4.0 out of 5 stars A useful resource, but not definitive
Published on 26 Mar. 2009 by T. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Sets a good foundation for skinny guys wanting to bulk
When finally deciding I needed to pack on some size, I was advised by someone at the gym that this was the book to get. And at £15.99, it looked like the book that would certainly set me on the right path.

Published on 1 Oct. 2012 by earthwormgym

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful resource, but not definitive, 26 Mar. 2009
T. Brown (England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after years of trying to gain muscle and failing. Six weeks later, people who don't know I've been bulking up have been commenting on how I look bulkier. The thing this book is really good for is nutrition. Frankly, I suspect that if I did my old workout with the amount of food I'm now eating I would be bulking up. But the approach to working out seems safe and sensible, with an emphasis on compound exercises. The work outs are pretty quick to get done, and I don't find them complex or difficult. But you will probably need a training partner, as they focus on free weights. It's also really good for ensuring that you work safely, and diagnose and strengthen any weak links, like knees, and shoulders before you get heavy. However, it's not totally comprehensive: it doesn't cover post-cardio nutrition and I needed to re-read the nutrition several times to make sense of it. The writing style is slightly irritating. Lastly, you will put on some fat (I have for literally the first time in my life), no matter how careful you are (it tells you this on almost the last page!) and it doesn't tell you how to get cut, only how to bulk. The insistence of the programme on real food for all your nutrients may be unrealistic. It can be time-consuming and expensive. I would recommend Bulking for Ectomorphs by Derek Charlebois (which has an excellent recipe for a home-made meal replacament drink) and internet forums to supplement this book. But it is an inspirational and in my case effective way of getting bigger. And I'm confident that if it works for me, it will work for anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 20 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Scrawny to Brawny: The Complete Guide to Building Muscle the Natural Way (Paperback)
You won't get any before/after pictures of guys endorsing a product and the style is a little asinine at times but the work out routines are demanding and give results (for me 17kg gained in 4 months). The approach may sem a little unorthodox at times and you'll need a gym with a decent of equipment not your executive nautilus machines but the work out definately work. The nutrition advice is sound, which condensed means eat about double your current amount of useful calories which I followed and it worked. The book gives 4 programs building you up in stages and will have you doing exercises not many do, such as squats and the like but if you stick through it, you will make some very solid gains.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sets a good foundation for skinny guys wanting to bulk, 1 Oct. 2012

To start with, the book is fantastic at boosting confidence and putting together a strong argument for its approach, backed up with strong scientific research. It's also motivational in the sense that the author himself used to be a skinny "ectomorphic" guy, who wrote this book to share his wisdom at getting bigger.

However, I found the actual practise of the book rather difficult. In Phase One, the book has you trying to work out your own body weaknesses/imbalances, using simple body tests that can be done at home. While this part may/may not be simple, I lacked confidence compiling my own phase one routine- I found myself almost copying the example formula they provided.

Phase Two is better (but can only be done once phase one has been properly executed- strict words from author!) It discusses the importance of the 5 x 5 approach, using Full Body workouts. After doing my own outside research, I am a firm believer of the compound exercise, and so was willing to follow along with the books program...

...Yet, the book suggests using obscure equipment that only large, fancy gyms would have (e.g. trap bars and machine for Glute Ham raises). Thus, I found myself having to substitute exercises, for something near similar in the hope the end result was the same.

Phase Three was the most challenging, as it discussed new, quite risky exercises- especially for a newcomer. The Snatch for example is an olympic move which should definitely include supervision when trying it first hand. And Phase Four promoted super-setting, which I am never a fan of, as it means you have to use two sets of equipment at a time- a difficult task in an average-sized gym that is usually pretty busy.

Overall, I would recommend this book to get you started, but then perhaps look to combining the books advice (especially on food! It's fantastic on nutritional advice) with some basic rules of working out in a modest setting. To this day, I keep it simple, doing Full body workouts, and the same 5 x 5 set/rep range. I occasionally use this book for quick reference on the more particular things, such as speed of reps, or correct posture.

