5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Rose and Lissa are best friends who share an unimaginable bond, even by vampire standards. Now, after time spent on the run, they have been returned to the school from which they escaped to face ridicule, speculation, and danger.

Published on 17 Aug 2007 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow start to a good series
Published on 24 Dec 2010 by Amy Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 17 Aug 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vampire Academy (Paperback)

Welcome to St. Vladimir's Academy, a private high school for vampires and the half-bloods who are bound to protect them. The Moroi are vampires, and the descendants of Moroi royalty are the social elite of St. Vladimir's. The Moroi are at constant risk, though. The Strigoi, the fiercest vampires, are out to get them, any way they can. The Moroi are protected by Dhampirs, guardians who are sworn to lay down their lives to assure that the Moroi bloodlines continue.

Rose is a Dhampir and Lissa is the last of the Dragomir line of Moroi royalty. Rose and Lissa share a special bond; one that nearly assures that Rose will be Lissa's guardian for life. Returning to school, however, proves to be more difficult than either of them imagined. The social politics have changed during their absence and Rose and Lissa are both the topic of several rumors. Their sudden disappearance, their time on the run, and their return are all subjects for speculation. In some instances, the truth may cause them more harm than rumors ever could.

In addition to the social pressures, Lissa may be in even more danger than anyone could have imagined. In addition to being Moroi and royalty, Lissa seems to have special abilities that haven't been seen among the Moroi in centuries. Abilities that make her an even more tantalizing target to the Strigoi.

VAMPIRE ACADEMY is a thrilling adventure that draws you along and makes you continue to turn the pages. As the danger to Lissa gets closer, it gets more difficult to put the book down. In a world that seems saturated with vampire books, Richelle Mead has created characters and a world that is both unique and believable.

Reviewed by: JodiG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 25 May 2009
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This is the first in the Vampire Academy series and it's an amazing start. I was instantly drawn in to Rose's world and her desire to keep Lissa safe and the lengths she'd go to, to acchive it.

Rose is sassy and rebelious, but with an edge that clearly shows she understands a lot more about being an adult than you would iniatially assume, but she doesn't always show it. The world created here is vivid and realistic, something easy to get lost in. All the characters are developed well and you can get a really good sense of them in a short space of time. I love the relationship between Rose and her teacher, Dimitri Belikov and the way it's created. It is a forbidden romance, but it's not all consuming. They grow closer as they train together through discovering more about the other and who they are. Although romance is a big theme here, it's not the main one. It's the major subplot, and becomes a little more in the third book, but it's not the focus of the book, nor does Rose spend all her time mooning after Dimitri.

The plot flows quick and easily, making it a very hard book to put down. The writing is good and with a sharp sense of humor that creates a few laugh out loud moments. You can really feel the ups and downs as Rose does, keeping the tension up until the last moment.

Anyone who's looking at this having read Twilight and looking for another YA vampire book, read this. In my opinion, it's massively better. The characters more interesting and far less annoying with a much bigger, more rounded, and darker story around it. Fantastic work, and the series only gets better. 4.5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I understand the deal over vampires, 20 Jun 2009
I haven't read Twilight. The last book I read about vampires was...over a decade ago, back when I was school. It was The Vampire Promise by Caroline B Cooney. I was petrified when I read it, and gave up on vampires. Then, there was Buffy. I enjoyed vampires after that, yet still never ventured into vampire fiction. I didn't get the deal with Vampires, why they made such cool characters, why everyone raved about them. That was until Vampire Academy.

Vampire Academy is the first in a trilogy, already out across the pond in the United States of America. It's the story of Rose Hathaway, unofficial guardian to Lissa Dragomir, a vampire Princess. The only survivor in her family.

For reasons I will not divulge, the story begins with Rose and Lissa as runaways from St Vladimir's Academy. The guardians at the Academy unceremoniously drag them back to school. However, it isn't as safe as all believe it to be.

The Academy is home to other royal vampires, and novice guardians. There's the usual school atmospheres: cliques are formed, popularity is uppermost in most students' thoughts. Superficial friendships related to the constantly run popularity contests run alongside more recreational relationships. Surrounded by this, and the real threat of expulsion which will keep Rose away from Lissa forever if she caves in to her wild nature, is the mysterious bond the two girls acquired after the accident two years prior to their escape.

It's a bond on a physic level, one which neither will tell the teachers about. The bond saves Lissa's life countless of times. There's more than just the bond that's kept secret: Lissa, although she doesn't show particular aptitude in any of the four magical elements which the students study, has another skill, one which forced the two to run away from the Academy. Now they're back, the skill begins to consume Lissa, changing her from the sweet, vampire princess she used to be into a literally manipulative princess. She has many redeeming qualities, the level of compassion she has for anyone, or anything hurt, and the way she's not keen when other students exploit Feeders - humans who enjoy being fed off.

Rose definitely holds the crown for snarkiness - the story is told from her point of view - but Lissa doesn't keep her fangs hidden when issues she care about arise.

That's what drew me to Vampire Academy: the fact that it wasn't told from the POV of the princess, but from her friend - her unofficial guardian (technically Rose is still in training). I don't see this happen a lot in fiction, at least not the books I've read up until now. I've always wanted to know the stories behind the protectors, how they developed their fighting skills, how they strengthened their minds to protect their charges no matter the cost.

Rose believes that she can take on the Stirgoi, the type of vampires who never die. Think super-tough, with abnormally fast reactions and pure evil minds. The scariest thing about them? They can keep their nature hidden for a while.

