Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 July 2007
Where to start..... Well, the first thing that strikes you when you open the book is, despite the flashy cover, the text inside looks as though is has been produced on a typewriter and photocopied. It really is that cheap. The text is all in one flat typeface, most characters are blurred/smudged, while in other places they appear to have taken no ink at all. In fact, just 2 pages into my copy, there is a blank stripe about half an inch wide down the entire page.

The smudged text, conveniently, disguises the copyright date of this book. As far as I can make out, it appears to be 1928. Leaving aside the advances made in medicine and psychology since then, the age of this book leads to comments such as "In this day the man who gets excited should be looked upon as an undisirable person. The person of good breeding now speaks with a slowness and deliberation". Or my favourite, "This is the reason why persons who drink strong drinks, who allow themselves to get into fits of temper, who fight, who eat stimulating food, who sing and dance and thus develop their emotions, who are sudden, vehement and emotional, lack the power to concentrate".

If you want a self help book that definately seems to believe in tough love, written in the age of steam (indeed, some comparisons are made to steam trains), is condesending and not at all easy on the eye text-wise. This is the book for you. If not, I can sum it up for you; be emotionally dead, don't eat or drink and E numbers, and definately do not come from the working classes.

Please, don't waste any money on this. I gave it one star, but only because I can't go any lower.
on 24 August 2007
It's true. This book was written in the age of steam (1905 I think), and yes it does use steam engines as metaphores, and yes the print on demand copy I had wasn't the best, but my advice is buy it anyway.
It does a great job in reminding you that to get anything meaningful and worthwhile in life you must CONCENTRATE! Concentration must be developed in everything you do. This basic tennet is what the book is all about and chimes as true today as when it was written. The only jarring assertions in the book for me were the more spiritual ones to do with higher powers and thought projection. Also the main thrust of the book is toward business, and oh yes - it's only addressed to men (of its time you see!).
on 21 August 2012
I got this on kindle so I cant comment on the printing issues other reviewers have had. While I would admit the author does come across as a bit of an elitist at times, this should not take away the benefit you will get from the book. The 20 concentration and breathing exercises alone are worth the small price of the book. I did find this book for free on the internet but bought it on kindle for convenience sake.