it to identify and measure their talents relative to "more than 5,000 new personalized Strengths Insights that we have discovered in recent years."

In Rath's two previously published books, How Full Is Your Bucket? co-authored with Donald O. Clifton and Vital Friends, he shares his own reactions to an abundance of research data which reveals the importance of two separate but related forces which have profound impact on the workplace: getting strengths in alignment with work to be done and then developing them even more with strategic delegation and close supervision.

What we have in this book, Strengths Finder 2.0, is a wealth of new research material that Rath examines with exceptional precision and uncommon eloquence. I strongly encourage each reader to take full advantage of the self-diagnostic opportunities that both Rath and the Gallup organization generously offer. Of course, once various exercises are completed, a significant challenge remains: to take effective and productive action to apply what has been learned. It is helpful to be aware of what Jeffrey Pfeffer and Robert I. Sutton so aptly characterize as the "knowing-doing" and "doing-knowing" gaps. It is also helpful to recall Peter Drucker's observation more than 40 years ago: "There is surely nothing quite so useless as doing with great efficiency what should not be done at all."

Presumably Rath agrees that, more often than not, the Yoda is right: "Do or do not. There is no try."

3.0 out of 5 stars Intersting insight with limitations, 28 Aug. 2013
This product consists of a book with some background information and descriptions of all the various strengths, as well as a unique link to a website where you take a 'test' of about 100 paired statements. You then get a personalised report of the results and how you might look to use them. The test involves strongly agreeing or disagreeing with two statements on each end of a scale where you rate whether you lean more towards one statement than the other. I found it very difficult to answer some of the questions as occasionally I agreed completely (or disagreed completely) with both statements though had to 'sit on the fence' in order to feel equally about each which I think must have affected the results.

Like all these things (Myers Briggs, Insights etc) there are always limitations due to the way you take the test, interpret the results and so on. The test tells you your top 5 strengths but it's easy to interpret this wrongly by assuming that you don't have certain other strengths which some people could find misleading. What's also missing is some guidance on what actually to do with the results particularly if you want to use it for working in teams or in collaboration with others in the work place. I spent some considerable time trying to work out what conclusions I could draw from this and designing a follow up session to try and make something out of my team's combined results, but still am not convinced I've really achieved that. All that said, the test is quite enjoyable (even if I didn't understand some of the 'Americanisms' used in some of the wording) and I suppose is a good tool for companies to reassure staff that they actually are interested in developing them. Very importantly, you must buy the book new otherwise you will not get your unique code to get onto the website and take the test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great interview preparation material!, 24 Nov. 2012
I got this book as a present from a good friend in a transitional period in my life. I had considered books like this before but this was the first one i used properly.

If you try to do the test quickly and without thinking (so as to avoid conscious bias from blurring in,)your intuitive responses will be quite a challenge because it asks you to choose between 2 things u like but uve never compared or two things which seem quite unrelated at first.

The results were surprisingly good! I do identify with all 5 suggested strengths. If you have been honest with yourself before the results shouldn't really come as a shock. What i found particularly helpful was that when i read the descriptions of the strengths I realized that I agree 100%with everything said but i had never been able to express it so accurately and with so few words. Why is this important? - INTERVIEWS! This book helped me a lot to be able to talk about myself in an interview context and improved the way I present myself. I found it very appropriate for the initial stages of a job change/ job search situation.

4.0 out of 5 stars the one book that really resonated, 13 Feb. 2013
I was first introduced to the Strengthsfinder by a former company - as a result of that, I realised why I was unhappy in the role, I wasn't using any of my strengths.... I was in the wrong job! I've subsequently used the Strengthsfinder with other teams I have managed, and have found it incredibly helpful to understand styles and strengths, especially ones that perhaps the current job doesn't allow them to demonstrate. You only need to read the first 30 pages before you use the online tool - the refest of the book provides more context after the online tool is completed. Its the one "profiling" tool that I've found really connects the dots for me, and identified and categorised strengths and interests in a simple way. The online tool is easy to use, and can be re-done years later when perhaps you are at a different stage of career. The one feature missing from this book that I had in a previous version, is how to manage people with the strengths identified - I believe this might be available in another volume by this author. Highly recommended.