on 18 February 2014
Omg if that's how the third book ends what the heck happens for the rest of the series. Spoiler alert, so shadow kiss carries on from where frostbite leaves us, having survived the stigoi capture rose Christian lissa and Eddie are back at the acaemdy continuing on with there training to become guardians. Although they are all somewhat changed from the events at the end of the last book. Rose feels she is responsible for masons death and starts to see his ghost, which than allows her to explore more of her bound with lissa and what exactly being shadow kissed means. Her sizzling romance with the very lush Dimitri also carries on and they finally give into there feelings for each other and makes plans for the future. At which point you kinda guess that something is just around the corner to tear their love apart, but I never imagined it being quite so harsh sob sob. Things come to a head when the acaemdy is attacked by the stigoi and moroi prisoners are taken forcing our heroes to go and rescue them from the caves....however not everyone comes back. Forcing rose to make a choice between two main characters who she loves very much. This third installment was amazing the characters grow and develop and deal with the tradigies and losses they have faced. The mythology is also given more detail as we learn more about the bound between lissa and rose and what exactly it means to be shadow kissed. Events have a naturally progression as relationships go up a step and the danger and world of the vampires becomes bigger. For me the biggest moment has to be the end I felt so much for rose and her decision to go after Dimitri and having to leave everything behind. It's like that moment in harry potter where harry goes off on his own to defeat voldermort and you just know that Ron and Hermione are so going to go with him and you are so happy the band of heroes haven't been split up, instead it's emotional parting for lissa and rose. As a reader for the next book we are no longer restricted to just the grounds of the acaemdy instead rose is on her own in the big world hunting down her soul mate and one true love hoping to bring him back to the world of the living or save his soul with death. All in all this is amazing and with a cliff hanger like that you will most probably be straight onto the next book....I know as was
on 23 June 2014
I don't think there is much for me to say.
This series just keeps getting better and better. Seriously.
Shadow Kiss was probably the best book in the series so far, and the only book in the series so far that actually made me cry. If the ending hadn't been spoiled by a review, I probably would've died crying.

The last chapter was the worst, though. It's like "But, Rose, how can you bring yourself to do that?"

So, yeah. This book was epic. And I loved that it was longer than the previous ones.
If I could sum up this entire book with two words? Adrian Ivashkov.
on 21 April 2013
This series is the sort of books your teachers always tell you not to read because they're rubbish. However, I found them really entertaining and very fast and easy to read. I read them all in less than a week! Highly recommended if you are into Twilight and that sort of thing.
on 5 January 2014
gripping, funny and powerful. I originally found these books after seeing the trailer for the upcoming movie. book 3 develops the story and moves the journey onto a darker path. thoroughly recommended
on 9 May 2014
I love how this shows, no matter your age, it's how you deal with things thrown your way. Rose is such a badass character, she knows what she wants .... even if it isn't always the "correct" way to deal with things
on 28 December 2014
As with the first two in the series, I really enjoyed this book. This novel has moved on from a slightly gossipy teen story that was the first book, to more serious,enthralling territory , however, I cannot decide whether this makes the book better or worse. I can definitely say that I did not enjoy it as much as 'Vampire Academy' and 'Frostbite' but I think that this was more because the plot was a little slow, and not enough happened in my opinion. Also, I thought that Rose become slightly personalityless and quite miserable all the time. The ending was extremely sad, although I was expecting it because I've read the blurbs of the next books, but it still shocked me. Despite its flaws, 'Shadow Kiss' is an enjoyble read, so I awarded it five stars instead of four.
on 4 March 2010
From the day I first opened the pages of Vampire Academy, I fell in love with the world, the mythology, the characters, the romance, the whole story. The lives of Rose and Lissa live are just brilliant, and Rose's narration is always so real, I feel like I know her. Loving this series like I do, I knew I would love reading Shadow Kiss, but I was not prepared for what was to come. It's beautiful, it's heart breaking, it's one incredible emotional rollercoaster, and I closed the book feeling drained, but in the best way possible.

The magical element of this book is just brilliant. When everything is all worked out, you see how it flows right from the last book, Frostbite, but as the story goes on, you're never exactly sure what's going on with Rose, and are genuinely worried for her sanity. She's behaving erratically, and gets very, very angry at relatively small things. And then she starts seeing ghosts. And the first is not just any ghost, it's Mason. Rose is seriously freaked out by the things that are happening to her, and has no clue what to think. Richelle's ability to plot is incredible, though, and all these little things are pulled together right at the end, and it's just brilliant.

The characters are just as great as always; Lissa is the same compassionate, soft and sweet Lissa we've come to love. Christian, Lissa's boyfriend, we get to know even better when Rose is assigned as his guardian for her field experience, and he is just the coolest despite his snarky nature, though he is very insecure. Adrian, the rich Moroi royal they all met on the ski trip in Frostbite who can also use Spirit like Lissa, is still very flirty with Rose, but, though I grudgingly admit it, lovely undearneath it all. Eddie, Mason's best friend, is assigned to Lissa for the field experience, and he is just adorable; he's strong, he's dedicated, and he's been seriously affected by Mason's death and what happened to him in Frostbite.

Then there's Dimitri; he's just as amazing, as gorgeous, as lovely, as completely swoon worthy as ever, and, my god, I came so close to tears at some points when he and Rose were having some serious chats. He is just amazing, and as messed up as Rose is right now, he is the only thing that calms her. Their relationship, or non-relationship so far, progresses in this novel, and it's unbearably sweet. How any girl could fail to have one of those heart-lifting moments, where you have one of those exaggerated sighs, but feel jealous that fictitious characters get all the good guys. The emotions run high throughout.

