5.0 out of 5 stars The "Book Lady" advises us to dream, learn, care and be more
Published 16 months ago by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read
Published on 14 Feb. 2013 by Steve M

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Book Lady" advises us to dream, learn, care and be more, 26 Dec. 2013
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dream More: Celebrate the Dreamer in You (Paperback)
I have been a fan of Dolly Parton's music since 1978, when I started collecting vinyl records. I have also read some books including three biographies. From those books and information I've read, I was aware that Dolly did her share (if not more) of charity work, but I'd not explored it. However, I had learned that she gives millions of books away to children to give them a better chance of learning to read.

When I first saw this book, I hesitated before buying it, but I'm glad that I did. It appears that in her local area, children know her as The "Book Lady" because that's how they first knew about her. I know that her music doesn't get as much radio airplay as it once did, and that may be a factor too, but Dolly has always been a positive thinker and in any case, she long ago ceased to need radio airplay. It is Dolly's positive thinking that is at the heart of this book.

I have often compared my life history with others, and the contrast with Dolly is stark. She comes from a very poor background, but from a very close-knit family, so it would seem = and I have no reason to disbelieve her on either count, because it shows through in her songs. Meanwhile, I come from a family who were certainly not rich, but who lived comfortably by the standards of the time. However, I wouldn't describe my family as close-knit. There are many different family situations the world over. Despite her poor background, Dolly was actually one of the lucky ones. She was surrounded by people who were willing to help her achieve her dreams, even if they didn't agree with what Dolly wanted to do.

The advice Dolly gives is soundly based, but for each individual, it is a matter of how much of the advice they are able to take. For example, if a child cannot do anything to please his or her parents or guardians, then unless they can get positive feedback from others, they aren't likely to grow up to be positive adults.

Over the years, I've learned from other sources that some of the advice here is absolutely spot-on - for example, you should know your own strengths and weaknesses, and make adjustments as far as possible.

Towards the end of the book there's a section containing quotes that Dolly is remembered for.

This is a great little book by a highly intelligent woman who knows what she's writing about.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 14 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Dream More (Hardcover)
After watching Dolly's speech at the UoT, I felt I needed to own this book, however, the book is only 120 pages, so managed to read it in an evening, and she does quote A LOT Of lyrics! I'm a die-hard fan of Dolly, and the book was a good read, but I dont think the cost of the book was justified. By all means get it cheaper, but get it second hand, its not worth more than £6!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 18 May 2013
It was a good audiobook on 2 cd's. I got 4 kassetts with an audiobook speaked by Dolly Parton, but this one was just better in some way. I do like she sings a little bit and the story she tells can be connected to the songs. Just breathtaking! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, 7 Feb. 2013
J. King "JK" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream More (Hardcover)
Really love this inspired book from Dolly, felt inspired after reading it. I love the fact that she doesn't pretend to be anything other than who she is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Dream More (Hardcover)
Brilliant book - Dolly gives practical and inspirtational advice on how to set your goals, and how to go out and get them. Awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!!, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Dream More (Kindle Edition)
Dolly parton is by far THE most awe inspiring woman in the world!! I've been a fan for many years and her way with words has always been apparent but since reading this beautiful book and really taking in every word of it, she's inspired me to reach for my dreams and try a little harder! Would recommend this book to anyone and everyone! Thanks dolly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dolly At Her Best!, 21 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Dream More: Celebrate the Dreamer in You (Paperback)
Can't give a full review here as this book was bought as a present (although I intend to borrow it to read at a later date!). I did, however, read a short sample before I purchased it and was well impressed with it. It was Dolly at her best - down-to-earth and telling it as it is. It promises to be a good read when I can get my hands on it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Dream More (Hardcover)
Great read for any Dolly Parton fan (or even if they aren't). I just like how she is able to put words together and tell a story either in book form or in song

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting!, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Dream More (Kindle Edition)
Great read, just wish there was more about Dolly and her earlier life, which is why it is 4stars and not 5!

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly remarkable book, 24 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Dream More (Kindle Edition)
Everybody should read this book, truly inspirational. Dolly Parton is an amazing woman who I have seen in concert twice. Her life story is a testament to believe in your dreams.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dream More: Celebrate the Dreamer in You
Dream More: Celebrate the Dreamer in You by Dolly Parton (Paperback - 5 Nov. 2013)