5.0 out of 5 stars Curiouser and curiouser....
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is from start to finish a fantastic young adult novel. Ransom Riggs has written one of the most original and inventive debuts I've ever read.

It follows the story of American teenager Jacob who journeys to a small, remote Welsh island to discover the secrets of his grandfather's childhood. He comes across the ruins of...
Published on 28 July 2011 by Charliecat

3.0 out of 5 stars Unusual
It's pretty hard to show any originality in books these days, but I was pleasantly surprised by how different this book was. The plot has been cleverly interlinked with many unsettling vintage photos of children doing unusual and spectacular feats.

The story is complex with many mysteries, that are sporadically punctuated with strange photographs. This creates...
Published on 18 July 2011 by Kirsty

‹ Previous | 135 36 3743 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and very novel premise for a book, 1 July 2011
james-Arundel "james-arundel" (Arundel, West Sussex, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After a mysterious family tragedy, sixteen year old Jacob Portman travels with his somewhat vague and distracted father to a remote Welsh Island to uncover the secrets of his Grandfather's childhood. Here, left very much to his own devices, he discovers the ruins of the 'Peculiar' children's home his Grandfather once lived in. Within its crumbling walls, he finds clues as to the past occupants, and unwittingly steps into what at first appears an insulated, idyllic existence, but one which masks something much more sinister beneath.
Having just finished this book, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Built around the collection of extraordinary (and freakish) old photographs, this is a sometimes touching, always complelling story drawing the reader into a paralel world or time, where Riggs artfully paints his characters and settings, creating a reality that is convincing, whilst as much a fantasy as 'Hogwarts' and the world of Harry Potter.
Certainly a story to appeal to adults and teens alike, and one that is ripe for a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars now entering a fabulous adventure in time, space & photographs, 28 Jun 2011
David Spanswick (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With allusions to films as diverse as Groundhog Day with its déjà vu repetitions, Brigadoon and Lost Horizon to novels such as Alain-Fournier's Le Grand Meaulnes
and even James Joyce's Ulysses Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children takes you on a wildly surreal and mind-expanding journey.

The author, Ransom Riggs weaves his story around a collection of wonderfully strange photographs obviously donated by friends as acknowledged in the book. There is always a danger in such an enterprise that these images will become dictatorial in the way the narrative progresses but Riggs constructs so complex and bizarre a story that almost anything will hang true. He is a very convincing story-teller and you become mare than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt just so you can find out what happens next...the true measure of a great story.

The novel is haunting and will stay with you long after you have turned the final page of this superbly produced volume, the copy I had contained so many physical surprises ( I am not going to reveal her) that I felt I was indeed holding something quite magical as I read.

I can not recommend this brilliant book highly enough and would also draw your attention, dear reader, to Ransom Riggs's website which includes his films as book trailers

4.0 out of 5 stars A Peculiar Debut, 24 Jun 2011
Wiltshire Bookworm (Chippenham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is as quirky and peculiar as its title and cover photograph suggests and is a strong debut by author Ransom Riggs.

The pictures dotted throughout the book have been culled from various private collections and remind me of Diane Arbus: Monograph (Aperture Monograph). Their strange and otherwordly nature are key to understanding the peculiarities of most of the characters portrayed and is a neat way of describing them without weighing down the text, especially as most of them don't feature too much but serve to heighten what the main character, Jacob is discovering about his grandfather, himself and the Home he has sought to find.

The book is the tale of Jacob from Florida, who as a boy is captivated by his grandfather's tales of the mysterious orphanage on a remote island in Wales he lived in during WWII. He seems haunted by his time there and paranoid about the monsters who might now be out to get him. Jacob initially believes these tales, but later as he reaches his teenage years he dismisses them, especially after he learns of the true horrors of WWII that his grandfather fled.

Then his grandfather dies in horrific circumstances which Jacob witnesses. His nightmares result in his family taking him to a shrink who finally agrees that Jacob should travel to the Welsh island to lay his mind's demons and the ghost of his grandfather to rest.

