5.0 out of 5 stars Concise but thorough, just what I wanted
My bog-standard gym program was going nowhere. So I ordered this figuring I would make my own program, but thankfully, there's no need cause the author does it all for you.

What I really like is that he covers EVERY base, grouped into simple choices.
1. what kind of physique do you want (lean/toned/big/balanced)
2. how many days can you work out per...
Published on 27 Jan. 2008 by Lofta

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
2.0 out of 5 stars Strictly for beginners...
Having bought this book on the strength of the previous reviews, I feel forced to add my own now to guide future potential shoppers. This book, in my opinion, is strictly for beginners to weight training. With good illustrations and solid workout routines, it is a nice start for beginners.
When you read more closely however, you see this is written at a basic level...
Published on 27 Dec. 2010 by cneal14

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise but thorough, just what I wanted, 27 Jan. 2008
Lofta (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men's Health: The Body You Want in the Time You Have (Mens Health) (Paperback)

What I really like is that he covers EVERY base, grouped into simple choices.
1. what kind of physique do you want (lean/toned/big/balanced)
2. how many days can you work out per week (from 1/2/3/4/5/6/7 days(!))
3. how long can you work out per session (from 10/15/20/30/45/60 mins)

And then he gives you FULL programs per session/day based on your combination of choices. Plus full and simple instructions on every single exercise, with up to 3 ways of doing each one, e.g. 3 options to do bicep curls depending on the equipment available and your personal preference.

There's also sections on nutrition and stretches, so I can't see how you can go wrong with this book to help you achieve your goals, however much time you've got to work out.

This is exactly what I wanted. It's only been a couple weeks so far into my program but I'm seeing definite benefits and leave each workout really knackered. I am being quite strict with diet, though, as calorie intake is key to get the results you want.

Overall, this book is probably the best one I've seen for normal people wanting to get into real shape without the bs of body-building evangelism. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars When you need inspiration, 17 Mar. 2008
S. Kavanagh "Si" (UK) - See all my reviews
I havent had time for a thorough gym work out for quite some time for various reasons but I decided to make myself a deal and start thinking that I owed myself time to work out. With that in mind this book seemed perfect - the way it caters for the time you have is really interesting. I started off with 45 mins/3 days a week and have just decided to add another day in. Looking at the way he structures the work-outs is really interesting - each exerise works on a different set of muscle groups so that if you follow the routine you really do work out all the key muscles during a week. A word of advice is to start with a weight that is simple to lift in order to master particular exercises and then you get confidence to move up weights.

On a very practical level I live in a terraced house with kids so space is at a premium. The only kit i have for these work outs is a chair or two and a set of adjustable dumbells - as the book describes it, these are really the only tools you need. I've been following this for 3 weeks now and I'm starting to see results and feel stronger. Important note here is that Murphy includes a nutrion section to this book and it is really worth reading - eating smaller meals, snacking regularly, eating foods in an unprocessed form and thinking about a genuine 'balanced diet' etc is really interesting and helps stave off tiredness and over-eating. I've certainly taken some (not all) these points on board and have certainly lost the 'bloat' that I always felt I was carrying and never thought I'd be able to get rid of.

Well written (no preaching), brilliantly structured to suit everyone and lots of really pertinent observations. I shall certainly be sticking to this book for a while yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comprehensive, 19 Dec. 2007
M. Gamal (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
It's true, it really does give work-outs no matter how much time you have, what you want to exercise for, and how much equipment you've got. There are two or three alternatives for each work-out depending on what equipment you've got, and when and how you do them depends on how much time you have and what you want to achieve.
There are also sections on stretching, massaging and nuitrition.
It is written very simply and assumes you are an absolute beginner.

2.0 out of 5 stars Strictly for beginners..., 27 Dec. 2010
When you read more closely however, you see this is written at a basic level. Firstly, the routines are repetitive when you move from 20-30-40 mins and are very similar across the 2-3-4 days per week schedule. I would have expected more variety, and suggestions for changes in the workshops to keep the routines fresh. This is suggested in the text but the selection of exercise is left to the user, which is a pity and the book loses alot of value because of this. Second, the book includes a 7-day training section, but then suggests not doing this routine. Fine, I agree. But why include this section at all? Why not include 1-6 day schedules and refer in the introduction in a small section why there is not 7 day routine? Thirdly, the workouts include a potentially harmful exercise - leg extensions. Lastly, as someone who has worked on weight training for about ten years, I had hoped to be inspired by the routines and expected some variation between the days per week and time per routine. However, the routines were very repetitive with little variation. Then the timeframes suggested for the routines are extremely ambition, almost as if you have your own home gym. And that is fine for those who have their own home gym, but for those who use public gyms, I think you will find the routines difficult to complete in the timeframes suggested.
In summary, this is an OK weight training book for beginners but with major flaws.

