4.0 out of 5 stars Literary anarchy!
Some of the negative reviews here seem to be because of the varying expectations of the reviewers: so I guess it's worth saying that this isn't an `introduction' to Jane Austen - this book relies completely on a fairly close acquaintance with the original. In fact it is Austen's original text, intersected and broadened by the interpenetration of the `horror'/SF/imperial...
Published on 1 Nov 2009 by Roman Clodia

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever But Unsatisfying
I picked up Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters (S&S&S) mostly out of curiosity. I had read Quirk Book's first 'Austen Mash Up', Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance-now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem! (Quirk Classics), and found it to be, as my review said, a 'A Disjointed, One Joke Effort' that just about scraped two stars. I was interested...
Published on 18 Feb 2010 by C. Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Holiday Read, 18 July 2011
D. A. Hart "Mum to Rob" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters (Paperback)
Bought this book as a holiday read, going next week so fingers crossed its going to be a good read!

3.0 out of 5 stars One joke stretched to 350 pages- funny moments, but a laboured read, 5 Dec 2009
Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The idea of parodying a classic novel isn't new, but this novel and its predecessor "Pride And Prejudice And Zombies" both take parody to a new level of earnestness. This is principally NOT a comedy book. This is principally a re-adaptation of an old novel into which some sea-monster based horror has been carefully interwoven so that as you read it, you get both an Austen romance and a squelchy B-movie at the same time.

It's actually quite hard work, particularly at the beginning. Ben Winters is determined that this story will actually make sense as a romance. The prose is mostly very much in keeping with Jane Austen's tone, which unfortunately makes it incredibly dry and dense. At 350 pages it begins to feel like a bit of an uphill struggle and the occasional squid-related death begins to feel like a little treat to try to encourage you to keep reading through the tedious romance bits.

The second half of the novel speeds up somewhat, as the monster action starts to take precedence over the romanticism- especially once the characters find themselves under attack by lobsters on Sub-Marine Station Beta.

Essentially this book is one good comic idea ("let's put monsters into a Jane Austen novel") stretched to breaking point. Contrasting the self-centered, romance-obsessed, petty culture of Jane Austen's whimsical and self-righteous characters against the brutal and violent murdering going on around them is really quite funny, but there aren't enough other gags going on to sustain interest.

If you want a really silly (and much much shorter) parody try "Wuthering Heights According To Spike Milligan".

3.0 out of 5 stars Still Jane Austen, 20 Nov 2009
Mr. N. England (Wimbledon, London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to say I was very intrigued when I came across this book. It seemed to cry out to every fibre of my being that I should not delay and read it immediately. I have a love of all things sci-fi and I'd never had the inclination to read a Jane Austen before and this seemed the perfect way to read a classic and not have to step away from the pulpy novels I usually read.

But that was where I met my downfall. Whilst I enjoyed it on a certain level (Giant sea monsters on the rampage will always be appealing to me!), I encountered something I guess I didn't expect. I found it really hard going because of Jane Austen's style of writing. I was so enamoured with the concept that I forgot how the way an author writes is often as or more relevant to your enjoyment of a book than the story (I should have remembered given the amount of books I've read where my enjoyment has been murdered by awful writing!).

What I'm really trying to say is that you can tart a novel up all you want adding bits here and there but when it comes to the crunch it's still the same novel and in this case it's a novel I've never been interested in. Unfortunately even the addition of sea monsters couldn't change that.

If you like Jane Austen's style of writing and you've got an open mind regarding the concept of playing with the classics you might quite like this. If you've never liked Jane Austen and you're hoping this might sway you, you'll come away disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars You have to know the Original to get all the jokes and references, 25 Oct 2009
Mimi Moor - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pride Prejudice and Zombies was inspired, original and was guaranteed to engender a slew of lookie-likey's... We have Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, Queen Victoria as a Demon Hunter, and Mr Darcy, Vampire.. where will it all end? Shagging with Shakespeare? (now there's a thought to ponder... "Alas poor Yorrick, I knew him Horatio - now drop thy breeches and let's been having you!")

To really appreciate the fun of the book, it's essential to have more than a nodding acquaintance with Jane Austen's original, otherwise a lot of the textual cleverness just slides right over your head. For a Jane Austen afficionado, these books are a must - if only to engender squeals of outrage at the sacreligious references.

For those of us less well acquainted with the originals - it's an interesting read but Pride, Prejudice & Zombies is probably the best of the pack.

1.0 out of 5 stars Well, yes. What can I say?, 4 Nov 2009
T. Walker (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has to be one of the most bizarre books I've ever come across.
"The Dashwood sisters are evicted from their childhood home and sent to live on a mysterious island full of savage creatures and dark secrets. While sensible Elinor falls in love with Edward Ferrars, her romantic sister Marianne is courted by both the handsome Willoughby and the hideous man-monster Colonel Brandon. Can the Dashwood sisters triumph over meddlesome matriarchs and unscrupulous rogues to find true love? Or will they fall prey to the tentacles that are forever snapping at their heels?"
What? I don't know who thought this up, but they have some very strange ideas. No thank you, I'll pass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous fun, 6 Oct 2009
kehs (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters (Paperback)
What a fabulous, fun read. Not sure if it's everyones cuppa but it caused me to laugh out loud several times. Gory, but in a Shaun of the Dead way, very Jules Vernish and extremely funny.

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Jane Austen (Paperback - 15 Sep 2009)
7.66