4.0 out of 5 stars What Was, 8 May 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Not Becoming My Mother: And Other Things She Taught Me Along the Way (Hardcover)
'Not Becoming My Mother' sounds like an indictment of a woman we don't want to know. Instead Ruth Reichl has given us a glimpse into the life of a woman who seems ordinary on the surface. This is a glance into the environment of women in the 1930's. For those women, life was as a wife, mother and homemaker. What happened to those women who wanted more, who wanted a life of their own?

Mimi Reichl as a young woman wanted to be a physician. She was told by her mother, however, that this was not for her. Her father told her she had a very able mind, but she was a homely woman. What an indictment for a young woman. She traveled with her family and was able to study abroad. She did obtain her doctorate but in music not as a physician. She married young so that she would not end up an old maid. However, this marriage did not work out. So, with two children she moved to New York and tried to find a life for herself. Her parents were ever available but they were so negative- she never did anything right. Mimi remarried again to a man she loved and truly loved her. Mimi was not interested in the home, cooking and cleaning were not her thing. But what was her thing? It was not until her husband died and she recovered from his death that she found her niche. All these years and finally she was on her own and living the life she wanted.

Ruth Reichl examines her mother's life on what would have been her mother's 100th birthday. It is an introspective look through her mother's writings and letters. Ruth Reichl understands her mother and has some regrets, but she understands that her mother wanted the bet for her and wanted a life that would be fulfilling. This is a book that brings us a glance into the life of one mother, and gives us a yearning to think about our own mothers and what they have given to us.

Recommended. prisrob 05-08-13

5.0 out of 5 stars be warned, 22 Jan 2011
K. M. Newitt (UK) - See all my reviews
I have not read this book yet, but have given it 5 stars because I am sure I will love it - I am a fan of Ruth Reichl's writing and have loved all others I have read. But I wanted to warn other keen fans, if you wish to collect all of her writing, be warned that this title is the same book as 'For you Mom, Finally' - it was changed for paperback version. I ordered both thinking I had another two books to look forward to and wish it had been made clear that it was the same book

Not Becoming My Mother: And Other Things She Taught Me Along the Way