Then the action kicks in, and it's serious. It's a battle unlike anything we've seen previously in the Vampire Academy series, and it's huge, and like in any battle, things don't end all rainbows and butterflies. There are consequences, serious consequences, and you won't see them coming. I had some inklings as to what would happen, but in the end, I was taken by surprise at the actual outcome. I was absolutely devastated, and there were tears. A whole lot of them. I actually had to leave the room as there was a danger that I would disrupt everyone else from watching the TV with my sobs. It's so, so sad, but absolutely brilliant, and the ending has me itching to pick up the next book.

This is probably the best in the series so far, it was just phenomenal! I can't even begin to tell you how much you need to read this book, or this whole series if you've yet to read. Just fantastic! And I'm so glad I already have a copy of Blood Promise to start as soon as I've finished typing. Brilliant book, I can't recommend it enough!
on 7 January 2012
Shadow Kiss is the third book in the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, and even though Richelle Mead gives a quick summary of everything that has taken place in the first two books, you just have to read those to fully appreciate Shadow Kiss. The choice of title is perfect: once you have finished reading the third book you'll understand exactly why this title fits perfectly and how it describes the story. Shadow Kiss is the most intense novel of the series so far: the emotional intensity and depth Richelle Mead makes Rose explore are extraordinary. In my opinion Shadow Kiss was the best book in the series (so far): the plot was layered and I enjoyed that there were several storylines, the characters who got "screen time" really made the most of it (Adrian is a fantastic new, funny and original character) though I would have liked to see even more Christian/Rose scenes (I have a feeling these two are so similar they should become great friends). The relationship between Dimitri and Rose evolves and I loved the intensity of Dimitri's feelings, something we got more and more glimpses of all through the third book. One of the major concepts aside (that Rose is becoming crazy and that's why she's seeing ghosts), it was nice to see Rose so grounded and maturely trying to process her hardships. Rose has come a long way since the first book, she has matured and grown emotionally so much, and seeing how Shadow Kiss ended, I bet she still has a long way to go. I very much enjoyed how in Shadow Kiss Richelle Mead spent some time on vampire politics and exploring different ideas about reform. Rose did some (self) examination of guardians and dhampirs and her own role and life within the system she has known, and was good to see her question some of the things/facts she grew up with. And finally Lissa managed to redeem herself after the big disappointment and anger she caused to me in Frostbite. Even though she wasn't a character I was particularly interested in, in Shadow Kiss Richelle Mead spent more time developing Lissa's character and showing us bits of her personality, thoughts and feelings, and I have to say, I found her interesting! When trying to choose which character I particularly liked, I discovered that I have many favourite characters: I loved reading every scene Christian was in, especially his bantering with Rose, that was a high of the novel; then there is Adrian, another extremely entertaining character, whose flirting with Rose I was always looking forward to, just loved reading Rose's sarcastic dry comments to his chivalrous, charming ones.Even though I'm all for Dimitri, I would like to see more of Adrian as I think he is a very exciting and complex character, and I would love if Richelle Mead explored him in more detail. Then there is of course Dimitri. Strong, powerful, solid rock to Rose Dimitri, who is opening up more and accepting his love for Rose. The conclusion of Rose and Dimitri's love was beautiful. At the end of Shadow Kiss I had the exact same feeling I had when seeing the last episodes of Season 2 of Buffy. The heartache, the sorrow and the resignation to surmount the pain just for a little more. My heart broke to see Rose having to go through another devastating grief so soon after *he who shall not be named for spoiler reasons*! What I enjoyed the most in Shadow Kiss was the emotional intensity: Rose's fears about not being able to handle the side effects of Lissa's magic, her guilt over Mason, her growing love for Dimitri and then the ultimate heartbreak and devastation (which I'm sure Richelle Mead will still be able to up in the next book) were wonderfully done, it took the reader on an overwhelming emotional journey. Shadow Kiss was an addictive read, not only I gobbled it up in 2 days, but I lived and breathed with the characters.
Thank you, Richelle Mead! You have given fans of the VAMPIRE ACADEMY series a wonderful third novel. SHADOW KISS is probably the best out of the three. Reading VAMPIRE ACADEMY and FROSTBITE first is a must in order to really understand what is going on in the series.

Rose Hathaway is training to be a Guardian. Once she graduates from St. Vladimir's Academy, she will be assigned to guard her best friend, Lissa, for the rest of her life. Even though everything is going along as planned, she feels waves of jealously and anger. A lot of these feelings come from the fact that she can never have what she truly wants - love.

Dimitri, her mentor and teacher, is set to be her partner after graduation. He and Rose will be the team that guards Lissa on a daily basis. The problem is, Rose and Dimitri are in love. Knowing their love isn't allowed, they make sure to keep their relationship professional - when they can.

Rose has started seeing ghosts and she feels sure they are trying to tell her something. Soon she begins to understand they are telling her that danger is on the way. Danger that will involve everyone at St. Vladimir's. Rose is no stranger to fighting, but this time it is going to be war.

Not everyone survives, and Rose ends up having to make the hardest decision of her life - one that will effect both her and Lissa.

SHADOW KISS left me breathless and in tears. I can't wait for the next book in the series to come out. The way the story ends leads me to believe that the next book will be even better. There are so many possibilities that it makes my head spin.

Reviewed by: Karin Librarian
on 29 April 2014
It was a really good book but the twist at the end ruined it for me and I didn't read the next set of books. Dimitri and rose's romance is one of the romances that you just love. It's true and genuine. You don't get that a lot only in a few books.