To sum up: Not very practical approach for those working in a modest gym, but a great book for scientific knowledge, motivation for the skinny-guy and nutritional know-how!

p.s. The book is by an American Author, so some food suggestions may be geared towards a US audience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrawny to Brawny, 18 Nov. 2010
As a trainer, I like reviewing weightlifting books and found this one to be most interesting. First of all, the book is written very well, interjecting humor that makes it hard to put the book down. Having said that, however, I did find it a tad bit disorganized at times- and I say that mainly because I had to flip around a bit here and there.

Anyway, the book is divided into two basic parts. The first is training to gain, which discusses the four part training phases. They're much too detailed to go into but they do give the reader a set path to follow that is well laid out. Part two? That would be "need to feed" which is the diet and eating part. Here again, its very detailed but emphasizes the reader getting enough calories- which the book says is absolutely essential to packing on the muscle.

Other goodies are interspersed throughout the book, such as discussions of determining what body type you are and determining your calorie needs. All in all, the book has a fun writing style and is clearly based on a certain amount of research that is cited here and there to back up its claims. Also recommend Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff for weightlifters struggling with a torn cuff or shoulder pain.

3.0 out of 5 stars The proof of the pudding..., 18 April 2011
Thought I'd add a review as someone who has actually completed the S2B programme.

Overall I found the book really useful, and I think anyone beginning a training programme could do a lot worse than follow the advice here. The diet advice in particular is very detailed, but you must be prepared for a serious overhaul of your eating habits if you follow all the guidance here.

For the most part I really enjoyed the workouts, but in some instances where my particular gym did not have the equipment available (how are you supposed to add weight to a pull up?) I was a bit annoyed that no alternative exercises were listed. What on earth is a Roman Chair? In some cases I had to substitute exercises with a compromise alternative which isn't ideal.

I most enjoyed the final phase as I felt it really put me through my paces and I enjoyed the exercises. I hated the strength training phases as I found it hard, being on my own in the gym, to "max out" on my weights for fear of getting stuck or crushing myself.

All that said after the programme I find I have gained about 1cm on my arms, about 1 inch or so on my chest and a couple of inches on my butt, but two inches on my waist! So my advice is, stick to the diet rigidly, particularly all the abvice about carbs, but also don't expect miracles. I'm in noticeably better shape than when I started, but at the same time I'm by no means "brawny"!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for a person starting out, 24 Jun. 2014
This book really makes a good point and is laid out in a way that can be understood by anyone. In short the book is getting you to do full body workouts and myself reading this and being a powerlifter I cant disagree. full body workouts change my life and i got stronger every week. Something i had never got from your normal bodybuilding workouts. If your a skinny guy looking to get into the gym but not sure where to turn this is a good book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars good but a little overwhelming fro a complete beginner, 4 July 2007
Mr. Paul Campbell (Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As a complete beginner to weight training I found this book to be a little overwhelming in that covers a huge amount of training and nutrition thoery. Also putting together the initial programs requires quite a bit of puzzling things out. If this was the only reference I had I would probably have needed a month to absorb it all before I actually started doing any excercise !.

Having said that, now that I have had time to go through it properly, I feel there is very little about the relevent training physiology and nutrition that I dont know and it is probably a book that everyone doing any training should have in thier library.

If your a complete beginner though I recommend first getting something like "the new rules of lifting" which seems to have much the same core philosophy (i.e. emphisis on compound excercises and nutrition) but is much more accessible and conducive to just getting started with some excercising - more of a "user guide" to this books "reference manual" style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only results with this book, 20 Feb. 2006
Mr D T Scarborough (Hemel Hempstead, Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am Head Personal Trainer at Esporta health club and have purchased around 150 fitness related books. Scrawny to Brawny answers all those questions I have ever been asked in the gym by the hard to gain weight-training enthusiasts. This is an excellent read and a must for anyone wishing to put an edge to their training the natural way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 30 Nov. 2005
Shane McKeown (Newry, Down United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Loved the book, would recommend for anyone interested in learning how to add some muscle to their frame, goes into both the nutritional and physical aspects of training.
Excellent read, well structured, definately worth buying

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Advice, 16 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
I have read other books by one of these authors and I knew it would be loaded with good information.I have given this book to my younger cleints who want to build size the natural way. Recommend this book and the book below for a strong overall balance to your workout program.Also recommend everyone who works out to get this book ' The Backsmart Fitness Plan' A full complete program from stretching to great dumbbell exercies and balance drills.Tough Abs drills to help firm and shape up the midsection

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›