4.0 out of 5 stars Who knew zombies could be cute?!?!
I received this book as a present and was sooo pleased with it (thanks Helen). However, as someone with absolutely no knowledge of crochet am struggling a bit (maybe Im just a bit of a thicky).
It is a very lovely book, and I will be making everything in it - just need to get to grips with the basics of crochet and I will be well away!
Published on 3 Feb. 2009 by M. Tracey

2.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessarily complicated
Published on 1 Sept. 2010 by Aisling McD

2.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessarily complicated, 1 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More (Hardcover)
The designer has made the patterns unnecessarily complicated, The same effect could have been achieved with more simpler increasing and decreasing patterns. While the wee figures are great - buy another book not this one. Once you've some practice you can probably create similar characters yourself anyway. I am very experienced at crochet and struggled to understand the directions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Who knew zombies could be cute?!?!, 3 Feb. 2009
M. Tracey "All the Crafts" (Bedford) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Scarily cute stuff, 18 Nov. 2008
Ms. N. Brown - See all my reviews
This book is brilliant! The patterns are very quick to make up and I've found them especially useful for using up those almost-finished bits of wool that I've got lying around from other projects.

I especially like the Knight pattern, complete with mini crochet helmet and shield, that I made as a gift (perfect for the newly single- why wait for a knight in shining armour when you can crochet one?!).

I also like the way the book is small and hardback- this makes it easy to carry in a bag for crochet on the move.

Only drawback is I want to make so many of these I may get overrun by a mini army of skeletons, zombies and spartan warriors. Also I agree with the first reviewer- don't get this as your very first crochet book, you'll need to know the basic stitches to complete the patterns.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful instuctions but very cute pattern ideas, 26 Jan. 2011
A. Hull - See all my reviews
I have to say I was relieved to read some of the reviews here as I was wondering if it was just me! The instructions in this book are hopeless. I thought I wasn't reading them properly (I'm very new to crochet)as, following the basic pattern for the body shape, I kept ending up, at the end of the instructions, with only half a body shape. Thinking it was me reading it badly I wrote out all the stitches in a linear fashion, taking them from the stitches illustration, which is so small you need a magnifying glass. I had to ask my husband to read out the stitches. In the end I just made up the rest of it, decreasing in a logical fashion.

I have only made the little black ninja figure which was meant to be 'beginner'.
You have to crochet a little tie to attach to the head part ... oh my goodness what terrible instructions! totally ridiculous! I made up my own instead. Impossible to follow.

The so called 'magic ring' instructions are hopeless too. They make no sense and I just had to follow logic to make the ring instead.

This is a lovely little book to have and look at but just don't bother buying it for the patterns, because they don't make sense, and you end up rows and rows short at the end. It is NOT for beginners. In fact it will put you off.

One the upside ... i only started learning to crochet two weeks ago and the ninja I made was the second thing I have ever done. Trying to fathom the pattern out has really helped me learn about increasing and decreasing to make a shape, and what goes into a pattern. I have managed to make 2 ninjas now but I have had to make up my own pattern, which I have carefully written out to keep and use over again to make my little ninja zombie armies!

A nice book for visual ideas ONLY.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ideas, but not for beginners., 22 Oct. 2010
I have been crocheting for a while and can follow patterns for amigurumi (which are generally executed in the round). I bought this book because I love all things amigurumi and this was offering something a bit different from the usual cutesy bunnies and bears patterns. This book is packed with great ideas, very imaginative with nice pictures and a funny, casual style of writing which I really like.

My one problem is the way in which the author has written the patterns (all of which are based on a basic head, body and arm pattern). I could not get my head around the use of [inc] instead of say, [1sc in next sc, then 2sc]* continue round. Perhaps it is a US thing but it seems a lazy way to write a pattern and quite intimidating to anyone who is new to crochet in general or amigurumi specifically. For this reason I would not recommend it to a beginner, but to someone who knows how an amigurumi pattern works.

