Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop now

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 14 October 2009
Beck is not thrilled to be taking this survival weekend with her husband Reed. She isn't a big fan of the outdoors, but Reed thinks a wild camping adventure is just the thing to cure her of her nervous stutter. During their first night of camping, a horrifying wail pierced the night. Then something emerges in the darkness and chases them through the forest. The last thing Reed sees is a huge, hairy creature carrying his wife away into the night.

The next morning, a rescue party sets out to track the footprints and a hunting party sets out to bag a huge bear. Reed knows it wasn't a bear. When a few more mysterious murders pop up, Reed calls a close friend to investigate. No one believes that a big foot monster carried off his wife, but Reed knows what he saw. And the more they discover, the more his theory is supported. But there may be another creature out there who has begun to hunt them.

I LOVED this book! It was such a great premise and handled so well. I loved how Peretti showed Beck's point of view with her "captor." I loved seeing her character grow and change just to survive. And then there was the whole mystery to figure out and the awesome nod to God's amazing ability to create unique species. This is a great read. It's creepy and scary, so if you don't like that, steer clear. Otherwise, you must read Monster. It rocks!
on 3 September 2010
I was suggested Frank Peretti by a minister at church when I said I had enjoyed The Shack (Wm. Paul Young, a fantastic read). I'm not sure this is a typical Peretti book from what I have heard, but I will definitely be reading more (bought the Peretti Three-Pack on here by the time I was a third of the way through this book).
As a thriller it is unbelievable - the pace is fast, the characters interesting and the plot believable. Recommended for anyone who likes thrillers, especially of the science variety (say Michael Crichton fans). Note that it doesn't get bogged down in details though there is enough to keep it credible.
If you are looking for Christian fiction however, the most I can really say is that it is subtle (so don't be put off at all if you are not a Christian). By page 70 I think there had been two very brief references. There is a little more towards the end, but still no more than a character wondering how God can do this to them, or another character praying (again briefly). At the same time, it is not incompatable with Christian thinking and can be quite thought provoking, say on evolution/science, evil and God's will. And while there is no sex or superfluous swearing, Peretti doesn't hold back on the gore, or indeed, the thrills in general.
on 1 August 2005
It's been a while since I last read a book by Frank Peretti but this was certainly well up to his usual standard. It was bought for this summer's holiday read but I couldn't resist making a start as soon as it arrived...big mistake. I'm not one that can normally read in long sessions but I ended up virtually finishing before the holiday even started.
It has a unique (in my experience anyway) approach between chapters of re-presenting the same map but with small icon's and text positioning the key developments in the story so far with new items added for each chapter. This helps you orientate yourself in all the action (but you have to resist the obvious temptation to look ahead at later maps - although it is sufficiently vague so as to not spoil too many events if you haven't read the chapter).
The story itself is very fast-moving and not at all what I expected (which I must admit was something similar to Oath) - it is completely different and takes many twists and turns along the way.
He manages to get religious references in without it being so overtly religious in theme such as the 'Darkness' series - an ideal gift for a non-Christian who likes a good yarn.
This is destined to join the list of his classics and poses a number of morale questions - but you'll just have to find out for yourself.
on 1 June 2006
Having only read one other book by Frank Peretti, I did not know what to expect out of Monster. Needless to say, Peretti did not let you down.

This book is a page turner and once you start it, you will not want to put it down. I started it at the end of my spring break and wished that I had more time to finish it!

When you begin to read this, you feel the fear that Reed and Becca are feeling. The ghostly cry that comes over the trees chills you. Then, slowly you begin to discover more about the deep, dark secret that characters are hiding and you begin to feel compassion for "the monster". As a review said: This monster is VERY real!
on 17 January 2006
After a break, the expectation of a new novel from Frank Peretti was high and the high profile advertising attached to Monster promised much. But, in the end, I felt it was overlong, rather uninspiring and predictable. Characters are "killed" and yet you know they aren't, God gets an occasional but very wimpish look-in and at the end of it all, I felt distinctly unsatisfied by the happy ending which was signposted throughout the book. A shame, as Peretti's books were influential on many people in the 80's - but this will not do the same in the 00's.
on 7 June 2010
Not the same ilk as his others and has too many similarities to the Oath, but still a good read
on 16 October 2009
Product was as good as new. Delivery was on time...Overall it was a fantastic purchase.

A thrilling and interesting story perfectly written by Frank Peretti. It will keep you on your toes and you will be so intrigued by the book. I highly recommend as a good book to read