5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a writer, you must own this book
The main selling point of this book is that its author, Betsy Lerner, is an editor turned agent, thus able to provide a true insider's perspective. And she really excells at doing this.
Published on 15 Nov. 2002 by Holly

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
I'm sure this book is useful to some but for me, I was hoping for more writer's pitfalls and things you shouldn't do- it was a bit more in depth. I'd hoped for more tangible writing help...
Published on 17 May 2011 by Greenwoodlady

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a writer, you must own this book, 15 Nov. 2002
Holly (Kent) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The book is divided into two sections. The first examines the psychology of the writer. If you're anything like me, you will be amazed at how much you identify with the picture she paints of a writer. It's a fascinating read. More practical advice comes in the second section. Here she tells us about the whole process, from the initial submission of your work, right through the editing procedure, to the marketing. Everything you could ever possibly want or need to know about what it takes to turn your work into a novel is here.
Lerner really knows what she's talking about and she dosn't leave anything out. Any question you could possibly have is answered in detail.
It's also a beautifully written book,and packed full of anecdotes about and from literary legends, as well as own amusing, entertaining stories. It never becomes boring or too full of facts, because it is written so well and interestingly.
I also find it motivates me to write. If I ever fall out of the pattern of writing or get frustraterd, this book will get me excited about writing and give me self belief.
I could not say a bad word about this book, and I would urge you to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable, 23 July 2004
sam155 (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
If you've ever wondered what happens to your beloved manuscript when you finally drop it into the letter box, this is the book for you. Betsy is on the side of the writer, and indeed, the book buying public, as her aim is to produce enjoyable fiction. She gives constructive and sympathetic advice which would normally take years to pick up from experience alone. I have read this cover to cover and I keep it handy as a reference. She has a warm, chatty tone, but she also gives you the facts. This book was recommended on the Lisa Jewell website, and as far as I'm concerned- it was well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a reference book..., 5 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to Writers (Paperback)
What I love about this book is the way Betsy gets right to the heart of all those doubts and fears you have about your writing. Every question answered in such detail and with such care. You can tell she is someone who genuinely understands the agonies and ecstasies of the aspiring author. Such a brilliant agent/editor insight too. It certainly dismissed some of the pre-conceptions I had of them and has given me a real confidence boost.

From submitting your manuscript right through to the editing stage and beyond, Betsy covers it all, with warmth and sincerity. A really well written reference book, with lots of entertaining stories and anecdotes thrown in. A must for any budding authors out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference book, 29 July 2014
I don't usually wax lyrical over reference books; neither do I normally read them from cover to cover and make a note to read them through again more slowly. There is so much advice out there, and there is a danger of being over-advised instead of just getting on and writing and finding your own voice. Basically, what I am saying is if you read this book then you don't need to listen to a whole lot of other stuff about writing. Part of writing is finding out what kind of writer you happen to be. This is a fun and scary section to read. I think I have worn one or more of those hats over the years!

The reason I came across this book is that I was deliberating over whether or not to embark on yet another writing course; i.e. do I have the time, money, motivation etc etc. This book happened to be on the recommended reading list for one of those courses. So I guess I bought the book instead of the course. Getting it as an e-book would have been nice if there had been an option, but I don't want to drag myself into that old discussion again. I'll keep that for the next writing course I attend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 11 Nov. 2012
I found this book really well written and full of wonderful advice. I highly recommend it to anyone taking their first steps into writing and publishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 4 May 2013
Came across this book by chance on a recommended reading list for a writers course. I was enthralled, the first half is almost a psychology book on the workings of a writers brain from someone who has spent her life supporting writers.. It is very perceptive, amusing, thought provoking and honest. I lent it to a friend who is a published author, she has now bought her own copy saying it's wonderful to have a book where the author clearly understands every aspect of the writng process from the inside out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Oct. 2014
Read!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 17 May 2011

The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to Writers
The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to Writers by Betsy Lerner (Paperback - 5 Oct. 2010)