Dimitri, Lissa's personal guardian, volunteers to help train Rose. He pushes her hard, but not as hard as she pushes herself once she learns the reason behind the seemingly useless exercise.

relationships raised the paperclip level to three. There's some coarse language, a fair amount of innuendo and a little detail on adult relationships.

That didn't stop me from sitting glued to my book, oblivious as my parents kept picking up and putting back oven gloves on my lap this evening. The way sensitive topics that until not long ago were a taboo area are addressed makes me want to hand Vampire Academy out in schools around the country. Depression and self-harm are portrayed in a startling accurate manner. It shows the view from the close friend, seeing what the sufferer is doing to themselves, not quite understanding it, but accepting that it's a part of them. I won't spoil the outcome of that story line, but its one which touched my heart.

Vampire Academy has opened up a new genre for me - Vampires. (Yes, I may now go and read Twilight. Maybe). You can guarantee that I'll be waiting for the post when the second installment, Frostbite comes out in October. It's bound to have more plot twists and edge of chapter page turners than this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reading for adults, too., 27 Sep 2009
M. Anthony - See all my reviews
Admittedly, I had my doubts about this one, but I was pleasantely suprised at how good it was. I liken it to the Harry Potter effect--written for young people, loved by adults. This one is the first in the series and I am really looking forward to checking out more like it. All the way through, it kept getting better for me. I'd recommend this one to fans of Charlene Harris and Harry Potter.

5.0 out of 5 stars did not expect it to be so good, 11 Dec 2009
L. Robinson "LROBIN" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this purely because i needed something to read, i honestly did not expect to get sucked into the story as much as i did... and in three words I LOVE IT!

The title of the first book in the series is a bit...bleh! To be honest, it makes it sound a lot more childish and lame than in actually is! Rose, a dhampir (half human half vamp) is training to be a guardian to protect her best friend Lissa, a moroi (vamps that age, live, eat etc)

After the first few chapters, i felt as if id missed out a book, that i wasn't in the loop of what was happening! It kept mentioning things that had happened previously that i wasn't aware of, this was quite frustrating at first. However, it just made me more determined to find out what had happened - as i suspect was the authors goal...

It was Rose's relationship with her mentor that kept me going back for more, I'm a sucker for forbidden love! I loved all scenes with Rose and Dimitri...

Vampire Academy, is funny, edgy, exciting, and puts a totally different spin on vampire lore and this is what i love about it...! Read it, you will not be disappointed! I promise!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book!, 28 Nov 2009
What can I say but looking forward to reading the rest of the books. I have to point out that I couldn't put this book down and was disappointed when it was over. It only took me a few days to finish as I found myself in the story with the characters and always wanting to know what was happening. I Would recommend this book to all that enjoy a good vampire novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOOOOP, 28 Aug 2008
This review is from: Vampire Academy (Paperback)
this book is AMAZING. the title is a little cheesy, and puts a 'lame' sticker on the book, but once you read it, the book is great. some of the characters are a little superficial. a great teenage read. i would know, being a teenager and all. i'd recommend this to all my friends. in fact, i have, and i've turned them all into vampire-novel junkies. this book is a favourite with all of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow start to a good series, 24 Dec 2010
Amy Connolly "book addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I was reluctant to read this because it was Young Adult paranormal romance, a genre which generally irritates me. And this started out pretty typically, almost making my give up on it altogether. It was slow, the main character was incredibly annoying and it just wasn't pulling me into it. But friends who had finished it told me to keep going, and I have to admit now that I'm glad I did.
The book picked up considerably in the second half, but it's the rest of the series that makes me really glad I plodded on with this one.

The female lead is teenager Rose, and like I said, she is annoying: she's immature, bitchy, 'badass', and generally had an attitude problem. This doesn't really change in the following books, but it's something worth putting up with. There is a lot of action in this series which is actually fairly good an keeps them moving at a fast pace. The romances that also pick up are interesting and it's the relationships between characters that keeps me picking up the next book in the series.

The story line starts off fairly basic (good vampires, evil vampires, half vampires, battles and blood) but as the series develops it becomes more intricate and increasingly interesting. I have finished the first three books in the last 4-5 days and can not wait to pick up the next one (which apparently is the best) to see what happens next.

So yeah, this may be a tough one to get into but I implore you to try, because once you do it's well worth the struggle. Those who enjoy YA, urban fantasy/paranormal romance, and such authors like Kim Harrison, Ilona Andrews, Charlaine Harris will no doubt love this series. Thumbs up from me :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Fab Fab!, 23 Aug 2010
This review is from: Vampire Academy (Paperback)
This book is really amazing! From the very first page I was hooked. I had thought of buying it before and had always decided against it, thinking it didn't sound fantastic. I borrowed it off a friend who had all five(so far) and have neverlooked back! All fove of them are really amazing and I was just about reading one a day. I was hooked!
I know you probably want a summary of the plot but if I say ANYTHING it would give too much away. Just trust me...I have read A LOT of vampire books and this is definitely one of if not the best series I've read so far! If you like vampire stories, which are fast-paced and have some romance this is DEFINITELY the series for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good series :))), 26 May 2010
I was looking for a decent Vampire series to read, and this one gets recommended alot. There are currently 5 books in this series and this is the first one. I really enjoyed it, it was a fresh read, and i think it's alot better then twilight, but less well known (prob a good thing). It is for young adults (im 20) but i think the writings good, its a proper page turner.
I am now on book two (Frostbite) where it is starting to get more darker, but it's definetely a good series to read if you want proper vampire action (Blood sucking not sparkling) and i recommend it.

Vampire Academy
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (Paperback - 1 Oct 2009)
Used & New from: 0.01