Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 12 July 2013
Overall, this is a fantastic and thorough read. It puts human diet in it's most scientifically relevant context, something which standard nutrition advice fails miserably to do. Even if you're well read on low-carbohydrate or Paleo-style nutrition, there will undoubtedly be many things thing book can teach you. With her extensive knowledge and clinical experience, Gedgaudas is extremely good at identifying common nutrition/lifestyle based problems and offering totally practical and viable solutions. Her writing style is somewhere between text book and popular press, which works well given the topics covered, but you'll certainly need to concentrate. It's a book for the more informed reader. At over £10 for the kindle version, it is expensive, but in my view, the content justifies the price.

I will say that it's not perfect. I have given 5 stars because the content is thorough, engaging, relevant, and very interesting. BUT this book could do with a much more thorough edit. For example, Nora recommends supplementing with omega 3s at least 2 dozen times, which while important (and perhaps worth repeating) becomes tedious when the book is long and you know you've already read this information. Admittedly, it is hard to avoid such repetition with many of the topics in this book, as they are all so interlinked. Often however, she's repeating herself within a few pages of a piece of advice, which just comes down to a better attempt at editing the book.

The only other minor gripe I have is that this is very much still an American version, and has not been edited for the UK market. As such, all units are in US imperial, and all recommendations for blood tests and the like point to US institutions and businesses. It's not like you can't convert a few units quickly and do some of your own research to get yourself tested, but a quick edit on their part would tailor the book more kindly to the UK market.

Despite this, Primal Body is still one of the best books I've read on the subject. Definitely recommended. In no small way, it will probably increase your lifespan!
on 2 August 2014
This was my first Paleo book and it was a great introduction. Very science focused but clear. Loved the Primal body but the Primal mind didn't interest me as I didn't relate to it so felt disappointed that this took up the second half of the book. I bought this on kindle and wish I had bought a 'real' book as it is useful to be able to flick back and refresh on the scientific terms. Would recommend to anyone who wants to know 'why' Paleo works and not just how to follow a lifestyle.
on 9 March 2013
If you are serious about your health and well being you must read this book! All the foods you have been told are good for you are actually contributing to societys decline in health. There are shocking revelations about corporate greed and how we have been brainwashed into eating all the wrong foods. I am now a convert to a paleo diet and have never felt better.
on 3 September 2012
The book is an easy read for all whose who are interested in the health effects of food.

However, I found that the author cherry picked the research that suited the book topic. For instance, she recommends only a small intake of fruits due to the fructose. Her argument is that advanced glycation products are more readily synthesized from fructose than glucose. True. However, the glucose intake is much higher than that of fructose, therefore at the end of day, fruit fructose isn't much of a culprit. Additionally, one would have to eat several kilos of fruits per day in order to get sufficient AGE-forming fructose. And that over months! I want to meet the person who is doing that without "floating". Furthermore, fruits are packed with essential nutrients and antioxidants, plus the fibre these contains positively changes the uptake of fructose in the gut. And damn, they taste good!

I found the author also seemed to prefer anaerobic training to aerobic training. Well, we as humans are physiologically made for pursuit hunting and therefore aerobic training. Pursuit hunting allows a group to kill prey without much use of massive weapons, since an exhausted prey is for example easily killed by stoning. The authors should have checked the research first before commenting on it. Again, one ability's for aerobic training is determined by his or her genes, so I would not expect everyone to be able to run for hours BUT we all can run. The authors herself interestingly, likes anaerobic exercise.

These are two topics I remember not to have agreed with. There might be more?

If you do not work in science, than this book is a useful read. Data bases such as or Google Scholar are a better source for information regarding specific topics, especially when it comes to diseases. For those who know how to research medical publications, skip this book. It's not worth the money.

I give her three stars for trying to help and educate people. Also, it is not entirely wrong, just in some bits. These "bits " shouldn't be. I agree with the dietary idea behind the book as the research of recent years does.
on 10 December 2014
In my opinion, this is perhaps the most important book on nutrition and health ever written! The rationale of the book makes perfect sense and my own sense of well-being was transformed by a primal diet in just a few days, seriously. I am also a chronic asthmatic and my breathing has improved beyond recognition. No, I don't have a financial interest in this book, but I am an avid reader of popular science and self-help books and I would rate this book in my top five of all time in terms of its importance and value to me.
on 20 August 2014
I don't normally review books I buy but I made an exception in this case. I have read many books now on Paleo and low carb diets etc as I am a type 1 diabetic but this I would say is the most comprehensive and expansive. So much valuable information and practical advise on how to improve your health. Quite a number of important bits of information I had not read before.

If you really want to improve your health (both physical and mental) read this great book.

Thanks to the author.
on 7 April 2014
Written by a women and very readable. I just couldn't put it down. So many little bits of information you just wouldn't get to know unless you studied nutrition. Did you know that aspartame and Xylitol started out in a lab as something else, the latter as an insecticide! I am impressed as to the depth of knowledge the author knows about her subject. This book complimented that of Loren Cordain and Chris Kresser. The theory was exactly the same but not repetative, just a very good read.
on 28 January 2014
This book has vital information that everyone should know. We all need to open our eyes and see what's in plain view. The person who has the biggest control over our health is us, this book gives us the information to empower ourselves and reclaim our health. Highly recommended.
on 3 April 2013
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Primal (and it's cousin Paleo) is a way of life that involve eating little or no carbohydrates to improve health and quality of life. Low carb works, but this book is a very flimsy introduction to the subject for 2 reasons:

1. The research is terrible. Gedgaudas continually gives `facts' that are unsourced and descend into quackery. (No Gedaudas, ADHD cannot be cured by magnesium intake, Wi-Fi is not like tobacco and a quarter of the world's population are not celiacs). The few named sources given are re-quotes from light magazine articles and well known low carb books (including one that has been discredited by the low-carb community!).

2. Gedgaudas tells you how easy it is to pop to your local store and pick up grass fed chicken (on this plan all meat must be certified grass fed), then stop off at the farm next door and buy a gallon of `delicious' unpasteurised milk. Right....

It was no surprise to learn that the author published this book herself, no publishing house would have taken it.

(If you want to know about the biology behind low-carb read The Diet Delusion, if you just want to jump in and get low-carbing any of the Atkins books are a good starting place.)
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse