5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know as a beginner
Published on 11 Oct 2012 by Delici

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings
So many different opinions on the benefits of fasting, not sure what to do. This book certainly puts it over as a great idea but not at all sure that possible for ordinary,everyday folk
Published 16 months ago by Nell G

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know as a beginner, 11 Oct 2012
This review is from: Transformational Power of Fasting: The Way to Spiritual, Physical, and Emotional Rejuvenation (Paperback)
My interest in fasting began about a year ago, and as well as starting one 36hr and one 24hr fast each week I began to read all I could on it. This book is without a doubt the stand out one so far. And I'm in no way hippy, new age, or spiritual, and due to my upbringing, will panic if that becomes too heavy handed. But here Buhner quietly and cleverly avoids any overt emphasis on spirtuality making it highly accessible to those brought up to only accept evidence that can be physically measured, and validated scientifically. It's rational, modern and very readable.

He fully conveys the emotional and physical benefits of fasting in a far more in depth way that other books do, really nailing just how wonderful it can be on all levels. He also clearly sets out any dangers or adverse effects of fasting.

I think if you've just come to fasting and want to find out more, or are more practiced but want to go further then you couldn't choose a better book.

If you've never even thought of fasting, then definitely read this book - it will very soon be THE new health diet, and one which, as you'll find out by reading, is producing some very very exciting results both in and out of the science lab. And, even I, after reading this, want to find out more about the spiritual journey. Transformational indeed....

5.0 out of 5 stars comprehensive and thoughtful, 19 Oct 2013
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I first fasted over 30 years ago, with little or no knowledge about preparing for fasting or about breaking the fast. I simply stopped eating. After the first day's hunger pangs were over, I felt marvelous all the way through. I think it was 7 or 10 days, can't remember very well, that far back.

It happened to be a long hot summer (yes, in England!) and I lay in the sun every afternoon too. As someone who had been dieting since early teens, it was wonderful to be free of the tyranny of food - at least for a while. I never forgot and it benefited my relationship with food for the rest of my life (so far).

Since then I have read a number of books about all the wrong ways I went about my first fast. Huh. What I really learned from all the books is that - as long as you are in reasonably good health and not taking medications (this described most young people then) - you can start and stop more or less as you like, you can continue for as long (or short) as you want, without deciding anything in advance. What a glorious time is youth when you aren't sick!

For the rest of us (obviously, I'm now much older and quite sick) this is a fantastic book. It covered much I had never thought about. If it missed anything, I didn't notice. For the last 2 decades, I "knew" I was too sick to fast. Now that I am improving (see my review on "Hypothyroidism Type 2", which you have at least a 50% chance of benefiting from too) I feel that I am once again able to fast and am looking forward to it. This book is wonderful for anyone, from beginners (which I am now, in a way) to experienced fasters.

Buhner, who maintained a private practice in both psychotherapy and clinical herbalism from 1980 until 2005, covers the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual, the differences between water fasting, no-food-or-water fasting (yes, possible!) and juice fasting, and so much more. The meaning of food to us, various illnesses (plus some research on the benefits - the sicker you are, the longer the fast needs to be, apparently) - and even more - were also explained.

Don't miss. But, if you feel you cannot fast you are probably right. Take a look at some of the books on the new 5:2 diet or the fast diet, as it is also being called. It's a much gentler way to obtain some of the same benefits - and you should see the hundreds of reviews of some of the books about this diet (it's only a diet 2 days each week), many delightedly confirming both weight loss and health improvements.

Note: some versions of this book are called "The Fasting Path".

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 July 2012
This is simply the best book on fasting I have read. It is amazing and beautifully written. I am the first British reviewer (surprisingly) - but if you look on Amazon.com, i.e. the US site, you will see alot of other people have similar views.

It is very intelligent, really puts fasting into a spiritual perspective (as well as the physical and emotional aspects), in a way that I have not seen done anywhere else. At the same time it is very down-to-earth, easy to read and non-cranky (which I find some fasting books to be) An excellent book I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative scientific and spiritual guide, 26 July 2013
This book gives reliable and reassuring information, important for anyone considering a juice or water fast over several days or weeks.

The author writes in depth on the science of fasting, what happens in the body, and why it is so beneficial. He also offers excellent guidelines for a pre- and post- fast cleansing diet including juice recipes, so that you have a comprehensive plan.

I enjoyed the wisdom offered on how to approach the fast mentally and spiritually, the advice clearly comes from personal experience, and will help you get the most out of your fast.

In the earlier chapters of the book, Buhner outlines some of the many and major ways a diet of processed food and common pharmaceutical drugs are harmful to body, mind and spirit. If this is news to you, you'll find that part useful too.

Happy fasting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging and inspiring, 28 Nov 2013
A. H. Calkoen - See all my reviews
An easy to read book which makes fasting sound logical and easy . It encouraged me to immediately start and I was able to continue without a battle. Buhner addresses physical, emotional, mental and spiritual aspects of fasting which makes it sound very sensible. Must admit I skipped some bits here and there. I could have done with more recipes but they are widely available .

5.0 out of 5 stars book for the mind as well as body, 17 Feb 2014
Book is ok but is a bit in depth for me on the spiritual side.if you want to understand more how the mind works on a fast as well as the body it would be worth a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 17 Aug 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 July 2014
Great book

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have better, 10 July 2012
Physical section was ace, emotional section covered 50percent ok spiritual section didnt do it for me, at this section expected more insights affects on spiritual development,

5.0 out of 5 stars AS EXPECTED, 13 July 2014