What follows is a fantastical journey and Jacob's discovery of who he really is...

It's an imaginative story and well told on the whole. Sometime the language used jarred with me, especially as there wasn't really any distinction between that of the various locations (NB I'm using the term location here in a very wide sense, so I don't give the game away too much). The use of photos in the story is a novel (sorry for the pun!) idea, but I sometimes wished they weren't there as I would have liked to use my imagination more. I also felt the book ended rather abruptly - probably because the author had an eye on writing a sequel rather than running out of ideas. These minor quibbles are the reasons why I've awarded 4 stars.

A book in the Young Adult market which deserves to cross over into Full Adult.

5.0 out of 5 stars A supernatural modern classic, 22 Jun 2011
Discerning - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I opened the cover with some trepidation because the jacket photo is rather creepy...
However, we begin by reading about the normal life of Jacob, an American teenager, which is a little reassuring and in fact the book is less sinister than it might appear. Jacob has grown up listening to his grandfather's veiled stories and dismisses them until a tragedy occurs, which sets him on the path to Cairnholm, a Welsh island with some peculiar inhabitants in a world of their own. The story is beautifully written and interesting and it is not surprising that the film rights to the book have been bought already. Written from Jacob's viewpoint, it is a very accurate portrayal of a teenager and his thoughts and the humour is amusing. The vintage photos throughout the book are intriguing and are a major contribution to this book's originality. There is clearly going to be at least a sequel because the story doesn't finish at the end but it tapers well without too much disappointment at a natural pause. A great book for teenagers and one that will be remembered...

4.0 out of 5 stars fab and strange, 18 Jun 2011
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book is a uniquely different read and not at all what I was expecting when I first picked it up.

The first thing you'll notice about this book is that it is presented with photographs dotted every so often on the pages. The pictures are really random ones and it's hard to imagine before you start reading how they fit into the story but they really do.

The story itself follows Jacob on his quest to find out more about his grandfather's past and I assume is the first in a series from the way it ended.

I liked the story itself. I'm not going to even try to explain it as I don't know where I would begin. It was both a bit comical and a bit creepy as well as having a good measure of mystery thrown in. I liked that the ideas in it as strange as they were fitted together well and seemed to be well thought out.

The main character Jacob is fab. I found him to be quite funny but also enjoyed following him on his mission to find out more about his grandfather and the people he claimed to have lived with in the strange pics (which he assumed were fakes) he has seen all his life. I liked following him and seeing how he looked at the decisions that came his way. I can already see (if there is a sequel) that there is so much more to him and his character that hasn't yet been explored.

All in all a book that is definitely unique in the YA market and one you should seek out if you want a good mystery and adventure story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy enough to read, 7 Nov 2014
Ok, but will not go rushing out to buy any more in the series. Easy enough to read, not too taxing on the old grey brain cells with regard to remembering the plot and characters. Bit disappointed as seem to think I bought it because I saw it was a 'recommended read'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sad to say a thumbs down., 2 Dec 2014
This review is from: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children) (Paperback)
I am sorry to say that I did not enjoy this book at all. I found the writing style rather dull and the plot rather childish. I was so looking forward to reading this book as well! On the positive side it was delivered on time.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic read, 20 Nov 2014
What a fantastic read!!
Such an amazing story; a bit of fantasy and real life mixed in.... Loved the twists and turns....quite a few surprises as well...could not put it down... Can't wait to read the next one in the series

4.0 out of 5 stars amazing read, 16 Aug 2014
I really loved this book and the way the pictures were incorporated into the story. The characters all have there own story and I would really like in the other books to find out more about some of the other children's past

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Cinematic, 5 Aug 2014
I love how this book doesn't only help me imagine but makes me feel like I am there in many cases. It was an easy and exciting read. I will soon start the second one as this one doesn't have a closure at the end.

‹ Previous | 135 36 3743 | Next ›