5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and thought provoking
This is a superb and thought provoking book. There is so much in it. It does exactly what the title says. I recommend this book if you are interested in writing, creativity and the way in which the mind works. I found it utterly compelling.
Published on 21 Oct 2009 by Ms. Ruth Pickvance

3.0 out of 5 stars Thz sub-title says it all "the writer as a cartographer"
Published on 30 Dec 2006 by Bernard Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Thz sub-title says it all "the writer as a cartographer", 30 Dec 2006
Bernard Smith (Somewhere, Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maps of the Imagination (Hardcover)
This is something of an odd book, in that it tries to use the metaphor of the map as a way to present the writer as an explorer and presenter. The book has the sub-title "the writer as a cartographer" and its 240 pages are divided into chapters on such things as "projections and conventions", "theater of the world", and "a rigorous geometry". To be honest I was disappointed with my initial reading. The book in itself was interesting but it was not what I expected. Firstly I expected that the metaphor of the map would by fully exploited, at least in the visual sense. I also expected the author to focus more explicitly in his text on the actual process of mapping the creative thought processes of authors and writers. However it is true that Peter Turchi did highlight concepts such as purposeful omission, compression, perspective, orientation, emphasis, illusion, etc., as being fundamental both to map making and to writing. So my first reading was from the perspective of a cartographer as a writer (and I KNOW the sub-title is exactly the opposite). Let me now turn to my second reading, approached now the book as it should be approached - a storyteller as a "cartographer" of ideas. On this basis I found the book far more interesting, and the use of the map metaphor potentially quite risqué. It would however have been nice if some space had been given to the technical/scientific author, but nevertheless Turchi did give me some ideas about how a creative writer might try to "map out" his ideas and create a structure to allow the reader to explore a story. Unfortunately he did not introduce the ideas of interactive or non-linear narrative, or games as stories (or stories that are games without endings), where I think the map metaphor would have really come in to its own. So I felt that the content of this book was reasonably insightful, and it has inspired me to read more about how to take a systematic or more structured view to writing. A word of advice to any prospective purchaser - understand what is really being offered with this book, what its real purpose is, and only then make your mind up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and thought provoking, 21 Oct 2009
Ms. Ruth Pickvance (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maps of the Imagination (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars A wide landscape of snow..., 24 Aug 2013
I must say I bought this book for the imagery, but when I really got my teeth into it (chapter 2), I literally couldn't put it down. It's been a while since I was this taken with a book, particularly non-fiction.

Turchi is so insightful - I found many parallels with methods of art criticism as well as literature, and it's fascinating to see links between the two. The layout is wonderful, Turchi makes excellent use of footnotes, chapter divides and metaphors relating to other author's work, which are examined delicately and humbly. To see an author reference other authors you like is great - particularly Italo Calvino.

The highlight is chapter 2 - a wide landscape of snows, exploring the metaphorcal and literal blank as a narrative tool. Turchi writes thought-provokingly about omission, and especially about how the reader maps their own story, extending what the author has told them into a wider space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting and insightful take on how we create fictive ..., 15 Oct 2014
Really interesting and insightful take on how we create fictive worlds - does what it says on the cover - analyses the writer as cartographer. Oh, and well written too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint-hearted, 9 Feb 2010
C. McCullagh (UK) - See all my reviews
It is an interesting read for the writer and potential writer. Without being too scholarly, it explorers the writer's craft and enlightens the reader.

Maps of the Imagination
Maps of the Imagination by Peter Turchi (Hardcover - 21 Sep 2004)
Used & New from: £19.52