5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious
Published 17 months ago by Jacquie

3.0 out of 5 stars Homemade are a world away from shop bought marshmallows!
Marshmallows are in vogue at the moment, with at least 3 books already on Amazon, and another 2 soon to be published. Marshmallow Madness by US Food blogger Shauna Sever is one of them.

Published 23 months ago by FussFreeFlavours

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Marshmallow Madness!: Dozens of Puffalicious Recipes (Hardcover)
Received this book for Xmas from my husband. When I opened I thought, oh no, it's full of American ingredients. Fear not anyone put of buying due to this, I have successfully managed to make these mallows by substituting corn syrup with golden syrup. I noticed you needed corn starch and powdered sugar, a quick look on Google and I realised these were corn flour and icing sugar. You can also convert American cup measurements online. One thing I do think you need is a free standing mixer. I think my arm may have dropped of if I was mixing these by hand. Overall 100% better than shop bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars mad about marshmallows, 23 April 2012
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Fresh homemade marshmallows taste so much better than shop bought ones. You'll find several great recipes here including the usual like Vanilla to the extraordinary like Beer Float. I like the Sea Salt Caramel and Buttered Rum - yummy. In addition recipes are included in which to use marshmallows. These include dunking and desserts. Love the Blonde Rocky Road and S'Mores Cupcakes. So if you love soft, fluffy marshmallows, this is the book for you. One other thing I really loved too, the cover of the book is soft, feels like a marshmallow. This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics website.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 19 Feb 2013
easy to follow recipes and ideas, love making my own, especialy the marshmellow lollies, therse look great with a sweet table, so much better than bought marshmellows.i cant wait to do more sweet tables as these home made mellows look great

3.0 out of 5 stars Homemade are a world away from shop bought marshmallows!, 8 Aug 2012

If you have never had a proper homemade marshmallow then you must. Go and make them or buy them. You will be amazed at just how good they are, poles apart from the chewsome boring commercially produced once. A homemade marshmallow is light, pillowed and totally delicious.

I did wonder how marshmallows could expand to fill a whole book, surely there would be several base recipes and then lots of flavour variations, but there are nearly 100 pages here, all full of recipes, techniques, hints and tips.

Starting with a clear "101"' introduction Shuana explains the different techniques of marshmallow making, splitting it into making the gelatine "bloom", the syrup and then the mallowing. There is a good equipment list (a stand mixer really really helps, but is not essential). Moulding, shaping and storage are all covered, as well as an interesting comparison of using egg white vs no egg. For vegetarians there is one vegan - gelatine free - recipe in the book.

Before reading this book I had made marshmallows several times, I found the basic recipes work well and loved some of the flavour variations, buttered rum were a huge hit, although possible more suited to a winter's evening than a boiling hot summer's day. Other flavours which caught my eye are a chocolate malt, key lime, peanut butter and strawberry. The suggestion of using jars of baby puree for flavouring is genius - all the ingredients to whip up a batch can then be kept in the store cupboard.

About 1 in 3 recipes is accompanied by a bright clear full page photo.

I love the suggestions for making more interesting mallows by layering, twisting, filling, piping and using moulds and cookie cutters for making the amazing creations shown on the cover of the book. A nice touch is that the book cover is also "puffy" to match the mallows within.

My only gripe is that this is an American book with cup measurements only, a weight conversion would be handy. Similarly American ingredients and stockists are listed with no UK equivalents.

Because of the absence of weight conversions and UK/EU stockists I am giving this book 3* for European readers and 4* for US.

4.0 out of 5 stars a present, 29 May 2014
Bought as a present for my Goddaughter as she's in to catering. Book looked good though, but not my thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad!, 5 April 2014
Mr. B. Kaplan - See all my reviews
It's ok for some ideas, not sure I like the long winded way of making some of recipes but it's OK!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of lovely ideas, 6 Feb 2014
Lots of lovely ideas with the basic technique well set out and lots of variations. Soft puffy cover adds to the fun feel of the book

Marshmallow Madness!: Dozens of Puffalicious Recipes
Marshmallow Madness!: Dozens of Puffalicious Recipes by Shauna Sever (Hardcover - 5 April 2012)
11.19