Personally I did not follow the patterns (because I found them hard to follow), but made my own up based on the excellent and imaginative ideas in the book, and my own experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and very quick once you get the hang of it, 26 Sept. 2011
My boys aged 6 and 8 were mad about this book from the moment it arrived. The 6 year old has already named his grim reaper 'Grim-y' and taken it to school for 'Show and Tell'. Like a previous reviewer, I quite enjoy the mildly shocked reactions some adults have when inspecting the creatures.

Many reviewers have mentioned the difficulties they had with the patterns. For those new to crochet I would point out this is a US book, meaning that if you are familiar with UK terminology, you have to translate the instructions whilst you go. The book assumes some prior knowledge and there is no basic explanation of how to make the stitches. As such, this should not be the very first crochet book you buy if you are just starting out. However, there is no reason why it shouldn't be your second.

I did feel that some of the descriptions and drawings could have been a bit clearer and I did Google 'magic chain' to make sure I was doing it right. I found that having the pattern maps printed alongside the worded pattern was a real help. Whilst your first head and body might be a touch tricky, the bonus is that almost all of the models are based on the same head and body combination, meaning that it is very straightforward after that. The accessories and eyes are often made of felt or modelling clay. If you don't like felt eyes, embroider them. Similarly, whilst I enjoy making small scythes out of FIMO, I do accept this isn't really crochet anymore. If you don't want to model a sword or spear, a cut-out one of silver card will work just as well...or if the modelling clay takes longer to arrive than expected, your child will probably come up with their own Lego design. And that, I think, is the best part of this book. It is such an appealing source of creativity that it seems to inspire the whole family. We've only made three figures so far, but everyone has perused the pages until they were just about memorised. In short, my family love this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish instructions, 12 Dec. 2010
I am relatively new to crochet and have completed an elephant, a rabbit, baby boots and a duffel-styled baby cardigan. I can read a crochet pattern but found the instructions in this book absolutely abysmal! The instructions for a 'magic circle' are especially bad and do not make sense at all. Fortunately I have another book 'Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet' which has much better instructions. I am basically using this book to create my little monsters but using the designs from 'Creepy Cute'.

This book is not for the novice as they will get very frustrated. I would definitely check out other books first.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really unclear instructions, 14 Mar. 2011
Y. Jones (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been crocheting for a few months (well one) to de-stress from my student lifestyle and picked it up really quickly, it all made sense and have created some quite hard amigurumi characters. I know most of the stitches and thought that even if I didn't know the stitches in the book I would be able to work them out or the book would have instructions.

It doesn't! I found the instructions really unclear and when I looked at the explanations they were really very poor and basic. If I didn't already know the basics and tried them it would be impossible.

Also although the characters are really cute it's all in the finishing (and I didn't really think that they had created a wide range, all very similar and some are so dull).

Also to get the pretty eyes similar to ones in the book is impossible in Scotland, although they suggest making them out of polymer clay (pfft!) and without them I feel that they lose their charm. The other finishing details such as the knights sword etc are horrendously complicated and if you don't get it right it looks like crap.

In all if you can decipher the instructions, have all the time in the world and the patience of a saint then this book is for you. Otherwise get a pattern off the internet and save your money to get some nice wool.

4.0 out of 5 stars The title is half right, 2 Jun. 2008
Actually, it cute all the way. If you like amigurumi and are looking for a book full of quick gratification projects this is great. It's full of sweet little guys to make and I'd knocked out a couple within a few days of buying this. I would say that although the patterns are mostly pretty simple it's probably for people who already know the basics of crochet. The couple of patterns I've worked up also didn't work out exactly right for me, but that's not really a problem as crochet is a very forgiving craft, and the patterns are so quick and small that if you do make a mistake it's just a few minutes to undo and correct it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute but not really for complete beginners..., 13 April 2009
This is a very cute book that brings a new audience to crochet. The basic pattern for the body and head can easily be adapted to suit any figure you fancy, although you already have lots of choice - the Spartans from 300, Mexican Day of the Dead figures, Cthulu and lots more.

The only problem I have with the book is that, as a complete beginner, I found it a little hard to get started and bought the "Not Your Mamma's Crochet" to explain some of the stitches and abbreviations.

Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More
Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More by Christen Haden (Hardcover - 1 Jun. 2008)