+ points
+ good illustrations and instructions on the 48 exercises chosen
+ good but not great workout plans

- points
- Wasting space with a 7-day plan section only to say not to do such a plan
- Mention changing the routines but not including any suggestions for likely and appropriate changes
- Including exercises now recognised as potentially harmful, eg, leg extensions, without adequate warnings
- Workouts very ambitious with time in reality - I challenge anyone to complete the 30 min. workout in 30mins at a g

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice one!, 8 Jun. 2006
Self-help junkie (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
What a brilliant idea! The title says it all. Figure out how many days you can set aside to work-out this week (1? 2? 3? all the way up to every day!) and then figure out how much time you can set aside in each day to work out (10 minutes? all the way up to 60 minutes). Then simply turn to the page of the book that has the appropriate combination of days per week and time per day (e.g. 20 minutes twice a week) and pick one of four work-outs: one to get leaner, one to build muscle, one to build strength, or a total-body workout. Each workout is clearly written out for you so that you can photocopy it and take it to the gym, and if you can't get to the gym, there are alternatives that you can do at home/in the hotel with a minimum of expensive equipment.

I really like the fact that even if you can only do 10 minutes one day a week, the author doesn't shout 'WIMP'. He is completely realistic about how the time we can set aside to excercise varies from week to week, and he works firmly on the 'anything is better than nothing' principle. So the whole tone of the book is encouraging.

A great idea and a book that I'm sure I will use many many times and value for its flexible, realistic approach.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 May 2009
this book gives you an insight, not only into going to the gym and punching the rounds out of your body but also doing it at home with cheap equipment. This to me has been brilliant, I have a keen knowledge on working out but this along with a cook book i bought really pushed me to achieve goals. Im now 10.5%-12.5% and weighing around 16 stone I am starting to look and feel happy with myself.

Not only is this book written for those who could do hours on end in the gym, its also giving those who can only do 10 mins at home a chance. the nutrition advice at the back is also very very helpful.

overall a good book, would like to have seen a tiny bit more c.v stuff in there but just cos its not thrown in there doesnt mean you cant do it. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars All You Need, 12 Sept. 2010
Ignore the one review that has given this book 1 star. That reviewer claims that you need to join a GYM to use this book. You do not need a GYM membership to undertake any of the exercises in this book. All you need is a pair of variable weight dumb-bells and either an exercise bench or something that resemble one (I am using a large poof).

I have tried working out before with some brief instructions and diagrams, but had little results. I never felt fully worked or woke up aching from these sessions. After 4 days and three days of training with the help of this book, I am already seeing noticeable results. My muscles are aching, signifying the intensive workout they are getting.

This book comes in three sections. The first of these outlines the hows, do and don'ts of effective exercise to build muscle and burn fat. This is really easy to understand and condensed down to about 40 pages. The second section details 48 exercises with three variations of each using different equipment. Then the third give 120 different workout routines using the 48 exercises.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Guide, 29 Jan. 2012
kemcho_sk (London, England) - See all my reviews
I like the fact it splits out routines based on days you have available and the type of body you want.
Also has a handy section on foods and diet.
Would recommend to beginners and more as a reference for experienced individuals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get started, 29 Mar. 2011
This book is well written and has some great (and important) advice for anyone who is a beginner to intermediate bodybuilder.

It helped me greatly when I first started training, and I followed one of the courses for the first 6 months of my lifting carreer with great results.

If you are new to weight lifting I would deffinately reccomend this book, but like all sports, if you don't put the intensity into your workouts you wont get the gains you crave. If you follow one of the well put together routines from this book, you WILL get the required results.

Happy lifting

J

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comprehensive, 28 April 2011
Too much in the book to cover here, suffice to say you won't regret the purchase, especially for the price. Over hundreds of pages the author covers everything from the basics of fitness and assessing your own fitness, to full on workouts tailored for your level. Covers dozens and dozens of different exercises and shows you ways of doing them at home if you have little to no professional equipment. Great book if you want to do workouts from home basically, or want to practice before going to the gym.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Men's Health: The Body You Want in the Time You Have (Mens Health)